OK Gurus... Rate Upcoming Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OK Gurus... Rate Upcoming Draft

Zeke0123

This is my worried look
Reaction score
Is it just because I am following more closely this year or is this the Deepest Draft in recent memory??? It seems like even the "weak" parts of this draft are average and there is a TON of depth.. Am I right or wrong on this ?

This is a very good draft, IMO. Very deep at alot of positions. Just so happens, it's deep at most of our need positions. (Except QB)

SCall13 said:
This is a very good draft, IMO. Very deep at alot of positions. Just so happens, it's deep at most of our need positions. (Except QB)

yes it is...its just not deep with Quality arms that we require for our offense but if you look at the list there are about 30 QB's that have declared thus far

yea its an extremely deep draft. tons of great seniors, but yet a lot of juniors are still commiting. 1 reason is this is the last year rookies are going to get this kind of money, i think.

deep in certain posistions, weaker in others.

There are a lot of solid QBs in this draft. 2 sure first rounders(leinhart,Young), and two possible (Cutler,Jacobs). There are other guys later in the draft who all have good pro potential.

The RB class is good.

The O-Line class is deep, and has some good OTs.

LB is deep.

DBs (CB and S) has the most players that will play in the pros nwxt year. The S's and CBs in this class are insanely deep.

WR isn't deep at all this year (even with Holmes and Jackson declaring)

Ok I'll go deeper than just saying no. Last year's draft was huge in the RB and CB market. Lots of FAST corners all over the freaking place. Just look around the NFL and you have guys making big contributions as just rookies from Reynaldo Hill to Gerald Sensabaugh to James Sanders, Kerry Rhodes, Jerome Carter, Travis Daniels, Foxworth, Hobbs, Darrent Williams, etc...and those are just rookies drafted from the late 2nd to 7th. The RB market was well-documented as one of the best seen in quite a long time. The QB market was really pretty average and compares well to this year's QB market. The WR market was a lot better than this draft's WR market, but this year's OT market is leagues better than last years so I guess that is even. I though last year's DE/OLB market was quite good especially at the top, compared to this one...and the DT market was pretty durn good too. For all this year's LB market supposed to be the crowd-pleaser, last year's saw 6 guys start and become team leaders and heavy contributors in their rookie year (Merriman, Johnson, Thurman, Tatupu, Crowder, and Morrison).

So pound for pound, I thought last year was a better deeper draft, and I find it no coincidence Miami walked away with three starters and two heavy contributors, with a 6th guy being a coach's choice for LT of the future, and a 7th guy we don't know because he went down injured. That doesn't mean I thought last draft was the best or deepest ever, just that if last draft was better it could hardly mean this draft is the deepest.

ckparrothead said:
Ok I'll go deeper than just saying no. Last year's draft was huge in the RB and CB market. Lots of FAST corners all over the freaking place. Just look around the NFL and you have guys making big contributions as just rookies from Reynaldo Hill to Gerald Sensabaugh to James Sanders, Kerry Rhodes, Jerome Carter, Travis Daniels, Foxworth, Hobbs, Darrent Williams, etc...and those are just rookies drafted from the late 2nd to 7th. The RB market was well-documented as one of the best seen in quite a long time. The QB market was really pretty average and compares well to this year's QB market. The WR market was a lot better than this draft's WR market, but this year's OT market is leagues better than last years so I guess that is even. I though last year's DE/OLB market was quite good especially at the top, compared to this one...and the DT market was pretty durn good too. For all this year's LB market supposed to be the crowd-pleaser, last year's saw 6 guys start and become team leaders and heavy contributors in their rookie year (Merriman, Johnson, Thurman, Tatupu, Crowder, and Morrison).

So pound for pound, I thought last year was a better deeper draft, and I find it no coincidence Miami walked away with three starters and two heavy contributors, with a 6th guy being a coach's choice for LT of the future, and a 7th guy we don't know because he went down injured. That doesn't mean I thought last draft was the best or deepest ever, just that if last draft was better it could hardly mean this draft is the deepest.
Guess it must just be because I am following a little closer this year.... Just seems to me for the holes we are looking to fill it looks damn good rounds 1-4 for S (Saban type) OLB(Saban type) CB(Saban type) and grooming type QB.

This draft is big on CB/S guys like Jimmy Williams, Michael Huff, and Jason Allen. Otherwise not very good on pure corners. There would be good reason to move all three of those guys to safety in the pros, and that leaves the likes of Minter, Zemaitis, Tye Hill, Anwar Phillips, Ashton Youboty, and Cromartie at CB. Cromartie tops all of them in my book if not for the injury issues. For CB, I'd take last year's draft over ours...and I think Travis Daniels is a great example of that in that you'd like to say he was a steal and went lower than other CBs that he shouldn't have but I mean, Ellis Hobbs? Dominique Foxworth? Darrent Williams? Those guys did pretty darn good in their own right.

No doubt this is sort of the year of the talented mid-round linebacker. The year of the talented top round linebacker too. I wouldn't be disappointed to see Saban stock his cupboard with two of the linebackers in this draft...even if it meant two in the top three rounds. Demeco Ryans or Chad Greenway, Channing Crowder, and Patrick Willis or Cameron Vaughn would be the face of this franchise on defense for many, many, many years. I know people would object because that leaves Zach out, but we play enough 3-4 to get them all some good playing time until Zach's salary levels just become unsustainable.

Its weakness is WR, CBs are mediocre, and QBs good with Young declaring as well as Jacobs and the rest is quite good...

Nappy Roots said:
QB-TE-OL-DE-S

are all clearly better and deeper than last years draft IMO.

I guess I could see safety being there, depending on whether you rate Huff, Williams, and Allen as safeties or corners...but if you put them at safety then that just makes this CB class pitiful compared to last year's.

TE does look kind of strong with Davis, Pope, and Lewis. Also some nice lower tier guys with great athleticism like Tim Day for one. Good observation.

As for OL, I'd qualify it. This year's draft is STELLAR at tackle. Unbelievable I'd even say. Ferguson, Scott, Winston, Justice, McNeil, Colledge, Thomas (if he declares), Trueblood, O'Callaghan, and Whitworth...I mean that alone makes it better than I can ever remember. Kind of have to wonder if some teams might see Davin Joseph at tackle after all. As for the guards and centers, last draft had a better class IMO. Jean-Gilles looks better than any individual guy in the last draft's interior, but the rest I think I'd take last draft with Kaczur and Mankins, Buenning, Young, Elton Brown...Sims. It would be tough. I also think last year and this year have very unexciting centers.

QB, I don't see either being better than the other except maybe at the top because of the Vince Young, Matt Leinart thing...and I think Alex Smith is taking a LOT of unfair flack for his rookie performance on a bad offense in San Fran. I think you could toss Rodgers and Cutler into the air and not come out with a definite winner. Leinart and Smith, I know a lot of folks would say Leinart easy but Leinart's getting knocked around now up at his high perch and Smth had a better arm, the same kind of intangibles, better mobility, same size, etc...I love Leinart and all, but really the major difference between last draft and this one is just Vince Young. I think otherwise the mid-round guys like Charlie Frye, Adam Walter, David Greene, Kyle Orton, and Stefan LeFors all compare with the newest rat pack of guys like Jacobs, Croyle, Hackney, Clemens, Gradkowski, Whitehurst, Nealy, etc. Late round guys like Orlovsky, McPherson, and Cassel compare favorably with this draft too. Vince Young declaring throws me off a bit cuz I didn't expect it, but aside from him I see pretty much a very similar QB class.

As for DEs I happen to think last year's class was exceptional and I would find it hard to believe this year's class could produce candidates that stack up next to Ware, Pollack, James, Spears, Roth, Cody, Canty, and Swancutt. I think it would be really tough to pull out that kind of output...keeping in mind that some of this year's guys you may be considering will move to OLB and if we're counting them then you'd better add Merriman back into last year's group.

ckparrothead said:
I guess I could see safety being there, depending on whether you rate Huff, Williams, and Allen as safeties or corners...but if you put them at safety then that just makes this CB class pitiful compared to last year's.

TE does look kind of strong with Davis, Pope, and Lewis. Also some nice lower tier guys with great athleticism like Tim Day for one. Good observation.

As for OL, I'd qualify it. This year's draft is STELLAR at tackle. Unbelievable I'd even say. Ferguson, Scott, Winston, Justice, McNeil, Colledge, Thomas (if he declares), Trueblood, O'Callaghan, and Whitworth...I mean that alone makes it better than I can ever remember. Kind of have to wonder if some teams might see Davin Joseph at tackle after all. As for the guards and centers, last draft had a better class IMO. Jean-Gilles looks better than any individual guy in the last draft's interior, but the rest I think I'd take last draft with Kaczur and Mankins, Buenning, Young, Elton Brown...Sims. It would be tough. I also think last year and this year have very unexciting centers.

QB, I don't see either being better than the other except maybe at the top because of the Vince Young, Matt Leinart thing...and I think Alex Smith is taking a LOT of unfair flack for his rookie performance on a bad offense in San Fran. I think you could toss Rodgers and Cutler into the air and not come out with a definite winner. Leinart and Smith, I know a lot of folks would say Leinart easy but Leinart's getting knocked around now up at his high perch and Smth had a better arm, the same kind of intangibles, better mobility, same size, etc...I love Leinart and all, but really the major difference between last draft and this one is just Vince Young. I think otherwise the mid-round guys like Charlie Frye, Adam Walter, David Greene, Kyle Orton, and Stefan LeFors all compare with the newest rat pack of guys like Jacobs, Croyle, Hackney, Clemens, Gradkowski, Whitehurst, Nealy, etc. Late round guys like Orlovsky, McPherson, and Cassel compare favorably with this draft too. Vince Young declaring throws me off a bit cuz I didn't expect it, but aside from him I see pretty much a very similar QB class.

As for DEs I happen to think last year's class was exceptional and I would find it hard to believe this year's class could produce candidates that stack up next to Ware, Pollack, James, Spears, Roth, Cody, Canty, and Swancutt. I think it would be really tough to pull out that kind of output...keeping in mind that some of this year's guys you may be considering will move to OLB and if we're counting them then you'd better add Merriman back into last year's group.

as far as DEs go, i definitly dont count all those DEs that switched to OLB as DEs.

Back
Top Bottom