Ogunleye Update | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogunleye Update

DolFinatic718

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
OGUNLEYE UPDATE

"Agent Drew Rosenhaus said restricted free agent Adewale Ogunleye will not get an offer sheet from another team by the deadline Friday but is still hopeful some team will be willing to trade for Ogunleye once the restricted price of a first- and third-round pick is off starting Saturday.

The Dolphins and Rosenhaus have had no serious negotiations on a long-term contract for Ogunleye."

what do u guys think?

what kind of trades are the fins looking at being offered?

I wouldn't accept anything less than a first round pick for Ogunleye. I am against trading Ogunleye since it would give us a whole at DE, and I doubt that any DE in this draft will be as good next season as Ogunleye. Ogunleye lead the AFC in sacks last year, so you can't just give him away. I hope he is a Miami Dolphin next year.

Miami would have to get a quality starting player and a 2nd or 3rd round pick, IF he can work out a contract with another team....My feeling is that most likely any deal that is worked out can be met by Miami, unless the team front-loads the offer so that we cannot match it..

BTW...I don't want to lose Ogun either...I think we need him...But he his not getting the offers that Drew thought he would get when this all started....

Well ice, me and you seem to be on the same thought proccess today, because I agree with you here also, unless we can get a top 5 pick i wanna keep him.

It does not matter if Miami meets offers from another team or not, after April 16, he is no longer an RFA. He will be under contract with Miami!

I think we may see a trade after the tag is lifted. It would open up more possibilities. Players and picks could be swapped as opposed to just a first and third to sign him. I think we could see him get traded for a quality Olinemen or perhaps at an early first round pick to help us swipe Andrews, or one of the top QB's, WR's.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I wouldn't accept anything less than a first round pick for Ogunleye. I am against trading Ogunleye since it would give us a whole at DE, and I doubt that any DE in this draft will be as good next season as Ogunleye. Ogunleye lead the AFC in sacks last year, so you can't just give him away. I hope he is a Miami Dolphin next year.

This would be the best scenerio, but remember, this draft is really deep at the spots we like. We could use two early second rounders to grab some great value at DE, OL, WR, LB, FS

I'd do two EARLY 2nd rounders for OGUN.

I think if anyone was willing to do a 1st and 3rd they'd have signed him already. I think 2 early 2nd rounders would be better for us than one late 1st rounder.

Originally I was kinda for trading Ogun but recently I watched some phin games from last season (Dallas, @ NE, Philly) and I kinda hope we keep the guy. He rushes the passer like mad and he plays pretty good against the run too. And I praise the dolphins for not giving into a greedy agent like Rosenhaus, and letting him look like a fool with this whole deal. The bottom line is that no other team was willing to give up the necessary compensation to get ogun. So when the RFA deadline has passed the ball will be in our court just like it's been all offseason. I have faith that Speilman will get this done or he will get good value in return. I think if he's still a dolphin april 26th the day after the draft, he's playing for us next year. He basically has no other options.

I hope we keep the guy, but for some reason everyone is focusing on what we should get in trade (prob b/c many think he will be gone after next season and we will get nothing in return!)...he's young and a great talent and he has that intangible: the desire to excel in the NFL

well the way i see it i'm wondering how the FO is going to handle the situation. They are not talking with his agent and Ogun is still hopefull for a trade after the deadline. So right now maybe the FO is using him as bait to see what other teams are willing to offer. But more importantly I'm not sure if we will be able to sign him long term.

I do want O-gun back though, he is young and he is "getting in his prime" which is the type of players Rick is trying to bring and keep on this team.

I'm sure they are just waiting until after the draft to handle this. With the draft less than two weeks away, they have more urgent matters to attend to......

Arguably the premier restricted free agent in the market is Miami defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, who has 24½ sacks the last two years and an AFC-best 15 sacks in 2003, and agent Drew Rosenhaus acknowledged on Thursday his client will not sign an offer sheet with another team before the Friday night deadline.

The ever-resourceful Rosenhaus reiterated, however, that his client will not sign the one-year qualifying offer of $1.824 million the Dolphins made to Ogunleye in March to retain a right of first refusal on him.

"He's not your typical restricted free agent," Rosenhaus said. "He's actually been in the league four years, but only has three years accrued because he spent one season on the non-football injury list, and has only made minimum salaries the entire time. I think you could make a pretty good case that he has outperformed the minimum salaries, right?"

But by making the highest-level qualifying offer to Ogunleye, and not wavering from their demand for first- and third-round draft picks as compensation from another team that signed him to an offer sheet, the Dolphins successfully blunted the market. Chicago and Minnesota were interested in Ogunleye at various junctures of the signing period but both backed off.

Rosenhaus has floated to Miami executives the parameters of what it will take to sign Ogunleye to a long-term contract, but there have been no negotiations toward that end. The agent is still hopeful that, sometime before the draft, Miami will consider trade offers for its left end.

But when the clock strikes midnight and the calendar flips to Saturday, Rosenhaus and Ogunleye will lose the right to negotiate with other clubs. And, the way it looks right now, there will be a lot of other restricted free agents in the same predicament.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Back
Top Bottom