Ok, please STOP IT on the "let Jake Long walk" nuttery... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ok, please STOP IT on the "let Jake Long walk" nuttery...

MrEd

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me find the reasonable logic in "letting Jake Long walk". :err: I just can't. This isn't a knock on anyone personally who has advocated this, but imo suggesting that he just be "let walk" is acting as if we have no weaknesses and can afford to create a hole like that and spend a high draft pick on another "rookie" starting OT. :crazy: And of course, this is also assuming Jonathan Martin is going to be a stud at LT.

Franchise tagging Jake Long immediately when we can is the only logical scenario where you solidify he is here for at "least" another year, even if we start him at RT should Martin rock at LT. During this period, we can still negotiate a 3 or 4 year contract with him that will have a lower cap hit than his tag number. And if we should not come to an agreement in those negotiations, we still have him for the year and then, in 2014 (with less holes and weaknesses) we focus our 1st round pick on OT. To me, it's a no brainer "only" option we have this offseason with Jake Long.

Now I've heard "trade" him as an alternative "after" tagging him. Ok, if they offer us a 1st round pick, I can see that, but is anyone really going to offer that? Ok. If they do, it still is part of a scenario where you "tag" Long. So Long must "not" be let walk, as some are suggesting around here. To me, that's just friggin nuts.

While I'm in the discussion of offseason scenarios...I know, I know, Starks rocks. But you know what? I just don't see how we are better in keeping him. I don't. Odrick, is cheaper and younger and belongs at DT. He is pretty much Starks heir apparent. Moving Odrick inside allows us to re-sign Tony McDaniel as his backup instead, which will be much cheaper than re-signing Starks. And Odrick to me, has a higher ceiling than Starks. Starks has reached his already.

Also, this allows us to keep Olivier Vernon as Cameron Wake's backup and we can focus our 1st round pick on a true pass rushing DE menace on the other side of Wake. If we keep Starks and still go ahead and do this, we basically relegate Odrick to the bench where I don't think he belongs.

I've been recently on the "let Hartline walk" train, but I'm starting to think that based on the fact that Hartline's agent has acknowledged that the Dolphins have indeed made an initial offer to Hartline, that Hartline rejected of course, but it implies that they see him as part of their WR "rotation" for the going forward. So I'm now changing my tone on Hartline. I think they will re-sign him to be either our #2 WR or the #4. But he keeps some depth at a position that we are likely to add two players. One via FA and one in the draft.

Sean Smith must be re-signed. He may not be the best CB out there, but there are not many available and he still is young and has talent. Even by using a 2nd round pick on a CB, we still need Smith and Marshall starting and groom the 2nd round pick. Don't want all these rookies starting. Especially with this apparently hard system to learn.

Re-sign Clemons too and still draft another FS. Clemons will be cheap.

To me, Fasano walks and Starks walks. But Reggie Bush should be re-signed. He is showing that he will work with Miami in order to stay and won't break the bank. Just give him a raise from what he is making now and he'll stick with us for another 2 years. He's a playmaker and we need him for the playoff push. Yes, if he wants to break the bank, we have Miller and Thomas, but all signs point to him not looking to do that. Keep him.

So I think we should sign Greg Jennings as a FA and then use the 1st round pick on a pass rushing DE and then our two 2nd rounders on a CB and an OG. If we can, sign a FA TE and keep Clay and Egnew. But our two 3rd round picks should be focused on a FS and another "speedy" WR. But of course, things always happen in the draft that shake things up with someone dropping for whatever reason. Ok, I'm out. :)

:lol:

You don't franchise a LT and move him to RT.

He's not worth half of what the franchise tag is worth.

You do if Martin absolutely "rocks" at LT. But I'm not suggesting to do so. I would start Long at LT. I clearly stated "even if" Martin rocks so hard you "still" tag Long to not create a hole and eliminate a draft pick that we "need" to use on another position. If Long isn't part of our long term plans, then you tag him and worry about creating the hole in 2014, even if you start him at RT. No logic in "letting him walk". That suggestion is the :lol:

You do if Martin absolutely "rocks" at LT. But I'm not suggesting to do so. I would start Long at LT. I clearly stated "even if" Martin rocks so hard you "still" tag Long to not create a hole and eliminate a draft pick that we "need" to use on another position. If Long isn't part of our long term plans, then you tag him and worry about creating the hole in 2014, even if you start him at RT. No logic in "letting him walk". That suggestion is the :lol:

If Martin "rocks" at LT then Long is useless. He hasn't been good for a couple years now. Always hurt. Not worth it.

If Martin "rocks" at LT then Long is useless. He hasn't been good for a couple years now. Always hurt. Not worth it.
How do you figure this though? If Martin "rocks", Long is an excellent RT as we fill "other" holes and not to mention he is also "insurance" as the assuming LT should Martin fall injured, "if he rocks" that is...and "if he rocks" you keep Long to hold the RT hole from being created as you hold him down for only 1 year.... and you can still continue to negotiate with him on the meanwhile.

How do you figure this though? If Martin "rocks", Long is an excellent RT as we fill "other" holes and not to mention he is also "insurance" as the assuming LT should Martin fall injured, "if he rocks" that is...and "if he rocks" you keep Long to hold the RT hole from being created as you hold him down for only 1 year.... and you can still continue to negotiate with him on the meanwhile.

You don't pay a overrated oft injured LT 15 mil a year and move him to RT.

You don't pay a overrated oft injured LT 15 mil a year and move him to RT.

Yes, Phinatic8u, but this is not suggesting "per year", but for "one" year under the franchise tag to insure you don't open up another hole that handicaps us from filling other needs. You move this over to 2014, while keeping the OL intact and adding a G, not a G "and" a "rookie" RT who will need a learning curb (if he isn't another Ireland bust) on top of that. But you can also buy time to negotiate him lower than $17mil or so and you keep him for less. If not, you don't create the hole, till 2014. And if there is a year to "afford" the one year cap number.....it's "this" one.

Yes, Phinatic8u, but this is not suggesting "per year", but for "one" year under the franchise tag to insure you don't open up another hole that handicaps us from filling other needs. You move this over to 2014, while keeping the OL intact and adding a G, not a G "and" a "rookie" RT who will need a learning curb (if he isn't another Ireland bust) on top of that. But you can also buy time to negotiate him lower than $17mil or so and you keep him for less. If not, you don't create the hole, till 2014. And if there is a year to "afford" the one year cap number.....it's "this" one.

I can buy that now that I fully think about it.

But it will not hurt my feelings to see Long walk.

You're not filling a hole with Long, you're keeping a hole there. Franchising him would be a huge mistake ESPECIALLY if he moves over to RT.

Why waste our chance on signing key free agents by franchising our oft-injured LT that has not been near the same the past couple of years?

If we move Martin to LT and sign a RT not named Colombo we've already improved the Oline from last year. Long isn't the same player as he once was, and instead of proving to us the last few games that he can still play at an elite level, what does he do? He gets injured. Unsurprisingly.

You're not filling a hole with Long, you're keeping a hole there. Franchising him would be a huge mistake ESPECIALLY if he moves over to RT.

Why waste our chance on signing key free agents by franchising our oft-injured LT that has not been near the same the past couple of years?

If we move Martin to LT and sign a RT not named Colombo we've already improved the Oline from last year. Long isn't the same player as he once was, and instead of proving to us the last few games that he can still play at an elite level, what does he do? He gets injured. Unsurprisingly.

So who do you suggest we sign to start at RT? And keep in mind that in doing this you have already let Long go....and could potentially be left out with no one else available "but" a Columbo...so who do you suggest we sign?

So who do you suggest we sign to start at RT? And keep in mind that in doing this you have already let Long go....and could potentially be left out with no one else available "but" a Columbo...so who do you suggest we sign?

Considering that long has been playing like a Colombo type player all year. I'd say the options are limitless.

Considering that long has been playing like a Colombo type player all year. I'd say the options are limitless.

So that's your plan? "The options are limitless"? :idk:

So that's your plan? "The options are limitless"? :idk:

Yep. It's better than going in the season with an overpaid LT that gets our QB blindsided all game, and then not having any weapons for him because you decided to franchise Long.

Back
Top Bottom