OL scorecard | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL scorecard

finmann said:
Call you Realistic

Problem with your comment is that they are not the same players. This is a young line and players like Hadnot and Carey should be better. They also brought in a few FA's.
Wade Smith and Taylor Whitley may have trouble even making the team.
Your comments suggest that young players are incapable of improving. Most of the best O-linemen are experienced vets. Not too many 1st or 2nd year players become stars right away. Even Gallery had some problems last year.

Slappa said:
I feel your pain. But in Wade Smith's defense, lack of technique falls directly upon the shoulders of the OL coach Wise. Maybe just maybe even a worst coach then DW.
But then agian DW fired his entire OL (besides one, you guessed it Wade Smith) and felt that it was lack of talent rather then lack of technique. So i would have to say that DW was hands down the worst coach in the nfl Wise being a close 2nd.

I get what your saying. My boyfrined makes similar points to me as well. Then I always respond that I have never played a min of football in my life. I know better than to block someone by waving my hands at them. Wade has been playing since Highschool if not earlier. He should know better too. Thats why I think its tallent.
But I would love nothing more than to be wrong here. Just going to take some convincing...

alot of problems this guys have is inexperience, usually, u have 1 young guy starting and 4 vets or 2 young guys. last year the whole damn line was green, even the vets didnt no what they were doing, they meshed better close to the end of the season, add to that our new coach, and a year of experience, and stocker, and we should hopefully give feeley and Brown enough time to do what they need to help us win games

about the line,we improved at all aspects

-better coaching (much better :D)
-better depth
-1 more year under the belts of them (of course the rookies not)

I won't say we'll have a Top 10 line..though there's no way this years' line can be worst than the last one

FemaleFinFan said:
I get what your saying. My boyfrined makes similar points to me as well. Then I always respond that I have never played a min of football in my life. I know better than to block someone by waving my hands at them. Wade has been playing since Highschool if not earlier. He should know better too. Thats why I think its tallent.
But I would love nothing more than to be wrong here. Just going to take some convincing...

LOL.. :lol: We are really on the same page here. Ma point being that Houch (sp?) is a farr better at evaluating talent than what we as phin fans are use to dealing with especially when compairing to Wise. Give him a single year before passing judgement.

By the way. You could block me while waving only one hand.. hehe :wink:

Dolphindrew said:
I have completely lost track of our OL depth chart at this point. Could someone enlighten me, even if it's just a guess? Is Mia going after anyone in FA for the OL? I don't think I'm alone when I say that was the biggest reason we were down so bad last year. I've read great things about the new OL coach, but I'm very skeptical that the exact same players can go from being HORRIBLE to being good in 1 year. Call me pessimistic.

Let's just hope for solid, as I have been saying since we got Houck. By solid I mean, not exactly good, but not bad enough to be a laugjhing stock glaring point on the team that cripples the whole offense. Just ok would be nice this year. Saban had other holes to fill.

JAcK o D1AmonDs said:
i dont like MCkinney we need a better center

McKinney is a joke and by farr the worst on the entire OL..

When Saban hired Houck they undoubtably had numerous, extensive, in depth dialogues about the talent level that was here, what was available, and what Houck needed to have on the team to maximize his cances at success. Of course consideration was given to the salary cap and other need situations on the team.

Houck must have told Saban, I more or less have what I need - Houck got McDougle (nice addition) Alibi, Cook and maybe another after June 1. The rest Houck said to Saban "sit back and take notes, SON!" and now WE ARE ALL ON THE LEARNING CURVE.

I know from my experiences growing up and playing sports, and being a student in school, the person in charge of the team or class made a HUGE difference. Not just in terms of my performance but those around me. So I know from personal experience that the quality of coaching makes or breaks players.

Saban, Linehan, Houck are special talents, arguably the best in their respective businesses.

Nublar7 said:
Here is everybody we have:

LT: Damion McIntosh - Vernon Carey - Tony Pape
LG: Jeno James - Damion Cook - Eric Wilson - Bobby Meeks
C: Seth McKinney - Wade Smith
RG: Rex Hadnot - Taylor Whitley - Rodney Reed - Jason Thomas
RT: Stockar McDougle - John St. Clair - Anthony Alabi

That would also be my best guess, which does look like a pretty solid O-line, if not for the dark cloud at Center, I would be pretty happy with this line.

I hope McKinney has a better 2nd year starting, or that Smith proves to be a much better center, then he was a tackle, and and starts over McKinney. Smith did show some flash of talent 2 years ago, maybe he was just being used at the wrong position.

painnotpleasure said:
Here are my latest predictions for our Offensive Line...

Current: (What I think it currently looks like)

LT-Damion McIntosh/Vernon Carey/ Anthony Alabi
LG-Jeno James/Damion Cook/Taylor Whitley
C- Seth McKinney/Wade Smith
RG-Rex Hadnot/ Vernon Carey/Whitley
RT-Stockar McDougle/ John St.Clair/Anthony Alabi

Mine: (What I want and hope it will be)

LT-Damion McIntosh McIntosh/Vernon Carey/Tony Pape/Anthony Alabi
C- Rex Hadnot/ Wade Smith
RG-Vernon Carey/Seth McKinney/Bobby Meeks
RT-Stockar McDougle/John St.Clair/Anthony Alabi

Possible releases: Seth McKinney, Taylor Whitley, and/or Bobby Meeks..

As much as having Hadnot at Center would sound like a great idea, he still has very little experience playing Center, and with Hadnot and Smith being the only two you have at center, we would have again no NFL experience at an O-line Position...that could hurt again. As much as I do not like the idea of McKinney staying at center, at least he has played it before, and has some experience playing the position.

I am hoping Smith shows enough talent to start over McKinney, and McKinney ends up backing Smith up. Hadnot in my opinion is going to be a monster at guard for us.

painnotpleasure said:
Here are my latest predictions for our Offensive Line...

Current: (What I think it currently looks like)

LT-Damion McIntosh/Vernon Carey/ Anthony Alabi
C- Seth McKinney/Wade Smith
RG-Rex Hadnot/ Vernon Carey/Whitley
RT-Stockar McDougle/ John St.Clair/Anthony Alabi

Mine: (What I want and hope it will be)

LT-Damion McIntosh McIntosh/Vernon Carey/Tony Pape/Anthony Alabi
C- Rex Hadnot/ Wade Smith
RG-Vernon Carey/Seth McKinney/Bobby Meeks
RT-Stockar McDougle/John St.Clair/Anthony Alabi

Possible releases: Seth McKinney, Taylor Whitley, and/or Bobby Meeks..

Yes!

FemaleFinFan said:

Problem is that O-Line was a new position for Smith, through most of his career, he was a TE, and in his last year, he was used as a Linemen, where he showed alot of potential (Some draft experts thought he could be a player that would be a steal, because of the player he could become). He looked pretty good for us in year one, but took a massive step back last year. I would like to think that it was more coaching that hurt him, then what talent he really has. We will find out how he does with a much better teacher working with him.

Back
Top Bottom