Offseason Player Salary Structure | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason Player Salary Structure

Orlando-FinsFan

Starter
Reaction score
I was bored and curious so I figured I would ask the experts. How do player salaries work during the offseason? I thought they only received a minimum amount and then the "game-day" salaries and bonus' were where most of their money was received.

If that is correct, how does a 1-year salary work in regards to the cap? If a player signs a 1-yr. deal with no signing bonus and he's cut before the season starts, does his salary count against the cap for that year?

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks!

:happydrin

If im correct if they sign a deal with no signing bonus if you cut them it does not count aganist the salary cap.

I think he is right. Even if you sign a 10 year deal, if there is no signing bonus, there is no cap hit. It's the SB and roster bonuses that kills the cap. Salaries don't really affect it much.

NLude33 said:
I think he is right. Even if you sign a 10 year deal, if there is no signing bonus, there is no cap hit. It's the SB and roster bonuses that kills the cap. Salaries don't really affect it much.

....Im not sure if I read your post correctly or not:

If you sign a 5 year 20 million dollar contract with no signing bonus, that 4 million a year counts against the cap.

With signing bonuses, if a player is cut and doesnt have a signing bonus, there is no dead cap hit.

Your cap hit for the year is that year's portion of the signing bonus + your base salary. Salaries CAN impact it a lot. Look at Marty Booker, he has no signing bonus but a base salary of 2.9 million.

Philter25 said:
....Im not sure if I read your post correctly or not:

If you sign a 5 year 20 million dollar contract with no signing bonus, that 4 million a year counts against the cap.

With signing bonuses, if a player is cut and doesnt have a signing bonus, there is no dead cap hit.

Your cap hit for the year is that year's portion of the signing bonus + your base salary. Salaries CAN impact it a lot. Look at Marty Booker, he has no signing bonus but a base salary of 2.9 million.

I think he meant if they are cut. So if they sign a 5 year deal for 20 million and then you cut them, there is no cap hit. Booker only counts against the cap because he is still on the team.

also remember that during the offseason, only the top 51 salaries on a team count against the cap. If a player that falls outside the top 51 is cut before the 53 man roster comes into effect, his salary would not be counted against the cap unless he had a signing bonus.

Then why don't more teams sign players to long term contracts with no signing bonus?

gottahavefootba said:
I think he meant if they are cut. So if they sign a 5 year deal for 20 million and then you cut them, there is no cap hit. Booker only counts against the cap because he is still on the team.

That is exactly what I meant. I did not word my post very good....thanks for clearing it up for everyone in question.

finmann said:
Then why don't more teams sign players to long term contracts with no signing bonus?

Because the signing bonus is garunteed, in their hand money. Otherwise you could sign for 5M per year for 10 years, and they could cut you after 2 and not be out anything. It is basically a blend of job security and financial security. That is why Ryan Leaf is still a very rich man. He got a huge garunteed signing bonus to suck.

finmann said:

because the players wont agree to such contracts. They realize that without the signing bonus they could be cut (or injured) at any moment and be out millions of dollars.

In the above mentioned contract with Marty Booker, Chicago paid his signing bonus. We just took over his yearly base salary when we traded for him.

The signing bonus is essential in the heavily capped era we are a part of. Because players are becoming more frequent transactions, it's a way to solidify a paycheck. The performance based pay program allows for an additional pay implement in addition to a weaker signing salary.

Back
Top Bottom