Ohio State - Notre Dame | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ohio State - Notre Dame

The Ghost

Stamos
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Only game I was able to watch today, I have a few recorded I plan to watch this extended weekend. So many tune up games though hard to care too much about this week.

Anyway, the Buckeyes came back to win what felt like more of an NFL game. Quality players on both teams but OSU just had more athletes and the better QB.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba left the game early with a leg injury. Doesn’t appear serious but he was a non factor.

CJ Stroud made some big time throws on broken plays that frankly shouldn’t have been made. He’s a star in the making.

Michael Mayer some beastly plays but OSU’s defense just possessed too much athleticism.

Tommy Eichenberg, younger brother of Liam, had quite a performance at LB. He’s a missile. If you didn’t know, he’s actually on Ohio State. You would’ve assumed ND.

Looking forward to getting more in depth into the 2023 with you all. Just trying to kick off some conversations.

How did Paris Johnson Jr look at OT?

If he plays to his recruiting hype he is probably gone before the SF pick but guys like him and Skronski and Broderick Jones could all be on the Fins radar if RT is still a big need.

How did Paris Johnson Jr look at OT?

If he plays to his recruiting hype he is probably gone before the SF pick but guys like him and Skronski and Broderick Jones could all be on the Fins radar if RT is still a big need.
He looked good. I didn’t watch w/ much intent but I can only recall one bad rep in pass pro and stroud still got it off for a TD. I was impressed. Feet looked good anchor looked good blocked w/ his frame most the time. It wasn’t perfect couple reps where his time away from tackle showed.

Why does CJ just REFUSE to run? Just give the D something to think about. He’s a much better athlete than advertised.

I’m one of the few with this opinion but I think Williams is a better RB than Henderson.

I thought Marcus Freeman coached his ass off. Well done.

That run by Bryce Young with 20 seconds left is why you’re wrong.

Well, someone could easily counter by citing any QB seriously injured during a run as evidence why you're wrong. It works in both directions.

Using Ohio State again as the examples, they lost Braxton Miller and JT Barrett that way. Miller initially injured his throwing shoulder on a QB run against Purdue then had it re-injured against Clemson and was never the same again. JT Barrett suffered a broken ankle running it against scUM.

That said, I do agree with you in some regard and believe CJ Stroud would be better served finding some kind of balance. There are often times when he has a clean pocket or rolls one direction or the other and has a ton of space in front of him and could get 5-10 yards then slide down before the defense gets there. In those instances he should definitely run.

But coming out of the pack not knowing whether a defender is on his blind side?? Or designed runs?? No thanks. CJ wasn't a scrambler even at the HS level so I don't believe it to be a wise course of action to ask him to do it now.

If I were Ryan Day, I'd show CJ film of Tom Brady and the instances when he makes the decision to run. That'd be the guy to emulate. And outside of QB's sneaks on short yardage and at the goal line, Brady didn't do it much. Only when a gimme presented itself or in the most dire of situations. That's precisely why the guy has played as long as he has.

Lastly, circling back to Bryce Young's run this past weekend, while the initial escape from the corner blitz was AWESOME -- I will point out that the officials swallowed their whistle on the blatantly obvious hold by the right tackle #65 against the left end #18 that allowed Young the opportunity to escape contain.

From the live view you can clearly see #18's left shoulder pad dislodged as he turns late to chase Bryce Young. But it's the replay from the end zone view where you can very clearly see the hold that didn't allow #18 to keep contain. The end still has outside leverage but the tackle gets two hands on him and holds just long enough so that contain is lost.

Last edited:
I think the guy to emulate is Aarond Rodgers(in this one case anyway).

Rodgers was great at using his mobility to escape the rush and then throw the ball downfield not to take off and run.

There are times when a QB run is the right play but I always say I want my QB's best skill to be throwing the ball. If it isn't, he really isn't a QB.

I think the guy to emulate is Aarond Rodgers(in this one case anyway).

Rodgers was great at using his mobility to escape the rush and then throw the ball downfield not to take off and run.

There are times when a QB run is the right play but I always say I want my QB's best skill to be throwing the ball. If it isn't, he really isn't a QB.

I want my QB to put the ball in the endzone more than other teams. I totally get what you're saying about throwing and if you can't throw...well you probably aren't scoring enough.

That said if my QB puts up 4 TD in a game I don't care how many were rushing or passing, he did his job.

I want my QB to put the ball in the endzone more than other teams. I totally get what you're saying about throwing and if you can't throw...well you probably aren't scoring enough.

That said if my QB puts up 4 TD in a game I don't care how many were rushing or passing, he did his job.
No QB is ever going to put up enough rushing TD's to make up for not throwing enough passing TD's.

Lamar Jackson is arguably the bet running QB ever and a mediocre passer and he has still thrown 4 times as many TD passes as he has TD runs.

No QB is ever going to put up enough rushing TD's to make up for not throwing enough passing TD's.

Lamar Jackson is arguably the bet running QB ever and a mediocre passer and he has still thrown 4 times as many TD passes as he has TD runs.

Not in the NFL, but this is college. Legs can be an equally dangerous weapon here abd they serve to make passing easier.

Back
Top Bottom