One Other Thing to Consider | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One Other Thing to Consider

Cranx

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
One issue that I have not seen brought up here for a while is that of using a third-down back. In the beginning of the season last year Robert Edwards was used extensively as a third down back which allowed Williams to rest and provided a change of pace that kept defenses guessing. I realize that the third down back thing was eventually phased out towards the end of the season but it seemed to be a success when it was utilized and I really believe it should be explored as an option once again.

Travis Minor actually got the ball once on 3rd down in the Indy game and he amazed me. I think he ran for 15 yards or something like that. And I don't think it was because the defense thought it was going to be a pass, I believe he gained those yards becuase the defense was getting use to Ricky's patient style, and then Minor changed it up by exploding up the C gap with a few cuts to escape some of the tackles.

the real issue is Ricky. If Ricky is the 2002 Ricky, then he s/b in there 3rd down since he is a solid pass protector and good receiver, but this year I am starting to have my doubts.

Originally posted by FinsGoToGuy
Maybe he has lost too much weight ?
:confused:
it does not look like a physical problem to me. It looks like a combo of gettnig hits behind the LOS and not changing his running style to match the (pathetic) OL: i.e. not just hitting up in the hole hard like he did ag the Bills

Good point.

He's waiting for the hole to create like last year. The problem is that everything is collapsing around him.

Rickey

The problem is not ricky, he is fine, the o-line is the problem. Last year even when there was not much of a hole, the o-line at least kept the defense out of teh backfield allowing rickey to get"North/South and run with power. This year he is going East/west too much or having to avoid someone in the backfield. Rickey is tough once he gets going, but can be human if they get to him before he gets going, which has been the case.

Re: Rickey

Originally posted by rickeyrunsover
The problem is not ricky, he is fine, the o-line is the problem. Last year even when there was not much of a hole, the o-line at least kept the defense out of teh backfield allowing rickey to get"North/South and run with power. This year he is going East/west too much or having to avoid someone in the backfield. Rickey is tough once he gets going, but can be human if they get to him before he gets going, which has been the case.

I agree but if he's going to be getting hit in the backfield all the time anyway, Wanny might as well spell him once and a while to save him some of the punishment.

Give Minor a shot and let him be a change of pace guy.

Back
Top Bottom