Official Game Thread: United States vs Czech Republic | Page 30 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Game Thread: United States vs Czech Republic

ckb2001 said:
Yeah, sorry for the mistake, was writing too fast. Anyway, all my points are still valid.

What points? That the players you mention all play either in substandard leagues or aren't good enough to play in the good leagues? In fact the best player in terms of standard of the league he plays in, doesn't get a game - Bocanegra.

Or the points that you can't do a forecast because of the poor standard of group games you play and the rest are friendlies.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Boomer, I agree 100%, the US is making great strides in soccer (Football in your terms)

The big boom started about 10 years ago in the USA, and its getting bigger and bigger.

In the next 10 years, I believe the US will be the real deal to worry about.

But it takes baby steps!

I think America has the ability to become a top 10 team. But it needs a change at the top - I think Arena has been in charge too long and has taken them as far as they can go; and I think that the standard of players needs to improve and that will only come when they're testing themselves against the best in the world in the best 3 leagues - Premiership, La Liga and Serie A.

ckb2001 said:
Like I said you didn't read it carefully. What I wrote refers back to post #404. Many of the players you were mentioning are stars, so when I say Egypt and Greece don't have the talent, that was what was being referred to, as you yourself can verify.

I'm ignoring the facts? What fact did I ignore? You must show me a fact that was stated that was ignored and was relevant to this discussion. I had a large number of posts dealing with the CONCACAF group vs EURO groups, so I didn't ignore that. As you see you are ignoring the facts.

Anyway, you again ignored my plea for a formula so I'll stop with this (until you do produce one or until you have new accusations).

I'm not sure how many times I've told you that you can't make a formula when you play Honduras and Haiti and then a bunch of friendlies that mean nothing. You have essentially beaten Portugal and a substandard Mexican outfit. That's it. You haven't won anything. You're not as good as Brazil or Argentina or France or Holland or England or Germany or Italy or the Swiss or Turkey or Greece or the Ivory Coast or Portugal or Spain or Sweden, etc. etc. etc.

ckb2001 said:
I keep telling you: ELO rankings. They have a formula using results that puts the US at #13 and most people consider that to be the best produced so far.

What is the ELO? No-one has an idea what that is. Plus, as I say YET again, beating Haiti and El Salvador and Honduras is hardly indicative of the top level of world football. As shown against the Czech Republic yesterday, you are a long way away from dining at the top table when it comes to football.

I've just checked the ELO rankings. They have Australia, Uruguay and Romania in the top 15, which underlines just how pointless they are.

Boomer said:
What points? That the players you mention all play either in substandard leagues or aren't good enough to play in the good leagues? In fact the best player in terms of standard of the league he plays in, doesn't get a game - Bocanegra.

Or the points that you can't do a forecast because of the poor standard of group games you play and the rest are friendlies.

My points were summarized (for the nth time) in posts #424, #426, #427, and #429.

Boomer said:
I'm not sure how many times I've told you that you can't make a formula when you play Honduras and Haiti and then a bunch of friendlies that mean nothing. You have essentially beaten Portugal and a substandard Mexican outfit. That's it. You haven't won anything. You're not as good as Brazil or Argentina or France or Holland or England or Germany or Italy or the Swiss or Turkey or Greece or the Ivory Coast or Portugal or Spain or Sweden, etc. etc. etc.

People have made such formulas, so your claim can't be correct, and I've given you examples. That something means nothing to you doesn't mean many other soccer professionals think otherwise. I thought that fact was so obvious I didn't have to respond to that. Obviously, I do.

ckb2001 said:
Here's a link to what ELO rankings are: same as used in chess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

And here's again the link for soccer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_football_rating

It's a very good statistical technique and not too easy to improve upon (doesn't mean it's perfect, just not easy to produce a better one).

How on earth can it be statistically correct when it has Romania at 15? They're ranked there because they beat Finland Armenia, Slovenia and Northern Ireland and drew with Colombia.

Give me a break.

Boomer said:
What is the ELO? No-one has an idea what that is. Plus, as I say YET again, beating Haiti and El Salvador and Honduras is hardly indicative of the top level of world football. As shown against the Czech Republic yesterday, you are a long way away from dining at the top table when it comes to football.

I've just checked the ELO rankings. They have Australia, Uruguay and Romania in the top 15, which underlines just how pointless they are.

A lot of people know about ELO, and it's based on a sound statistical technique. I gave you a link that gives a layman's description of it. Why not try reading it first before asking what it is?

I never said they were perfect. But you have to try to produce something like this to make sure we have an objective method of ranking. Like I said, produce a better one.

ckb2001 said:
My points were summarized (for the nth time) in posts #424, #426, #427, and #429.

But your 'points' have been deconstructed. Players are not good enough, are playing in substandard leagues and America is playing poor teams to get highly ranked on an unheard of ranking system that ranks Romania at 15 because they beat Finland, Slovenia, Armenia and Northern Ireland???

Prime Time said:
Hating on US..that will never change

Grow up. Where is anyone hating on America? You're not good enough at the moment, get used to it. It isn't hating, it's fact.

Boomer said:
But your 'points' have been deconstructed. Players are not good enough, are playing in substandard leagues and America is playing poor teams to get highly ranked on an unheard of ranking system that ranks Romania at 15 because they beat Finland, Slovenia, Armenia and Northern Ireland???

My points weren't deconstructed, and you're starting to make this look like a case of a reading comprehension problem.

I didn't say those rankings were perfect. I said YOU produce a formula so that I can see the method behind your ranking!!!!! Can you understand that???

Boomer said:
Grow up. Where is anyone hating on America? You're not good enough at the moment, get used to it. It isn't hating, it's fact.

We're not good enough for what?? Please explain.

ckb2001 said:
People have made such formulas, so your claim can't be correct, and I've given you examples. That something means nothing to you doesn't mean many other soccer professionals think otherwise. I thought that fact was so obvious I didn't have to respond to that. Obviously, I do.

The examples have been shown up for what they are.

ckb2001 said:
A lot of people know about ELO, and it's based on a sound statistical technique. I gave you a link that gives a layman's description of it. Why not try reading it first before asking what it is?

I never said they were perfect. But you have to try to produce something like this to make sure we have an objective method of ranking. Like I said, produce a better one.

And I've highlighted the stupidity of it, by having Romania in there for beating Andorra, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, etc.

ckb2001 said:
My points weren't deconstructed, and you're starting to make this look like a case of a reading comprehension problem.

I didn't say those rankings were perfect. I said YOU produce a formula so that I can see the method behind your ranking!!!!! Can you understand that???

:sidelol:

Which part of THERE IS NO FORMULA THAT WOULD WORK AS YOU PLAY POINTLESS FRIENDLIES OR HAITI AND EL SALVADOR don't you understand? Jesus.

Back
Top Bottom