OL Aaron Brewer chats with Wingfield: "I'm speed. I fit perfectly." | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL Aaron Brewer chats with Wingfield: "I'm speed. I fit perfectly."

Hoot

Keeper of the Old Code
Club Member
Reaction score
How do you think your play style fits with Coach McDaniel?
It blends perfect. It's about speed. You got speed on the outside. Speed in the backfield. And that's me. I'm speed. I get to the 2nd level fast. Sideline to sideline. End zone to end zone. I fit perfectly into this program.

What's your favorite part about playing offensive line?
Offensive line got a different kind of mind. We with each other. There is no other position on the team like that. Where you're all at one time together, right next to each other. The success you have depends on each other, how you work together, that relationship and communication. That's a different type of ball and I love that.

Better backflip you or Tyreek Hill?
I think I got Tyreek on the back flip.

Speed is great, he may be GREAT for this team.

But the problem last season was when they played teams that knew how to slow down our WRS.

Our O line averaged 2.1 seconds of clean pocket time. They were not good enough in pass protection to even block long enough for the leagues fastest release of 2.3 seconds in the 2nd half of the season. Injuries of course factored In, but we are relying again on injury prone players on the left side and Eich on the right side. Jackson seems to get hurt every season also.

Speed again is great, the offense will look like the first 6 games last year.

But what happens when they play those tough teams again? What happens when they need to block for longer then 2.1 seconds so Tua can ACTUALLY scan the field?

Brewer was the worst starting Center or 2nd worse in pass blocking. However he also had a bad situation with his QBS holding the ball too long. So GRYPHONK will give him the benefit of the doubt, for now lol

Brewer, if you can be fast AND hold a block for ATLEAST 2.3 seconds, that will be a huge improvement and I will GLADLY eat as much crow as there is out there.

McDaniel knows what he's doing and what he needs for this system. GRYPHONK is just an old cranky beast lol.

However, I love the optimism.

But the problem last season was when they played teams that knew how to slow down our WRS.

Our O line averaged 2.1 seconds of clean pocket time. They were not good enough in pass protection to even block long enough for the leagues fastest release of 2.3 seconds in the 2nd half of the season. Injuries of course factored In, but we are relying again on injury prone players on the left side and Eich on the right side. Jackson seems to get hurt every season also.

But what happens when they play those tough teams again? What happens when they need to block for longer then 2.1 seconds so Tua can ACTUALLY scan the field?

Brewer was the worst starting Center or 2nd worse in pass blocking. However he also had a bad situation with his QBS holding the ball too long. So GRYPHONK will give him the benefit of the doubt, for now lol

Brewer, if you can be fast AND hold a block for ATLEAST 2.3 seconds, that will be a huge improvement and I will GLADLY eat as much crow as there is out there.

McDaniel knows what he's doing and what he needs for this system. GRYPHONK is just an old cranky beast lol.

I saw him block Christian Wilkins pretty easily so there's that.

I saw him block Christian Wilkins pretty easily so there's that.

The irony here is Brewer gave up the most sacks and 2nd most pressures amongst starting Centers.

Yet he was able to handle Wilkins lol. Though Wilkins did have 1 sack that game.

I believe that's more a matter of game planning and in game adjustments, rather than individual players.

Looks like a good scheme fit, IMO.

The irony here is Brewer gave up the most sacks and 2nd most pressures amongst starting Centers.

Yet he was able to handle Wilkins lol. Though Wilkins did have 1 sack that game.
The accuracy of sacks allowed by individual linemen stat is questionable to me.

If a Tackle just gets flat out beat, that's one thing and fairly obvious, but without knowing individual assignments, particularly on the interior, where guys have to work together making snap decisions it's often more complex than just one guy beating another.

I believe that's more a matter of game planning and in game adjustments, rather than individual players.

Looks like a good scheme fit, IMO.

Yeah, scheme wise it seems like a great fit.

I just have been complaining about the O line for years. Last year, prior to injuries, our O line was fantastic. The problem is this year's o line has regressed, atleast on paper.

The lack of pass protection killed this team last year last 7 games or so.

So my worry is Brewer may be a great fit for the scheme. But what happens when teams figure out our scheme like they have the last 2 seasons, and now force our offense to need to actually pass block long enough for our QB to scan the field?

We already know Brewers pass blocking stats from last year. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt as I am in the vast minority of not liking the signing. The coaches know more then I Do.

I just worry, because pass blocking derailed our offense late last season. I don't want to sit here next season wondering saying we should have known the worst pass locking center ( starter) in the league last year struggled in pass blocking. We should have already known that.

We have plenty of information, data that should have shown us that.

So, if scheme can really make that big of a diferrence, then GREAT. But I don't put to much stalk in good pass blocking numbers that rely on a QB to release the ball a league best 2.3 seconds.

If our offense is solely dependant on Tua being able to constantly get rid of the ball in 2.3 seconds, and that is all we expect of our pass blocking, we will be in for a long season

The accuracy of sacks allowed by individual linemen stat is questionable to me.

If a Tackle just gets flat out beat, that's one thing and fairly obvious, but without knowing individual assignments, particularly on the interior, where guys have to work together making snap decisions it's often more complex than just one guy beating another.
That's why some stats should be taken with a grain of salt. You have to watch film to get a real sense of what a player does well and what he struggles with. With Brewer, I saw a guy with above average movement and positioning in pass pro. His struggles came in anchoring one on one against the bull rush from the bigger NTs. That was a relatively rare situation in Miami. (It actually wasn't even the issue in Tenn much. I think some of those sacks and the low rating being thrown around here are by people who didn't watch any film).

As I said, we didn't see Eich asked to take on the big NTs here solo that often. Where we saw Eich fail was when he'd either fail to help or help the wrong guy. That was the biggest reason our pass pro went down hill when Williams went down. If Brewer can just be a smarter C then he will be a significant improvement over Eich. I don't even understand how anyone would classify that as unlikely.

Yeah, scheme wise it seems like a great fit.

I just have been complaining about the O line for years. Last year, prior to injuries, our O line was fantastic. The problem is this year's o line has regressed, atleast on paper.

The lack of pass protection killed this team last year last 7 games or so.

So my worry is Brewer may be a great fit for the scheme. But what happens when teams figure out our scheme like they have the last 2 seasons, and now force our offense to need to actually pass block long enough for our QB to scan the field?

We already know Brewers pass blocking stats from last year. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt as I am in the vast minority of not liking the signing. The coaches know more then I Do.

I just worry, because pass blocking derailed our offense late last season. I don't want to sit here next season wondering saying we should have known the worst pass locking center ( starter) in the league last year struggled in pass blocking. We should have already known that.

We have plenty of information, data that should have shown us that.

So, if scheme can really make that big of a diferrence, then GREAT. But I don't put to much stalk in good pass blocking numbers that rely on a QB to release the ball a league best 2.3 seconds.

If our offense is solely dependant on Tua being able to constantly get rid of the ball in 2.3 seconds, and that is all we expect of our pass blocking, we will be in for a long season
I don't think our failures down the stretch last year were just O-line related, that certainly played a big part but Hill/Waddle were gimpy, started dropping passes, usually the few potential plays we might have made in the game, as well our RB room was gimpy, the whole reason there was a cooking for cook thread was many of us thought Mostert and a light rookie RB wouldn't hold up when it came time for Dec/Jan ball and that was the case as well. Seems to me we need help at all three levels there on offense.

I don't think our failures down the stretch last year were just O-line related, that certainly played a big part but Hill/Waddle were gimpy, started dropping passes, usually the few potential plays we might have made in the game, as well our RB room was gimpy, the whole reason there was a cooking for cook thread was many of us thought Mostert and a light rookie RB wouldn't hold up when it came time for Dec/Jan ball and that was the case as well. Seems to me we need help at all three levels there on offense.

Yeah, agreed.

So going into this season with a LT/LG/RT who have had many Injuries, along with their backups.
No true back up Center
A RG who ranked near the bottom of backup guards.

It doesn't instill a lot of confidence, for me.

Hill and Waddle drops didn't help, of course.

Tuas inconsistency didn't help also.

However, if the line blocked long enough for Tua to go through his reads, Maybe the injuries and drops won't matter as much.

People talk about our run game and it's success as well as our run blocking.

This team sets up the run with passing
When the team needed to run on obvious downs they were not as successful.

When Tua hits Waddle for 23 yards. Then Hill for 16. Yeah, suddenly mostert gets a nice 8 yard run. When teams drop 7 defenders into coverage, averaging 5+ yards per run is not as impressive to me.

Bit just look at the Titans game. In the most critical moments Miami could not run block to save their lives.

He just needs to gain like 10 to 15 pounds and he would be alot better, maybe he will and end up a probowler.

Back
Top Bottom