Ogden Will Be Traded....A.J/Baker Will Make Team (merged) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogden Will Be Traded....A.J/Baker Will Make Team (merged)

An excellent idea, trading depth for draft picks. What we should do is take thoes two add a pass rushing DE & an O. Lineman and try to trade the Vikings for the unsignable OLT Mckinney from the U of M.

Merman, unsignable to us as well. We have nowhere near enough cap room to sign McKinnie or have have the firepower to acquire him either. We can't trade a pick before the 5th rd.

You think a few scrubs that make our team a 5th rd pick are gonna get McKinnie?

Well we CAN trade a pick before the 5th round, what we can do is work out a contingency pick situation based on Ricky Williams' production this year. Like we give up our 1st round pick if Ricky rushes for less than 1500 yards, and if he rushes for more than 1500 yards we give up our 2nd round pick, and our 2004 1st round pick, for McKinnie.

And when you say that we don't have the cap room to sign McKinnie either you're right, I won't say you're wrong, but I hope you know exactly why you're right. We don't have enough left in our rookie allotment pool to sign Bryant McKinnie. We do however, have enough under the salary cap per se. If a trade for Bryant McKinnie would also be trading us the remainder of the Vikes' rookie allotment, then it wouldn't be a problem...but somehow I doubt that happens.

As for signing a passrushing DE, who? Who is out there? You think they just grow on trees? Can you just say "Hal, give me a defensive end...good passrusher....and I'll give you 650k" Besides we're filled to the brim with DE passrushers like Ogunleye, Bowens, Burnett, Williams, and JT. Free agents don't grow on trees Merman.

sounded like we're trying to dump guys we're gonna cut to get some extra more picks, but we are not looking for any new players

"As for signing a passrushing DE, who? Who is out there? You think they just grow on trees? Can you just say "Hal, give me a defensive end...good passrusher....and I'll give you 650k" Besides we're filled to the brim with DE passrushers like Ogunleye, Bowens, Burnett, Williams, and JT. Free agents don't grow on trees Merman."

Holy mother of monkeys, they don't!?!?!? Everything that I believed to be true was a lie? WHY!!! Why was this done to me!! OK, I'm done......

We are filled to the brim with mediocre pass rushers - except for Taylor.

You think a few scrubs that make our team a 5th rd pick are gonna get McKinnie?

Absolutely not. I do think the Vikings need players and they really wanted an DT in the draft. Mckinnie and the the Vikings are both probably disgruntled with each other especially with the accusation of collusion with the Chiefs.
Giving up 4 players maybe wishful thinking but not worth discussing?? Like adding which DE and OL would make the deal appealing enough to both the Dolphins and Vikings?? Now if that kind of deal is impossible then I've learned something. But it would be nice to get a healthy OT by trading some of our depth.

You can't trade a drafted players rights within so many days of teh reg season. (I believe it's 2 weeks) So Minn would have to sign McKinnie and then trade him so forget it.

They wouldn't take that kind of cap hit, and they certainly trade him once they actually sign him.

Look it up, I'm sure there's a rule that states you can't trade an unsigned drafted player so many days before the reg season and we are almost there.

I also don't think the rookie allotment trades but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Ogden Will Be Traded....A.J/Baker Will Make Team

While none of this is etched in stone, this is what I think will go down. I just have that feeling.

AJ is showing too much as a returner to let go. This guy is gonna take one back THIS YEAR. Honestly, I didn't give him much of a chance to make this team. Especially coming off that torn ACL. But he has suprised me.

IMO, I don't feel that Baker necessarily has to beat outOgden ourtright for the 5th WR spot. I feel that he only has to come close in order to win the job. The reason being that Ogden is a proven commodity. Baker isn't. So therefore we stand a better chance of getting something back for Ogden. That said, I feel that Baker has shown enough as a WR to warrant trading Ogden to this point.

I figure this move will come AFTER we face the Texans.

Your theory basically mirror the thoughts of the writer who wrote Odgen, Grant can be traded..I think you're right, that's why they will let Odgen returns some punts Sat..to let other teams see him and put a bide in..The question is..who and what position do we want back in return.and can that person make the team?

I'm sure we'd want a low rd draft pick. Maybe a DB who can be the dime or extra corner who doesn't play.(ala Fletcher last year.)

Doubtful that any team will give up even a 7th round choice for Ogden , really no need to. There are clones of him looking for work after cutdown day and all throughout the year . Yes he is serviceable, at times , but has no trade value in my opinion.

Grant may have some teams interested because of the dearth of talent at his positon . A very late round pick at best is what he may bring.

Baker has upside , some polish , and looks to be hungry. All positives.

Albert Johnson the third , has quickness ,very good return instincts and really improved from the start of his first season till the end.

He seems to have recovered well from his injury , I think he has to make the team as opposed to the practise squad . The NFL has an agreement with the CFL about signing players in their option years , but it was not intended to include practise squads. I believe they have become more strict in enforcement of the intent of the agreement.

I watched AJ3 all of his season in Winnipeg and have no doubts he is right now a better return guy than Ogden . Potentially much better , but right now... he will give you more positive yards immediately.

How the cuts go will give some insight re the philosophy , safer more secure or roll the dice somewhat and see what comes up.......

I know what i would do.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Your theory basically mirror the thoughts of the writer who wrote Odgen, Grant can be traded..I think you're right, that's why they will let Odgen returns some punts Sat..to let other teams see him and put a bide in..B]

Yes, I read that. But my take is that Baker doesn't have to beat Ogden outright to take Ogden's spot.

Muck..............

Originally posted by Muck
While none of this is etched in stone, this is what I think will go down. I just have that feeling.

AJ is showing too much as a returner to let go. This guy is gonna take one back THIS YEAR. Honestly, I didn't give him much of a chance to make this team. Especially coming off that torn ACL. But he has suprised me.

IMO, I don't feel that Baker necessarily has to beat outOgden ourtright for the 5th WR spot. I feel that he only has to come close in order to win the job. The reason being that Ogden is a proven commodity. Baker isn't. So therefore we stand a better chance of getting something back for Ogden. That said, I feel that Baker has shown enough as a WR to warrant trading Ogden to this point.

I figure this move will come AFTER we face the Texans.

I'm going to have to agree with you on that. Robert has really impressed me with his speed and overall athletic ability to make the acrobatic and most difficult receptions. It's just great that he's been able to stay healthy thus far and here's a vote hoping that tune won't change.;)

Back
Top Bottom