Ol Chris Reed - All 22 Review | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ol Chris Reed - All 22 Review

So by looking at that short clip it shows he can do all those things well........so it comes down to can he be healthy and can he be consistent?
Those were all good plays for him but I'm sure if he looks further he'll find some bad ones too as everyone in the NFL will have bad plays.
So I like what I saw there but we gotta hope he stays healthy and that he can be consistent. We sure can use the help.

To bad that was such a short clip.
Yeah, it's one of those pieces sponsored by the Dolphins, so they've moved to this new format of which I don't really like … where they make everything a short video aimed for your phone, and fill about half of it with fluff and introductions.

But, Congemi seems to know a good OL when he sees one. He raved about three draft prospects in the past well above the rest, Zach Martin, Laremy Tunsil and Quentin Nelson, even before the hype train really caught up to them. He was spot-on both times. In contrast, he had a positive but not nearly as glowing assessment of Ju'Wuan James. I don't trust our scouts to identify talent, but it does seem like Congemi (a former QB) seems to get what's really important about OL.

It’s kind of unfair to the new regime but I just assume any OL aquired without a first round pick will either suck or get hurt.
True. But we'll add more through the draft, late FA, and then the UDFA's and late cuts. These guys are all thrown into the mixing bowl. I hope our strategy is like that of the Patriots, where we churn through a bunch of OL prospects until we find ones that are productive.

So by looking at that short clip it shows he can do all those things well........so it comes down to can he be healthy and can he be consistent?
Those were all good plays for him but I'm sure if he looks further he'll find some bad ones too as everyone in the NFL will have bad plays.
So I like what I saw there but we gotta hope he stays healthy and that he can be consistent. We sure can use the help.
Sorta. It's a piece prepared by the Dolphins site, so they only show us the positive. This guy has plenty of tape where he's performing poorly. I think your point about health and consistency are probably the determining factors though. Since it's his old coach who brought him in, I'm hoping he has started to see a progression towards consistency.

He’s still young. Maybe they see potential in him.
Evan Mathis certainly developed into something

"only" 500K guarantee is nothing for the NFL so we can't complain. If he can't start then he's a cheap back up. If he starts he's a bargain as long as he plays well. Of course he could start because the others are worse than him....lol

I looked at all his Right Guard work and some of his Left Guard work and frankly I was surprised just how much I like him.

One consistent strength of his is the way he picks up stunts and blitzes. He's really top notch there in terms of his anticipation, the quality of his eyes, his god-given ability to move laterally, and his god-given ability to drop anchor and hold his ground.

I mean, maybe there's film of a play or three out there where he's failed to pick up stunts or blitzes, but I haven't seen it, and even if it does exist then I would attribute it to a series of brain farts because the bottom line is, if you're looking at who he is and what he does well, this is a thing he does well.

Looking at him, whenever I see his 'type', I often think the danger is that he gets beat on hands at the initial point of contact, and then is left frozen while the pass rusher goes around him. I've seen Javon Hargrave do that to him once. Reed is a guy that anticipates, and if he guesses wrong, it can be costly.

I also saw Andre Branch truck right over him because Branch delayed his rush, which made Reed antsy trying to anticipate someone that wasn't moving, and then Reed made the mistake of getting his weight back on the heels of his feet instead of the balls of his feet, just as Andre Branch started in and delivered a punch straight to Chris Reed's chest.

You're noticing a consistent theme of eyes and anticipation. He lives by that sword and he dies by that sword. It helps him do great things, but it can also be exploited.

Physically he's a really good athlete, and really strong. He's built right. He's a giant muscle of a man and it's absolutely no surprise he can drop anchor so well. It's also not a surprise he can get out into space.

But he looks a little tight-hipped, which means that if you get him out into space and he's got to hit a bunch of fast moving targets at DB and LB, he could have a tough time adjusting to them. Most of the damage with an OL getting out into space is the fact those DBs and LBs are forced to adjust to HIM...and that's a function of how quickly he can get out there, how intimidating his physical stature and presence can be. So the fact he's not the best snipe hunter out in the open isn't as bad as some would make of it.

Getting back to his 'type' the only thing you could really wish he had more of was length in his arms, or a wider overall build. That would really help you put him into A+ territory in pass protection. He doesn't have those things and that's one reason I think he will probably be beat (badly) every now and again.

I see him as a starter. He's strong as hell, he's nasty, plays with the right attitude, very well coached, solid hands, great anticipation, good pass pro (not perfect by any means). He's a starter.

I'd prefer Chris Reed at Right Guard so that Jesse Davis can play Right Tackle, where he played better against the Panthers and Buccaneers in 2017 than any other position I've seen him play for us.

Cheap, young, possible upside. Most of the FA signings should be like this with a vet sprinkled in here or there for experience. I like it.

Back
Top Bottom