Ohio State WR Michael Jenkins may be our first pick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ohio State WR Michael Jenkins may be our first pick

Like some other people are saying, nothing will matter if the o-line doesn't get better. I don't understand some people here. They don't think that an o-lineman drafted outside the top 10 can start for us. But then they contradict themselfs by saying that we should draft one in the later rounds. You can find a starter in ANY round. Btw, Joe Jacoby who was a PROBOWLER for the redskins in the 80's wasn't even drafted and that was when there were 12 rounds instead of only 7.

Ozzy rules!!
up the irons!!

Its not that only a first rounder can start, its that typically no rookies start on good teams. Therefore the O line, QB WR etc will need to be fixed VIA FA for NEXT YEAR. After that this years draftees could be in the starting lineup no matter what round they are drafted in.

our big mistake was not having a solid backup for Dixon. Wade Smith will be good soon, but wasn't ready to be the fulltime starter at LT. We need to get a VETERAN OL in FA. That is a priority.

Dude I think we could get a quality guy in the 3rd honestly, like maybe Deverey Henderson from LSU who went to the Senior Bowl and started showing up basically every other receiver there...that is if Deverey didn't increase his stock so much that he gets drafted in the 1st or 2nd.

I like gettin a nice 2nd receiver to go with Chambers but remember, until you get a QB who can actually distribute that ball, you can go through a lot of quality guys at 2nd WR and still not get satisfactory production. We have a couple of guys with potential I think, in Sam Simmons and JR Tolver (especially him)....and even Kendall Newson. I don't want to see them buried and never given a chance. But I do want to see us get a QB in the draft who will be our franchise future QB.

So if we get a good pick for Ogun, I think we are being afforded a rare opportunity. We will be one of only two teams in the draft with two first round draft choices, the other being New England who HAS their franchise QB, and if San Diego really is not committed to taking a QB with their first pick, we immediately become the best candidate to trade with I think as long as we pony up. Schottenheimer doesnt strike me as the type who wants to draft a QB at #1.

Eli Manning is everything you could want or need in a QB. We could even play him in his first year if we wanted to...and yes, we would WIN NOW with this defense, and the pieces of offense we have placed, with Sage Rosenfels behind Eli Manning (or even ahead of him) we could indeed win now as much as we EVER could with Jay Fiedler as our quarterback.

If San Diego says no though, then I would prefer Drew Henson or JP Losman over Phillip Rivers.

I would be comfortable with Rivers if we had a 2nd round pick. We do not.

Here's a list of the last 17 first choice quarterbacks taken in a high part of the draft (low first rounders and 2nd rounders dont count)

Carson Palmer
David Carr
Chad Pennington
Mike Vick
Tim Couch
Peyton Manning
Steve McNair
Heath Shuler
Drew Bledsoe
David Klingler
Dan McGwire
Jeff George
Troy Aikman
Vinny Testeverde
Jim Everett
John Elway

I think thats overwhelming evidence that its worth it to go after an Eli Manning in the draft. Sure, its not 100%. You could get the next Dan McGwire, David Klingler, Heath Shuler, or Jeff George. But on the other hand you take a flyer on a guy like Phillip Rivers in the late 1st round, and you could have easily just taken the next Danny Wuerfful for all you know. Chances drop dramatically once you get past the concensus #1 QB in the draft. Heck, one could even argue that in the last 10 years or so the NFL is vastly differenf from how it was when guys like George, McGwire, and Everett were drafted and that now the NFL has much better methods of discerning who the best QB in the draft is. After all, the last time a #1 QB turned out to be a bust was a FULL DECADE ago.

Why build all the pieces of an offense before you've installed the most important piece?

After all, the last time a #1 QB turned out to be a bust was a FULL DECADE ago.

That's a very good point that I think most of us overlooked. Great research.

Back
Top Bottom