ONE YEAR LATER, Phins prove to be ahead of NFL | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ONE YEAR LATER, Phins prove to be ahead of NFL

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
It happened at about 4:00 pm today, while I was at work. It happened when the Raiders made their first selection of the 2002 NFL Draft. I heard the words "With the 18th pick, the Oakland Raiders select cornerback PHILLIP BUCHANON, University of Miami". And I immediately felt vindication. It had happened. The rest of the league was finally starting to catch up.

One year ago, our Dolphins were second-guessed by every person this side of Mars. Everyone and their mother questioned the logic of using a #1 pick on a CB. There were so many other positions in need. And the Phins already boasted the top CB duo in the league. We Dolfans (for the most part) defended this move. And even though Terry Cousin ended up the #3 man, the logic still resounds. Now another team had taken notice of the importance of the nickelback. And it didn't stop with the Raiders. By the end of the first round, two more teams with already solid defensive backfields (all contenders) used their #1 pick on a top-flight CB.

Oakland - Like Jamar Fletcher, Phillip Buchanon was the best cover CB in the draft. And now he joins a group that already includes Charles Woodson, Eric Allen, Tory James, and Terrance Shaw. Allen is almost done. But the unit is still very deep.

Philly - The Eagles already boast Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor, Brian Dawkins, and Blaine Bishop. Now they add Lito Sheppard, who also returns punts. This could be the league's best/most complete secondary.

San Francisco - Mike Rumph joins an already solid unit with Pro Bowler Ahmed Plummer, Jason Webster, Zack Bronson, and Tony Parrish. Very underrated unit here.

Steve Marriucci told ESPN flat out that they picked Rumph specifically with the Rams in mind. Hmmm.....sounds kinda like what Dave Wannstedt said one year ago, except he used the words "New York Jets" and "Indianapolis Colts". I heard the same logic coming out of Eagles camp too. "We want to beat the Rams".

One year later, it turns out that the Phins had a jump on the rest of the league. Wanny and Speilman realized that they needed a bonafied starter at nickelback. A ballhawk with the ability to play press coverage. They had been burned one to many times by the slot man. And each time it had proven costly. So they decided to do something about it. And they were scorned.

Now the Eagles and 49ers are doing something about it. And they are being cheered. I find it odd that not one of these analysts are mentioning the Dolphins. As long as we Dolfans know the truth, I guess that's all that matters.

Originally posted by Muck

Oakland - Like Jamar Fletcher, Phillip Buchanon was the best cover CB in the draft. And now he joins a group that already includes Charles Woodson, Eric Allen, Tory James, and Terrance Shaw. Allen is almost done. But the unit is still very deep.

Philly - The Eagles already boast Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor, Brian Dawkins, and Blaine Bishop. Now they add Lito Sheppard, who also returns punts. This could be the league's best/most complete secondary.

You pretty much answered your own bit there with "Allen is almost done". The Raiders want Buchanon to spend a year as a nickel learning from Allen and then take over Allen's spot. He wasn't drafted with the intention of being a nickel back like Fletcher.

The Eagles situation is one I wish the phins were able to do and perhaps they will be in a position to do so next year. Start drafting ahead of the cap. The Eagles had a replacement ready for Trotters departure and if one of those corners doesn't come to an acceptable contract down the road then it's also 'adios mis amigos'.

Don't know the 49 situation to really comment it on other then with the Rams in their division they need all the corner help they can get :lol:

Great post Muck.
One more thing though, JJ pointed out yesterday on ESPN after the Eagles drafted Shepard, Philly is also drafting with an eye toward Washington, the University of FLorida's Northern Campus.

Exactly. I forgot about that one!! Thanks.

Re: Re: ONE YEAR LATER, Phins prove to be ahead of NFL

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

You pretty much answered your own bit there with "Allen is almost done". The Raiders want Buchanon to spend a year as a nickel learning from Allen and then take over Allen's spot. He wasn't drafted with the intention of being a nickel back like Fletcher.

Thing is, most teams would have let that position lie. With Tory James and Shaw on the roster, they wouldn't have made the move. But Al Davis wants to stay dominant at CB. This pick was just as much about Tory James as it was Eric Allen.

Back
Top Bottom