Official Heat-Pistons Series Thread! | Page 35 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Heat-Pistons Series Thread!

TerryTate said:
IT matters when you bring up the character of one player, I'll just turn it right around to a player that you root for.

Sorry I got off the computer last night so I couldn't answer your question about Rasheed's charity contributions. I see that HVAC did already mention what Magic Johnson said to 'Sheed after the game though.

Anyway, yes I did mention how 'Zo was a big baby to get out of his contract and then you started talking about how Rasheed is not a model citizen which had no point to my argument. Now I see you post the quote above and I wonder that when I question Alonzo's integrity why do you start talking about Rasheed to me? Your quote above says that if someone talks bad about a player that you like then you will talk bad about a player they root for correct? Well when did you get the impression that I am a Rasheed Wallace fan to bring an argument involving him against me? It sure as heck wasn't my sig that gave you the impression that I am a "Sheed fan so it seems to me that you contradicted yourself quite well last night. At any rate I believe we can agree to disagree and move on.

Den54 said:
Is that the best you guys can come up with? Attack my team because yours did'nt make it to the big dance? :lol: Whatever....if it helps with your grieving process more power to you. :D

The Orlando Magic....... :lol:

I feel better already.

Den54 said:
Is that the best you guys can come up with? Attack my team because yours did'nt make it to the big dance? :lol: Whatever....if it helps with your grieving process more power to you. :D

At least the Magic have made an NBA Finals appearance ;)

nyjunc said:

And the Dolphins went undefeated.....and Notre Dame football dominated the 1930's....

None of that matters now.

BTW nyjunc.....you are a Nets fan...what is the situation with Cliff Robinson? I wouldn't mind having him come off the bench for the HEAT....

Section126 said:
And the Dolphins went undefeated.....and Notre Dame football dominated the 1930's....

None of that matters now.

BTW nyjunc.....you are a Nets fan...what is the situation with Cliff Robinson? I wouldn't mind having him come off the bench for the HEAT....

Nothing is official but I don't expect him to be back, when the season ended word was he wasn't going to be back

nyjunc said:
Nothing is official but I don't expect him to be back, when the season ended word was he wasn't going to be back

I would take him....what do you think of him as a fit on the Heat bench?

Section126 said:
I would take him....what do you think of him as a fit on the Heat bench?

I think he can still be a productive bench player, he's got size but he's not a banger. He's be a good permiter compliment to Shaq as he can knock down the open jumper and has 3 point range. he's sort of like apoor man's Rasheed Wallace in that area.

Not that you asked me, but as a Pistons fan, I saw a good deal of Uncle Spliffy's work over the last few years. Here's MHO...

Offense: He's got zero post game left and about the only shot he can hit these days is the 15 foot turnaround jumper. I don't think he's grabbed an offensive rebound in four years, though. Decent passer who sees the floor well given his size and relatively high basketball IQ.

Defense: His defense is still okay, but it's more bark than bite now. He'll get bullied by bigger, stronger 4s and 5s but might have some success in spurts against a taller, lankier 4. Best case for Miami, the Heat could put him on Rasheed Wallace for 5-10 minutes, much the same way the Pistons use Elden Campbell for brief runs against Shaq.

Given that Miami does have Alonzo Mourning around to handle wide-bodied post players, Robinson might be a good fit, as he's a far better defender than Christian Laettner, though he's not as much of a rebounder. He'd be a worthwhile pickup for the veteran minimum, but much more than that and you're pushing it.

Terry where you're mistake is that Wade is NOT as good as Kobe so it's a mute piont and if you believe he is than I'm talking to wall.To asnwer your "if" question yes I would've expected Shaw and Fisher both being vets Shaw having been there before to step up a helluva alot better than the Heat "role players" did.And sure as hell wouldn't lose a game 7 at home.

TerryTate said:
Den54 here is an example for you since you are a laker fan, if Kobe were to get a freak rib injury in the middle of the Lakers-76ers NBA championship series and would be just as effective as D-Wade, including him taking a seat in game 6, would you have honestly said "no one wants to hear about injuries, Brian Shaw and Derek Fisher shouldve stepped up" as the Lakers blew a 3-2 lead to lose in game 7?

Puhlease :rolleyes:

nyjunc said:

And probably won't be making another one during our time......

Nice post Phil

phunwin said:
I'm not sure if Detroit would have beaten a healthy Miami or not. Like I said, I've been saying all along (going back to the moment the Heat traded for him) that Shaq couldn't be counted on to be healthy anyway, so it seemed moot.

By pinpointing Campbell's accomplishments, you (inadvertently) raise the biggest problem with Shaq. Campbell is a big, strong center who, in a 94 foot sprint, could be timed with a sundial. But he can deliver a hard foul as well as anyone. And he's one of the few centers around who's fairly effective against Shaq. But, in a perfect world, there's no way on God's green earth that Campbell should be able to hang with Shaq, even for the five minute stretches he's assigned to.

Here's the thing that frustrates me about Shaq (alert: tangential rant). Obviously, I'm no great fan of the Heat, nor the Lakers. But I am a fan of well-played basketball. The Shaq of 2000 (maybe 2001, too) was COMPLETELY different than the current version of Shaq. The Old Shaq was a 7-1, 315 lb (or so) big man who had exceptional quickness for his size and still had some serious hops. He was big, powerful and explosive. I remember the Finals where they played Philly, and poor Dikembe Mutombo, the best defensive center in the NBA, was about ready to hang himself in the shower after the series. That's how thoroughly Shaq embarassed Deke. When Shaq called himself "Most Dominant Ever", he had a point.

After that, he got fat on his success. He added bulk and lost his explosiveness, a loser tradeoff if there ever was one. His added body weight contributed to more injuries, and the fact that he was still winning titles only fed the "I can eat what I want, work out when I want and get in shape when I feel like it" line of thought. He didn't care about his in-season injuries, so long as he could get ready for the playoffs. I don't blame him; the guy's got 3 rings and probably has a net worth in the nine digits. But still, it's frustrating as a basketball fan.

Then last year came, when Detroit DESTROYED Shaq and the Lakers in the Finals, in the single most one-sided five game series in recorded history. Shaq got run out of town and realized that he had to get back in shape, but it was too late. That quickness is long gone. Shaq has almost no hops now; relying on his bulk to outmuscle players for rebounds. His knees are probably shot, though (to his credit) he's never complained. He rebounds in a phone booth at this point, healthy or injured. Did he get a single rebound in this series that didn't come right to him? On offense, he's still unstoppable inside 8 feet, but his game is so limited compared to what it used to be, and what it still could be. His defense, save for the occasional highlight reel block, is mediocre. That's why Rasheed and McDyess had so many open jumpers; Shaq won't dare venture outside the paint.

Like I said, it's frustrating to me as a basketball fan. I can't imagine how frustrating that would be to a Heat fan. </rant>

phunwin,.....you are forgetting something....this is not FAT SHAQ anymore....

The man got in shape.....and will be in shape.....

He is still the most dominant player in the game.....and as for the Pistons series......

The man was playing on one leg and had the "Defensive Player of the Year" looking like a fool.

I don't get this SHAQ hate now.....

The guy got hurt...and then got hurt again in the playoffs.....If you saw him play this season....you saw the SHAQ of three years ago.....until he got hurt...

The injury slowed him down....But to start the seaosn he was weighing 320...and was lightning quick.....

Us HEAT fans saw him all year....you phunwin seem to have only seen him play in the playoffs.

Was he not an MVP candidate?

Section126 said:
phunwin,.....you are forgetting something....this is not FAT SHAQ anymore....

The man got in shape.....and will be in shape.....

He is still the most dominant player in the game.....and as for the Pistons series......

The man was playing on one leg and had the "Defensive Player of the Year" looking like a fool.

I don't get this SHAQ hate now.....

The guy got hurt...and then got hurt again in the playoffs.....If you saw him play this season....you saw the SHAQ of three years ago.....until he got hurt...

The injury slowed him down....But to start the seaosn he was weighing 320...and was lightning quick.....

Us HEAT fans saw him all year....you phunwin seem to have only seen him play in the playoffs.

Was he not an MVP candidate?

I don't hate Shaq at all. But I am, as a basketball fan, frustrated by him.

You're absolutely right, he was in good shape this year. In fact, I stated exactly that: he got himself in shape. But all those years of being Fat Shaq took an irrevocable toll on his quickness and probably his knees (though like I said, he's never complained about it). He was an MVP candidate. In fact, if I had a vote, I probably would have voted for him, if only for the huge change in wins for both the Lakers and Heat.

But the quickness, even when he's healthy, is absolutely gone. He averaged 10.4 boards this year, the worst of his career. I watched the Heat in the regular season, too, when Shaq was healthy. He wasn't getting any rebound that wasn't within his immediate wingspan. His defensive rotations are slow and he freely surrenders a 15' jumper to any opposing big. (Of course, with Ben Wallace, that's obviously a non-issue.) He's still the best center in the NBA, because he's the only center who is capable of destroying you on offense all by his lonesome. And if you had to pick sides in a pickup game with your life on the line, he'd probably be the first pick (it's either him or Duncan). But he's not the player he once was, and he never will be. His defense has fallen off a cliff; that's the biggest drop in his game.

Back
Top Bottom