One more word about Oronde & Friends | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One more word about Oronde & Friends

DrAstroZoom

Bon vivant
Reaction score
This from The Sporting News's Dan Pompei:

Gadsen's gaffe

I don't understand the fuss in South Florida over the Dolphins' treatment of receiver Oronde Gadsden.

I'm willing to cut Gadsden some slack over the fact that he refused to play unless the Dolphins extended his contract, even though at least three other receivers in the league have recently played with the same injury. Gadsden is allowed to look out for his own best interests, even if he did his teammates no favors.

But what I don't get is why his teammates would be mad at team management for not caving into Gadsden's contract demands. Gadsden wanted a contract similar to the one the team gave James McKnight last year. Well, the Dolphins overpaid for McKnight, and they probably realize it now. Why make the same mistake again? They offered Gadsden a contract extension that they felt was fair. Gadsden did not feel it was fair, so they agreed to not extend the deal at this time.

Gadsden's camp also blamed the Dolphins for covering their bases and seeking out other receiver options while this negotiation was going on. That was silly, because the Dolphins had to be prepared for every possibility.

Furthermore, if Gadsden wanted to enhance his value to the team, he would have elected to play hurt, instead of electing to have surgery and sit out the rest of the season. As it is now, Gadsden's market value will be considerably less than would it have been had he played the rest of the year.

His market value will suffer even more if the Dolphins find out they're better with Cris Carter than they were with Gadsden, and that is a real possibility.

Do the research and you'll find that...

... the injury that OG had REQUIRED surgery within 6 weeks OR else the damage is IRREVERSABLE (even with "reconstructive surgery"). I posted two links on this last week and would include them here but I have no time.

The point is this: he had to do it.

On that same note: so did management ("have to do it," i.e. get Carter).

Really, I don't see what all the fuss is about (from the players, that is). Everyone simply did what they had to do in their own best interests. If/when those interests are mutual... GREAT. Otherwise, how does it go? Ce la vi? That is life?

So I agree, Doc. I, too, "... don't understand the fuss in South Florida over the Dolphins' treatment of receiver Oronde Gadsden."

Oh, and as for extending his contract... please! Given his age AND the nature of this injury... it's simply not SMART business on the Dolphin's part. Loyalty or not. Appreciation or not.

McMicheal. As far as I heard it the injury was very similar to one that a Steelers WR played through previously with no problems.

It was simple really. Gagsden is a "hands" guy. Without his hands he simply isn't an NFL caliber reciever. He would have been useless with his hand casted.

One more thing.

Given everything... I still think that OG has a home with the 'PHINS. Frankly, he will NOT find anyone interested in paying him what he wants. So if he's smart (actually, if his agent is smart [uhhhh, good luck! - there's the rub]) he'll haggle a little with Dolphin's management and come back to finish his career in Miami.

Here's hoping!

His career IS finished right here in Miami. If he's lucky he might be offered the min by a team with absolutely nothing at reciever.

Good point, but...

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
McMicheal. As far as I heard it the injury was very similar to one that a Steelers WR played through previously with no problems.

It was simple really. Gagsden is a "hands" guy. Without his hands he simply isn't an NFL caliber reciever. He would have been useless with his hand casted.

Good point - his MOST IMPORTANT attribute is, indeed, his incredible hands (second largest in the NFL, btw).

But the FACT remains that with third degree ligament injuries (especially in the wrists) you can NOT go back and repair the damage after six weeks go by. It's not like a bone that didn't set right after breaking and then healing in a misaligned position. You can't simply re-break ligaments and then re-set them like you can bones.

Am I explaining this alright?

If he had some speed in those long legs he would be a lot more appealing to other teams.

I like Gadsden and all and I think he was great for us and when he was first playing for us in the preseason during the JJ era and made some amazing catches I said that I would be mad if we didn't keep him.

But I don't think he deserves a Mcknight size contract, but then again Idon't think Mcknight deserves a Mcknight size contract either. I totally agree with what the article says and I really don't think Oronde is gonna get offered that much money from other teams just because on other teams he wouldn't be a number 1 guy, maybe for the bengals that is.

But if the Phins win the Super Bowl this year and Carter has a good year I see him maybe sticking it out a few more years ala Jerry Rice and we will say goodbye to Gadsden so I wish him luck now in his future career as a Bengal if he has the hopes of being a number one receiver.

Back
Top Bottom