Olivier Vernon | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Olivier Vernon

Im definatley excited about this guys future... has potential to be a top DE in this league..

I remember after week 3 everyone complaining he was getting no push.. High motor kid with good sudden quickness. Gets sucked inside vs the run

Can anyone remember after Dion Jordan was drafted in a shower of Dolphin attention, a reporter asked Olivier Vernon what it meant for his position as a young pass rusher on the team? I don't remember his precise words but to paraphrase, Olivier was very polite and wasn't concerned by the drafting of Jordan. He was just focused on lifting his game and was determined to make a bigger impact in 2013. He welcomed his new teammate and was just focused on lifting his own game.
9 months later, everything Olivier said happened with his success as an undersized DE to get his 11 sacks, only now the bigger questions need to be answered by Jordan, what he is going to do to lift his output. It is a very good sign when a player is able to lift his game like Vernon did in just his second season. What did Parcells say about the young puppies' propensity to bite? Olivier Vernon could be one of Jeff Ireland's best Draft picks. He should just continue to improve. Vernon and Jordan could both work to improve each other. People shouldn't be too quick to write Jordan off as a bust. Vernon's improvement as a pass rusher facilitated less snaps for Jordan in his rookie year.

Olivier Vernon was weak on stopping the run. He needs to improve in that area ALOT!

Don't show this article to CK.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

OV still has a lot to learn, but made significant strides from year 1 to year 2. He does need to improve his game against the run...fortunately he seems like a guy who is willing to put in the work.

He showed a lot of progress. He probably wont get as many snaps in 2014 as he did last year, so lets hope that progress continues.

I think Vernon topped out as a master of the coverage sack. He's not that big, not that fast and his experience and ensuing development of saavy will allow him to become an average NFL player. If you need a sack, though, on a critical 3rd down and you need it quick, he's not your guy. Dion Jordan was supposed to be 'that guy', and it remains to be seen if he can be 'that guy' either. When you move up to #3 overall, you better be getting a Mario Williams caliber DE, or a young Dwight Freeney. Let's just hope Jordan's shoulder healed enough to where he could get that additional strength needed to start beating left tackles.

kudos to Vernon .... his season is the reason Jordan did not see many snaps - but in the long run, I don't see Vernon keeping Jordan on the sideline much into this season.

it's a great problem to have!! With a healthy, stronger Jordan - we should see a vast improvement in his performance on the field.

with a healthy Wake, an improved Vernon and a healthy, stronger Jordan should speak volumes for our outside pass rush this year.

lost in all this is Shelby, who has not shown the same level of development .... what we need along the line is that stout 280+ DE who can handle the run ...

For the DL, we need to draft/sign one more DT and that 280+ DE .....

OV improved a lot but, had a very inconsistent year. He struggled in the fist two, and last three games, while being up and down vs the run. He got a lot of sacks but, some were because of others, and he did not take advantage of a number of opportunities. I'm a Big fan, and look for him to solidify his game this year.

Theres always at least one in the bunch

I think Vernon topped out as a master of the coverage sack. He's not that big, not that fast and his experience and ensuing development of saavy will allow him to become an average NFL player. If you need a sack, though, on a critical 3rd down and you need it quick, he's not your guy. Dion Jordan was supposed to be 'that guy', and it remains to be seen if he can be 'that guy' either. When you move up to #3 overall, you better be getting a Mario Williams caliber DE, or a young Dwight Freeney. Let's just hope Jordan's shoulder healed enough to where he could get that additional strength needed to start beating left tackles.

Back
Top Bottom