optimistic dolfans please read!!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

optimistic dolfans please read!!!!

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
I just want to express my opinion on dolphins. I'm as diehard as they come and I've endured my share of heartbreaks over the past 21 years as a dolfan.

I know that most of us agree that we should have won last week and that we played like crap but from the sounds of some of these posts and the local newspapers, you would think we were as bad as the lions!!!!

In my opinion, we are a good team but we are not great. We can be great when we put it all together. Right now, our O-line and D-line have been too inconsistent, our special teams have been lousy, we've committed too many turnovers, our coaching hasn't been the best and Fiedler can't seem to throw the deep ball. All of this causes many of us dolfans to bad mouth the team we love.

We have a very talented team on paper but that doesn't do anything for you on Sundays. The truth is that when we lose, everyone seems to talk about how bad our team is and when we win, everybody wants to talk super bowl. If we don't make it at least to the AFC championship game I'll be so pissed but we need to remember that that is a long way away. So let's be patient and see how we respond to adversity. This is a different team, a different year, and hopefully a different outcome will come of it.

good post. it's a marathon, not a sprint, and yeah, our guy may look a little unsteady but at least he's not burning himself out early...

I agree. When your team goes to the play-offs 9 out of the last 13 years, and hasn't had a losing season since before 1990 (I don't remember before then, that was before I was a fan), yet has only one championship game appearance and no Super Bowls to show for it, you get place into an agonizing position of always good but never great. I go up and down a lot with the emotions of winning and losing because I care so much about the team, but it's just part of the experience of being a Dolphins fan. One of these years the team is going to break through and win the Super Bowl. Not sure when, but hopefully soon. Until then we can be excited about cheering for a play-off contender year in and year out.

when you win the division w/o Ricky Williams and Jr Seau and you add them to your team, fans are going to expect a visit to the big show. However, we have such as huge disparity between the talent we have on O and that on D that every game is going to be struggle (maybe not this Monday ;) ). Everyone will criticize the O much, but you get what you pay for...it is like comparing the Expos to the Braves

I consider myself an optimistic fan, so I read your post.

You speak the truth, grasshopper. This year feels different in a variety of ways, not all bad, but not all good either.

However, different is welcome. A strong December would be different. Putting a weaker opponent away early in a game would be different. Aggressively defending a lead in the fourth quarter would be different.

And most importantly, winning a damn Superbowl would be really different.

Originally posted by FinsGoToGuy
a bye would be huge but the way Kansas City and Indiannapolis are playing it will be hard...

True. I have to admit, the only place that would really concern me is Arrowhead. I remember what happened last year, when the Chiefs were only a .500 team. As for the Colts, well, they are playing really well, but not only have the Dolphins always seemed to play well against Manning, they have a 5-game winning streak at the RCA Dome, and a team almost identical to Miami (Carolina) took out the Colts at the Dome last week. Not that the Dolphins' success at Indy and against Manning in past years means they would win this year, but KC scares me a lot more than Indy does.

...unless you forget we only have one less loss than Indy and we play them at home in 3 weeks. We could easily jump in front of them and have the head to head tiebreaker with that win...

Originally posted by FinsGoToGuy
a bye would be huge but the way Kansas City and Indiannapolis are playing it will be hard...

Well if we win this week & handle the Colts at home the next.. we'd have the edge. But you also have to look at Indy's division, which contains atleast three easy wins(with one upset from Jax or Hou possible).

I'm definitely an optimist...

3-0 on the road baby. No baseball infield for the rest of the season. Dixon and Konrad on the mend. When teams like the chiefs/Vikes lose, they may very well get on a downward streak ) I can remember us going 6-0, 9-0 often. No.1 seed is not out of the question yet, let alone the playoffs.

I don't see how being good but not great is such an aganizing position. No Superbowls suck, but superbowls are hard to win. It takes a lot of hard work, luck and talent to make it to one.

I think we are very close to clicking. Each game that I have watched I have looked for signs that the offense is improving in some way. Each week something gets better, but something else breaks down. I don't think any of the games have been complete disasters (except the Houston game). While the long passing game isn't quite clicking, I believe we are giving teams things to worry about.

I believe our O Line has to (and will) improve. The line play is not completely broken. There are portions of every game where the play is good enough. They have just not been able to sustain it for complete games. I think we are extremely close to breaking games open but continue to have breakdowns. I believe when the line play gets more consistent, we will break out.

Fiedler needs to play better. Not a lot, but some improvement is needed. He doesn't need to be a probowl QB. He only needs to plays as well as he did early last year. I think the coaches are trying to determine if he can get back to that point. That is their dilemma. They have witnessed him playing well enough, on this team, in this system, not that long ago. If he can't get it back, they will make a switch. As long as they are not losing games, they can afford to be patient.

During the Pats game, when the Fins got the ball back after the Pats tied the score, I turned to my wife and said:

"every time (except one) the Fins have REALLY needed a drive, they have gotten it. Against the Texans, Jets, Bills, Jags, Giants there was a point in the game where they needed to answer back or put together a game defining drive. They put it together every time, except the Texan's game"

Even though the offense had sputtered most of the game, they put together a 16-play, 9 minute drive that should have sealed a win. They got in FG position, used up the clock, and NE's timeouts. This was the drive they needed during the Pats game last year and they went 3 and out. After missing the FG, they came out and put together another long drive that should have sealed the win. Last year's team wouldn't have put either of those drives together.

In summary, I am very optimistic. I think they will win the division, and finish at 11-5 or 12-4. Might not get home field, but I think this team is just a bit tougher than last years.

I really would be interested in seeing what the playoff team standings were like after seven games.........nothing would matter if we started this week and began our super bowl run........took the rest of the season to hammer out a few bumps.....and by december just became a mean machine......full steam into the playoffs and superbowl!

I already feel cheated for the Dolphins loss last week at the Pro because of that damn infield clay(among other things). However.... I would feel even worse if those damn Yankees win and the Dolphins lost for nothing.

Going back to the orginal post. Everything that Phinfan2003 said is abolutly correct. Dolphin fans are the most emotionally unstable group of fans in the NFL. The loss to Houston sent the Fans into a frenzie,"THE SEASON IS OVER" they said. We beat what we all thought was a good Buffalo team, and "WE'RE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL" they said. Me personally, Im the fan thats ignorantly optimistic. We could be down by 21 with under 2 minutes to go in the 4th quarter and in my head we still have a chance.(OK OK... LETS GO..... get a touchdown, go for the onside kick, recover... repeat... and repeat. Go into OT and kick the winning field goal, as long as its not in the infield dirt, and thats it..... we win...... SIMPLE RIGHT??) Thats whats in my head. Im not turning off the TV... Im not leaving Joe Player Stadium early... Im staying till the bitter end,... win or lose.

Back
Top Bottom