Oh boy, am I going to catch it for this one | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Oh boy, am I going to catch it for this one

DrAstroZoom

Bon vivant
Reaction score
Keep an eye on the Commentary page. I'm about to post my most controversial piece ever.

It's been nice knowing you. :splat:

DrAstroZoom said:
Keep an eye on the Commentary page. I'm about to post my most controversial piece ever.

It's been nice knowing you. :splat:

"This week, it's Doc's most controversial post ever!"

Sounds like the lead-in for "24". :)

"This week, it's the most controversial episode of 24 yet, as Jack kills some guys and makes his bosses mad!"

BTW, good article, though it probably had the opposite effect you were looking for. Instead of thinking better about Ricky Williams, I now think worse about Barry Sanders.

phunwin said:
"This week, it's Doc's most controversial post ever!"

Sounds like the lead-in for "24". :)

"This week, it's the most controversial episode of 24 yet, as Jack kills some guys and makes his bosses mad!"

I love that show.

Sorry about any Barry Sanders disillusionment, but the bit of revisionist history I mentioned really shocked and appalled me.

DrAstroZoom said:
I love that show.

Sorry about any Barry Sanders disillusionment, but the bit of revisionist history I mentioned really shocked and appalled me.

I'm worried that it might be jumping the shark. It was already a show that straddled the fine line of credibility and a lot of the stuff from this season went a bit too far in that regard. Still, it's probably my favorite show on TV and Jack Bauer is nearing Alex P. Keaton-level heights as my favorite all-time TV character.

And no apology necessary, you're absolutely right. I didn't think that Sanders did that, but he did, and I'm nothing else if not consistent in my thoughts. If I'm going to be mad at Williams, I'd better look down on Sanders, too. Although obviously not as much since: 1. this happened 6 years ago, and 2. I never gave a poop about the Lions in the first place.

although both circumstances seem simlar, i have a hard time accepting that barry's situation is on parr with ricky's. no denying both "quit" on their teams at critical times but each situation was quite different, in my opinion.

the reality is i don't blame barry for what he did one bit. he spent his entire career on a team that refused to support his level of talent, even after he retired. i'm fairly certain he begged and pleaded with the owners to help him with the addition of quality players. barry still had a long and prosperous career in detroit. and, to my knowledge, has not indicated in any way that he wants to return. also, correct me if i'm wrong, after negotiations he made good on what the team and league felt he owed the lions for retireing before his contract was up.

now, ricky was on a "second chance" with the 'phins if you will, from the saints. even though the leadership of the dolphins was in question, the team has a long tradition of excellence and ablity/desire to pay it's players, even stock the team with talent (even if the talent did not mesh--1995). both men are quiet and private but ricky has exhibited truely quirky behavior since his entering the NFL. his retireing also seems to have alterior motives, which many on this board have speculated upon lately.

having watched and admired barry for his entire career, even though i was saddened by his retireing, it did not surprise me. most importantly, i put the blame for the end of his career were it belonged; on the lions. ricky on the other hand, quit because a. after two year was tired and did not want as many carries any more and/or b. would rather be in some other country to smoke "weed" and meditate.

sorry for being long winded here but i just can't bring myself to agreeing that barry "quit" on the lions when it really is the other way 'round. if he wanted to come back and to join the phins, i would gladly take him back, even if he did not rush for a single yard. he would be a quality player and presence. i can't say the same for ricky's return.

I'll tell you what. I lived in north Indiana for 6 years. Was a huge Lions fan. In fact if the dolphins aren't playing them I'm rooting for the lions. So in my closet i have 6 Phins jerseys and 2 Lions (Soctt mitchell cause he was my neighbor down in Fl, and #20 Barry Sanders) Watching the things that Barry did Never ceased to amaze me. I could watch highlights of just his feet as his footwork was amazing.

Then out of nowhere *WHAM*. He's gone and the already dismal lions just got worse. How could someone so good leave the game with years left to go, with records within reach. It took me a good 3 years to really pardon him.

He too screwed his team and just like ricky Million upon millions of us fantasy football guys :roflmao: Why did I pardon him? I still am unsure. I respect his ability but it still stings that he did what he did. As far as ricky I am more willing to forgive, maybe because I've lived through the what if of barry sanders.

When ricky came here I saw alot of barry's type of personality in him. I now realize there are a lot of differences but at the time thats what I saw. Now ricky made some bad judgment calls in my opinion. I make no excuses for him He was a dumb arse, he's trying to remedy the situation. Yes a good part of it may be about the money, but now we get to see his real character. Is he slacking and just getting money? Does he have a good work ethic? Is he teaching our other RB's how to run better? what value is he adding?

I thought the article was very good even though it opened up some old wounds for me :cry:

awing_pilot said:
I'll tell you what. I lived in north Indiana for 6 years. Was a huge Lions fan. In fact if the dolphins aren't playing them I'm rooting for the lions. So in my closet i have 6 Phins jerseys and 2 Lions (Soctt mitchell cause he was my neighbor down in Fl, and #20 Barry Sanders) Watching the things that Barry did Never ceased to amaze me. I could watch highlights of just his feet as his footwork was amazing.

Then out of nowhere *WHAM*. He's gone and the already dismal lions just got worse. How could someone so good leave the game with years left to go, with records within reach. It took me a good 3 years to really pardon him.

hey awing, having been so close to the situation, how can you blame barry? i watched from a distance as the team refused to deal him to another team and refused to help him with talent. competition among athletes is generally what keeps them going but knowing you have a chance to win or not can have an affect on you as well. i'd say barry may have been trying to leverage the lions to trade him or help him with talent and the organization called his bluff. i still can't be upset with him, he was destined to end his career without any hope of truely competing on those lions teams.

barry has also stuck with his decision and has not "teased" the fans with coming back. he has always presented himself with class and has, i believe, never pointed fingers for his decision. unlike ricky who has blamed everyone including society for not being able to publically pray to the god of reefer.

i'm not trying to bash you but honestly asking your opinion. i'll repect your thoughts what ever your reply. thanks. :D

As if we needed more proof, this article has shown how divided fans are on Ricky's return. The preceding commentary basically told Ricky to f*** off, while mine represented an opposing (thought not nearly as fervent) viewpoint. Both columns are sitting at between 5.5 and 6 on the 10-point rating scale.

DOLPHAN1 said:
hey awing, having been so close to the situation, how can you blame barry? i watched from a distance as the team refused to deal him to another team and refused to help him with talent. competition umong athletes is generally what keeps them going but knowing you have a chance to win or not can have an affect on you as well. i'd say barry may have been trying to leverage the lions to trade him or help him with talent and the organization called his bluff. i still can't be upset with him, he was destined to end his career without any hope of truely competing on those lions teams.

barry has also stuck with his decision and has not "teased" the fans with coming back. he has always presented himself with class and has, i believe, never pointed fingers for his decision. unlike ricky who has blamed everyone including society for not being able to publically pray to the god of reefer.

i'm not trying to bash you but honestly asking your opinion. i'll repect your thoughts what ever your reply. thanks. :D

Granted I was younger then, but to the fans he always said he was going to retire a lion so trading seemed like something they would never do and he would never do either.

I think peoples reel beef was the fact that he left the country and gave no answers really pissed a lot of people off. He avoided what fans felt was his responsibility, broke a contract, and created a situation when all he needed to do is talk about it openly so that the lions could have worked something out. Granted nobody would have excepted his answer if he had, so in my mind that hindsight point is always moot. I think this is te parallel that is drawn to RW. its the quiting thing not the drug crazy person thing :D

I will always believe that Barry sanders is the best RB to play the game, and that had he played on another team he'd probably have a couple of rings (<-- hard for a fan of the lions to admit). I just wish it could have been handled better by the lions who share a good portion of the blame, and Barry.

I also feel bad that he didn't break the record cause his dad never thought of him as the greatest always second best and well thats a really sad story in my opinion. Hands down Barry has and continues to handle him self better then RW. He is a classy guy.

Back
Top Bottom