Omar Jacobs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Omar Jacobs

Juan Cribbs said:
kyle boller.

Boller actually proves statistics are important.

Senior Season
completed 225 of 421 for 2,815 yards, 28 TD's and 10 Ints. He had bad stats his first 3 seasons, then when Jeff Tedford came aboard he had a great senior season, propelling him up the draft charts. So based on his Senior Season stats , he got himself invited to the combine and into the first round.

(from Pro Draft Central)
Summary: May have improved as much as any quarterback in the country and went from a free agent to a first-round pick in the past year. As long as he shows adequate accuracy at his pro day, Boller will be one of the first quarterbacks taken.

Juan Cribbs said:
yes it proves why stats SHOULDN'T be important.
Stats are not as important as some make them out to be. So many variables such as coaching style, talent of team mants, tendencies to throw in the redzone all can inflate of deflate a players stats. But the point here is, BAD stats have definatly not translated into NFL success.
Omar has good stats both years he handeled the football. Whitehurst showed inconsistency during his tenure starting.
Boller is kind of an enigma because while he put up good numbers his senior year, Jeff Tedford is known to "break the mold" and churn guys that seem to have it all together, just to fail. Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Trent Dilfer...the list goes on with guys he created that didn't pan out.

yes boller put up good numbers because of tedford's dumbed-down QB-friendly offense. he had something of a 48% completion rate before his senior season.

i may be alone, but i don't look at stats, i don't like at awards, championships, wins, etc. i look at what they do to GET those things.

Juan Cribbs said:
yes boller put up good numbers because of tedford's dumbed-down QB-friendly offense. he had something of a 48% completion rate before his senior season.

i may be alone, but i don't look at stats, i don't like at awards, championships, wins, etc. i look at what they do to GET those things.

NFL teams look at all aspects of a potential player. They look at their stats, they look at their body build, their mechanics, what offense they ran in college, quality of team they had around them.

And, for the record, Cal's offense is considered a Pro-Style offense. A dumbed down Qb friendly offense is what Texas ran last year.

jonanthans said:
And, for the record, Cal's offense is considered a Pro-Style offense. A dumbed down Qb friendly offense is what Texas ran last year.
cal's offense isn't pro-style at all. not from the quarterback perspective. the whole thing is based around the running game. joey harrington had 2 1000-yard rushers, boller had 2 as well, and they had 2 this past season. the QB just has to make 2 short reads to stationary receivers. rarely do they throw the deep ball. it's really just a simplified west coast, although the backs aren't used as much for receiving. texas certainly ran a dumbed-down offense, but at least they threw the ball downfield a lot more. aaron rodgers completed his first 24 or so passes against USC a few years ago, hardly ever throwing more than 7 yards downfield.

Juan Cribbs said:
cal's offense isn't pro-style at all. not from the quarterback perspective. the whole thing is based around the running game. joey harrington had 2 1000-yard rushers, boller had 2 as well, and they had 2 this past season. the QB just has to make 2 short reads to stationary receivers. rarely do they throw the deep ball. it's really just a simplified west coast, although the backs aren't used as much for receiving. texas certainly ran a dumbed-down offense, but at least they threw the ball downfield a lot more. aaron rodgers completed his first 24 or so passes against USC a few years ago, hardly ever throwing more than 7 yards downfield.

(from TOTK.com sports)
Aaron Rodgers, California- Great arm strength and comes from a pro style offense learned under quarterback guru Jeff Tedford. He has decent speed and can throw on the run. He reminds me of Baltimore’s Kyle Boller (a Cal alum), but with more talent and hopefully better offensive players around him.
(from NFL Draft Weekly)
He was remarkably efficient in Jeff Tedford's pro-style offense, and he should make a quick transition to the NFL. He also has great leadership skills and intelligence, and was almost like an extension of the coaching staff out on the field.))

Juan Cribbs, Im starting to wonder what you are smoking. Why do you think every Qb that comes from Tedford is given a thorough look? Its because they already have experience in a pro-style offense.

btw, where did you play football at, and did you play offense or defense?

you're using what is said on TOTK.com as a reference? "Sportswriting for the fans, by the fans since 1995." why do you think tedford's QBs are starting to get lots of critics? scouts aren't being fooled anymore. rodgers dropped for a reason. tedford's offense LOOKS like a pro-style offense from the first-look, but once you look into it more, there's no audibles, the QB has limited options to keep things simple...the only "pro-style" about is that they always drop back to pass from a standard I-Formation or other similar sets.

tedford's QBs get a good look because they usually have good mechanics, good size and put up good numbers. but it's pretty obvious that's not how you should judge a QB. before tedford simplifed things for boller, he was awful.

and i obviously never played organized football.

Juan Cribbs said:
you're using what is said on TOTK.com as a reference? "Sportswriting for the fans, by the fans since 1995." tedford's offense LOOKS like a pro-style offense from the first-look, but once you look into it more, there's no audibles, the QB has limited options to keep things simple...the only "pro-style" about is that they always drop back to pass from a standard I-Formation or other similar sets.

tedford's QBs get a good look because they usually have good mechanics, good size and put up good numbers. but it's pretty obvious that's not how you should judge a QB. before tedford simplifed things for boller, he was awful.}}}}}}}}}}}}

And NFL DRAFT WEEKLY, and tons of other sites and publications. Everyone else seems to think he runs a pro-style offense. I guess they didnt look into it closer like you did, huh? lol

Juan Cribbs said:
everyone else? proove it. i'd love to see what these people think, because they're wrong.

from Pro Football Weekly http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Insider/2005/wwhi032905.htm
Because Rodgers is more NFL-ready than Smith, having played in a pro-style offense and being three years Smith’s elder with great poise, an NFL assistant general manager estimated the chances of the Niners selecting Rodgers at 80 percent over the past weekend.

from The Sports Network
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/misc/moss/scrimmage_062305.htm
13. Jeff Tedford, Head Coach, California - The 43-year-old Tedford has tutored many a future NFL quarterback (Trent Dilfer, Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington, David Carr) within a pro-style scheme, and built something out of nothing with the Golden Bears (25-13 with three bowl appearances in three seasons). Tedford has no NFL experience, however.

here are some others

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=1718
http://www.ffmastermind.com/madnessguidesneakpeek.php
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2005/03/15/ramblings/four-downs/2428/
www.sportsopinionator.com
www.vegasexperts.com/articles
http://calbears.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020106aac.html

Back
Top Bottom