one missing piece | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

one missing piece

OG54

Starter
Reaction score
the one missing piece to complete this miami team is a june 1st cut in the shape of an o-linemen. does anybody have a link that shows who was cut after june 1st 2003 so that we can see what caliber of a player will be available?

Last edited by a moderator:
OG54 said:
does anybody have a link that shows who was cut after june 1st so that we can see what caliber of a player will be available?

:huh:

how did I miss the entire month of May?

I hate when that happens... :lol: :goof:

I think he meant the previous years. :confused:

They will probably mostly resemble the guys we have gotten rid of recently (Perry/Ruddy). It wouldn't surprise me to see Larry Allen get his walking papers.

OG54 said:
the one missing piece to complete this miami team is a june 1st cut in the shape of an o-linemen. does anybody have a link that shows who was cut after june 1st 2003 so that we can see what caliber of a player will be available?

not sure I agree since we drafted sooo many OLmen, but I can seea backup LT being worthwhile

checkout http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/transactions?date=20030604

This team isn't close to having just one missing piece. I like our talent, but there are a lot of question marks that have to go away before we talk about our team in those terms. AJ has to pan out. Our offensive linemen except James have to prove themselves individually, and the unit has to prove it can play together. Do we get the promising David Boston of 2001, or do we get the guy the Chargers had? Do we have a bona fide starting FS on the roster? I have hope for all of these things, but we need to be realistic about them...

I think we are done making moves along the OL - we have 11, possibly 12 guys that are capable of making this roster. I can see us making a move for a DT, LB or WR if someone interesting becomes available for the right price (meaning we wont make a play for an expensive player like Jeremiah Trotter). Thats about it. I believe even our safeties are set with Sammy, Arturo, Antwan Edwards and Yeremiah Bell pushing for playing time.

We Need a veteran LT

Surferosa said:
I think we are done making moves along the OL - we have 11, possibly 12 guys that are capable of making this roster. I can see us making a move for a DT, LB or WR if someone interesting becomes available for the right price (meaning we wont make a play for an expensive player like Jeremiah Trotter). Thats about it. I believe even our safeties are set with Sammy, Arturo, Antwan Edwards and Yeremiah Bell pushing for playing time.

I do not agree we are done on the OL. We must sign another pure LT. We are in worse shape this year at LT than last year when we went in to camp with Dixon and a rookie Wade Smith. This year we have Smith and his back up, McIntosh, is already injured as opposed to Dixon getting injured. There are no other players capable of full time LT duty in the event of injury, other than possibly St. Clair. If they admit that RT is not his best position, then he surely would be a liability at LT. Besides if he starts at RG, which he very well could, they are back at square one. They really need McIntosh to get healthy, but to count on that would again be dejau vu to Dixon/Smith all over again. Carey and Jerman are RT guys. Pape will be moved to OG and if he plays any tackle it would only be RT. St. Clair may be the guy to be the reserve there, but say he beats Carey out for the time being, we still have a no reserve at LT. They need to sign a Harry Swayne type of guy, a player who won't get the QB killed but may be at the end of the line otherwise. They do have a logjam of pretty good candidates to make the final roster and PS, but no depth at LT amongst all of these players, at least the healthy ones.

We all know that our OL lack of execution cost us some games last year. We also know that if we get decent starters out of our offseason and draft aquisitions, it will have a huge positive impact on this team...

But IMHO, the biggest impact we get this offseason, I hope is in our Special Teams. If only we would have had a few returns for TDs last year...

The offense and defense will improve, I am almost sure that it will not be any worse. But in our Special Teams, that is what I want to see the most improvement on this year...

Jorser I think we hjave a few guys that can play LT in the pinch- St Clair, Jerman, Pape, D-Mac (when healthy). I dont think the FO will sign a "pure" LT at the expense of a roster spot of one of the high celing guys that thety just drafted. JMO

I've been as critical as anyone about the Oline in the past but I think the majority of activity is over.......

Tony Pape was highly regarded prior to the USC game when Michigan's offensvie line was shown to be at best average. But that's one game and it was against the eventuall national champion. Prior to that game some were labeling him the third best lineman coming out of college behind Gallery and Andrews.

If you check Pape's projection prior to the draft you will see that most had him going as early as pick 51 with a "mean" of around pick 65. I've seen him rated as the 5 best tackle. I've seen him rated as the 12 best tackle. So as for "projections" the Dolphins took two offensive tackles in the first three rounds.

If you base your evaluation of Spielman's draft on "projections" it wouldn't be a stretch to say we got a 1st rounder in Carey, a 2nd rounder in Poole, and a 3rd rounder in Pape.

Time will tell.

There is always gonna be someone there in June who might help. I look for the team to sign a DE,if ogun is not wraped up by then.Dolfanreal69

Jorser said:
I do not agree we are done on the OL. We must sign another pure LT. We are in worse shape this year at LT than last year when we went in to camp with Dixon and a rookie Wade Smith.

I can't see how we're in worse shape than last year. Last year, we had a rookie, 295 lb. Wade Smith. This year, we have a more experienced, baptized-by-fire Smith who's added 20 pounds of muscle. Did Dixon even make it to camp last year? (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm legitimately wondering)

And I agree with the prevailing sentiment: we have enough linemen. We'll have about 13 or 14 guys competing for 9 or 10 spots, and I imagine the coaching staff will let the RT and RG positions sort themselves out with a tough competition. At some point, you need to limit the number of guys you can bring in; the coaching staff can only work with so many guys. Most June 1 cuts will want to go somewhere where they are assured of a starting job, and that's probably not going to be Miami.

Surferosa said:
Jorser I think we hjave a few guys that can play LT in the pinch- St Clair, Jerman, Pape, D-Mac (when healthy). I dont think the FO will sign a "pure" LT at the expense of a roster spot of one of the high celing guys that thety just drafted. JMO

Surfer.......maybe not a pure LT but someone who can play LT. OK, here is a scenario for you. It is game #2 of reg season. McIntosh is on PUP, St. Clair is your starting RG. Pape has been converted full time to a guard due to his lack of athleticism (this is the book on him, good prospect, but does not have the ability to slide in pas pro.........very important esp for LT). And Jerman has been converted to a full time RG, and backs up there. They have also stated this, that they want Jerman to focus on guard and they are making him a guard. PS - he also does not have the lateral slide to very a good LT. Who plays LT when Wade Smith is injured in this game?

Back
Top Bottom