Ogunleye Update | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogunleye Update

To me, there are several possible choices:

1)trade OGun for a 1st and select two talents in the first 30 or so selections(can fill needs in OL, or DT/WR- Andrews, Starks, Woods, Evans; not to mention our third)

2)trade Ogunleye for an early to mid 2nd and a 3rd/4th(again, fill needs and depth with rookies)

3)keep Ogun for half a year, in which he plays for stats OR he could honour the team by playing the entire year at his best play(That's up to him, his attitude, and his ego)

4)Sign Ogunleye for an expensive, long term deal. We keep a good defensive player, but could we be saying good-bye to Chambers by doing this? (IMO, Chambers is a better player, worth a lot to our offense which is obviously is in more trouble than our defense. Chambers also doesn't have all the injury concerns OGun has.)

I personally hope for a trade if not just to better our chances at re-signing #84.

Ya i read that on espn... so where does that leave him...? Hold OUT!?
something has to happen to not let him holdout....

This is a very deep draft, and everybody recognizes it. There are tons of quality players, and at least eight super blue chip players as compared to a maximum of three or four in most drafts. That's why it is going to be hard to get anything like a #1 pick for Ogunleye. The Bears at #14 and the Vikings at #19 are just not interested in giving up those picks for him, plus the Bears have barely any cap room to use on him anyway.

This is not quite like a repeat of the TO situation where SF just had to get whatever it could for the star wr or have him be a cancer on the team the next year. Ogunleye is not going to be THAT terrible of a guy even if he comes back. However, I think it is important that we realize that he's going to be very unhappy and that our chances of re-signing him are probably minimal in 2005. I don't think we can get more than the #30 from Kansas City or a #2 pick and some mediocre player for Ogunleye, but I am beginning to think more and more that whether or not I want him on the Dolphins (which I do) we have to get what we can for him while we still can.

I also just want to say that while nobody is going to pretend that DE Shaun Phillips from Purdue can just take over Ogunleye's spot, that is a guy who may be available in round #4 (tops would be taken in the 3rd round) and can definitely sack the quarterback. Pairing him with Jason Taylor would reduce the learning curve and might not be a bad idea at all. If we do want to trade Ogunleye, then maybe we might reach for Phillips or a player with similar pass-rushing ability in round 3, just so we know that the hole is plugged. Comments are certainly welcome.

I can't say enouhg that I want us to keep him here. I think everyone on here is actually for keeping him but some feel that we'll lose him for nothing or that we'll lose CC if we give Ogun too much money. I wanna give Rick the chance to do whatever is that he's gonna do with Ogun and I will suport Rick either way.I guess we'll find out very soon.

Ozzy rules!!

Earlier I wanted to give up Ogun for a 1st and 3rd for sure. That was when we really needed a WR and i had hope Rivers was still a possibility. But now that weve filld in WR and are commited to Feeley/Fiedler I dont want to. The only way Id give up Ogun now would be to have Gallery or Rivers guarenteed. Meaning a high 1st however that would happen. But nethier of those guys are going to be in a fins uniform next year. So i say DONT TRADE OGUN! Sign him to a longterm!! I didnt think about how important having Jason Taylor along with Ogun is. Now ogun will be feared more and JT can get more sacks!!! Our pass rush is important even though sometimes it doesnt come through like the pats game in miami.....

We won't have to wait long. If a trade does happen, it will almost certainly happen at the draft, or just before it. By this time next Sunday, we should know whether Ogun will be a Phin next year or not.

I have no doubt that Ogun will be re-signed. This team is built on defense (first) and Wanny is always loyal to his guys (almost to a fault). Our cap is under control, now that we got rid of a lot of dead weight, and we will extend Surtain and Knight's contract to get Chambers and Ogun under long-term.

I personally think Spielman enjoys ****ing with Rosenhaus. It's a matter of principle for him to not cave in to Rosenhaus' threats.

Ogun really wants to be here and we need him. I don't believe we should trade him unless Spielman thinks there is no hope. I don't think that's the case. I think Ogun loves it here and is grateful for the opportunities he had, he just wants to be paid fairly and you can't blame him for that.

Originally posted by FinFan57
I have no doubt that Ogun will be re-signed. This team is built on defense (first) and Wanny is always loyal to his guys (almost to a fault). Our cap is under control, now that we got rid of a lot of dead weight, and we will extend Surtain and Knight's contract to get Chambers and Ogun under long-term.

I personally think Spielman enjoys ****ing with Rosenhaus. It's a matter of principle for him to not cave in to Rosenhaus' threats.

Ogun really wants to be here and we need him. I don't believe we should trade him unless Spielman thinks there is no hope. I don't think that's the case. I think Ogun loves it here and is grateful for the opportunities he had, he just wants to be paid fairly and you can't blame him for that.

:eek: :lol:

Trade him to the Jags for both their seconds.

Gives them a chance to get the pass rusher they covert, and they can get a weapon for Leftich in round 1 (a WR called Williams).

Allows us to draft in two positions of weakness is second round. Talents such as Grove, Lehman, Ware, Jenkins will be available.

Back
Top Bottom