*Official 'knocks' thread: 2012 Draft Prospects* | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*Official 'knocks' thread: 2012 Draft Prospects*

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
This thread is specifically for knocks, concerns, questions, red flags or things of that nature that pertain specifically to technique, character, or physical limitations of any and every prospect in the 2012 draft.

Every prospect has a knock, there are no perfect prospects in any draft. Not even the elite, blue chip players are immune...

This thread is for those that have studied players and are familiar with even the slightest concerns they might have regarding ALL eligible prospects.

Again, this thread is specifically for knocks... leave the man crushes and foaming at the mouth for the other threads. Furthermore, don't pick players to knock because of bias. Avoid choosing only prospects that you dislike for one reason or another. Pick players that you like. In order for you to like them, you must be familiar with their game.

I'll start with Brandon Weeden.

I've gone back and watched several of his games many times over. One of the concerns I have with Weeden is his ball placement can get sketchy. He's a streaky passer. Has a tendancy to miss high on throws because he doesn't always set his feet. Even on passes that end up completions, many times the throw is simply too high on in breaking routes, which could result in getting his receivers some hurt ribs going over the middle in the NFL.

Too much confidence in his arm at times, and will try to force throws that aren't the most sound decisions. Telegraphs a lot of his throws outside the numbers, which is where the majority of his interceptions happen.

Plays in a system designed to inflate stats, and against bad defenses nonetheless in the Big-12. The stick/draw concept of Dana Holgorsen is not one you're going to make a living on in the NFL.

Obviously his age, and wear and tear on his shoulder from throwing a baseball. Throwing a baseball is one of the most unnatural things the human body can do.

Continue with knocks you have on Brandon Weeden, or move on to another prospect if you choose.

Obvious knock on Vontaze Burflict: He may be legitimately crazy. Has all the talent in the world, but can he figure it out mentally and mature? As of right now, he's destined for a strong locker room that can help him to mature.

Alfonzo Dennard - CB - Nebraska

Too physical and fiesty for his own good. Technique gets sloppy trying to bully receivers in press. You can't get away with a lot of what Dennard does in the NFL... they'll flag him. He'll have to learn to use better technique throughout and transition to a little more of a bump-and-run style.

Temper got the best of him yesterday as he tried to rough up Alshon Jeffrey all game, only to see Alshon easily seperate from him and run by him for a huge gain on a 9-route. They went at it all game and it was a good battle that shouldn't have ended with both players getting ejected. Jeffrey shouldn't have been ejected to begin with, although I thought Dennard deserved to be tossed for throwing punches.

Size. He's a little on the short side at around 5'10".

yep...dennards way too hands on for the next level right now...he's gonna have to play with better technique and not get so handsy down the field or the yellow hanky will never be in the officials pocket at the next level...i wonder about his straight line speed also after watching jeffery run right by him

burflict also can go for the kill shot instead of wrapping up and using sound tackling technique...and yeah slimm weedens ball placement to me isn't great at times...

Donte Paige-Moss. His stock just took a major hit after tearing his ACL...and although I havent seen to many UNC games this year from a numbers standpoint his impact plays were down from last year...lacking some consistency it seems which is another red flag. Still...it will be interesting to see how far he will drop because he seems to have the talent to be an impact player. Could be a guy you take a flier on later in the draft and hope he recovers. High reward if he does...

Donte Paige-Moss. His stock just took a major hit after tearing his ACL...and although I havent seen to many UNC games this year from a numbers standpoint his impact plays were down from last year...lacking some consistency it seems which is another red flag. Still...it will be interesting to see how far he will drop because he seems to have the talent to be an impact player. Could be a guy you take a flier on later in the draft and hope he recovers. High reward if he does...

he's got character concerns as well... Check out his twitter rant about declaring for the draft and how the fans don't support the team.

Agree with Dennard. I know Raheem Morris loved Dennard for the Tampa 2. Otherwise I don't know where he fits.

Alshon Jeffrey.....big 6'4" wide receiver....weighs 220, but looks closer to 240. He could end up being heavy like TE Antonio Gates, but man can he catch the ball. I think Jeffrey is the 2nd best WR behind Blackmon, and Floyd third, if we go after a WR.

Morris Claiborne - CB - LSU

Honestly, it's hard to find a knock on Claiborne. I told hoops back in October that this was the best defensive player in the country in my opinion.

However, the only thing I've seen Claiborne be susceptible to is the double move... and the only time I've seen it happen is in the first half of the SEC Championship Game against Georgia. His recovery speed and hips still allow him to recover even when he finds himself out-of-phase.

That's the only knock I have on Claiborne. I hope we can get him a time or two on a double move in New Orleans....but I'm not counting on it.

do we really need a CB Slimm? i think we are in good shape with vontae and smith... no?

only thing i would say about claiborne is sometimes he looks bored to me out there...and i've seen him a few times have some issues in the slot...

don't forget claiborne hasn't been playing in the secondary his whole life. He was a WR, and with time he will perfect the position.. I think he can be darell revis like...but like mentioned before, seems to get lulled to sleep and than bites on a double move...

fixable, sky is the limit for this kid IMO>

I'm not sure Brandon Weeden really makes his living on the stick/draw concept. As for whether it's used in the NFL or not, it is. I've seen Green Bay use it several times.

There's nothing wrong with having a Y-stick built into your passing game. The Saints use the concept a lot in there passing game.

My point was that Weeden made a living off the stick/draw concept last year. He's improved his ability to go through progressions from last year to this year.

Now it's more of a stick/slant concept... but it's still a 1 progression/half field read designed to beat man or zone coverage. The playside OLB is the read key, and nobody beats man coverage like Justin Blackmon on the slant. Nobody puts himself between the defender and the ball against zone better than Justin Blackmon.

Weeden is a fine quarterback and has gotten better. I don't necessarily see "Jesus in cleats" or whatever term is commonly used now for inflated Big-12 quarterbacks, but I see an NFL starter if he's surrounded with enough talent and protected.

Back
Top Bottom