Only in America | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Only in America

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I figured since it's relatively slow, I'd share this and move it later on. Anyway.....

I was watching the news tonight and they were talking about the six high school kids who applied for the NFL Draft. Get this.....

It turns out that one of them goes to a school that DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A FOOTBALL TEAM. One is a DB who had ZERO interceptions last year. And another who applied NEVER PLAYED FOOTBALL AT THE VARSITY LEVEL.

Only in America.

Probably just wanted their names in the newspaper.....and I'm not sure why the papers obliged....

And this is just the beginning, unfortunately.

Hopefully, this doesn't turn out like the NBA. Not many high schoolers enter the NBA draft, because there's only two rounds. With more positions and 5 more rounds in the NFL, things could get out of hand.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84
Hopefully, this doesn't turn out like the NBA. Not many high schoolers enter the NBA draft, because there's only two rounds. With more positions and 5 more rounds in the NFL, things could get out of hand.
It won't get out of hand, every year there's good COLLEGE players that don't even get drafted(or just barely, like Ken Dorsey in the 7th round)

yeah but maybe you see something in a kid like size and determination and you just "mold" him into your player over a few years time. maybe if the kid is super fast you see if he can play ST. its a long shot, but it could happen. i mean, there are guys in the NFL who have only played one year of college ball and never played in HS. very very few and far between, but i thnk it could happen but no kid is going to come into a camp and do something. no way.

Maurice Clarett's success (or lack thereof) will go a LONG way toward settling this issue. We'll just have to see how he turns out. If he flops, that will set the under-21 movement (for lack of a better term) back at least five years. If he's a big success, I think we may be looking at a similar situation to the NBA.

I think the easiest solution would be to expand the practice squads. Given that there's already a rookie salary pool, there shouldn't be as much pressure to get a should be-college sophomore on the field because of the money he's making. By expanding the practice squads, you could keep these kids from seeing the field for a year or two and let them work on learning the game in practice, which isn't so bad (kind of like what the Detroit Pistons are doing with Darko Milicic). You'd have to alter the rules a little about claiming players from another team's practice squad, of course, but I think that's a good way to handle this.

Back
Top Bottom