Orgeron's comments on Manuel Wright. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Orgeron's comments on Manuel Wright.

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
I've got one question for the Sun Sentinel reporter that wrote that article.

How in the hell did you understand what Ed Orgeron was saying? That guy is cajun to the bone, and I can't understand a damn word he says.

I find it interesting that prior to the supplemental draft, Orgeron kept emphasizing how much of a question mark Manuel Wright is...then after the draft he starts talking about how he's going to the perfect situation in Miami and how he was destined to be a top 10 selection in the 2006 draft if he had gotten the chance to play this year, etc.

Anyone think it's possible that Saban has a good connection with Orgeron? Or maybe Tim Anderson was a good buddy of his...

Certainly the Anderson connection is there.

But his comments prior to the draft included statements about Wright needing the right support system/coaching for Wright to realize his potential.

But his comments prior to the draft included statements about Wright needing the right support system/coaching for Wright to realize his potential.

Yes, but with an emphasis on how much of a "gamble" Wright is, as a player. I mean, I looked at Orgeron's quotes prior to the draft and I thought, wow that's not a very glowing recommendation coming from his former DL coach.

BEFORE:

"Manny is really a mystery," said Mississippi coach Ed Orgeron, Wright's former defensive coach at USC. "In the pros, you don't know if you are getting an All-Pro or not. He can be an All-Pro. He could also not make it. I think he needed two more years in school because he would have been one of the most dominating defensive linemen in football. Now, it's kinda scary. A team is really rolling the dice."

"[When] I saw at his workout he was 329," Orgeron said. "That's too big for him. When he was at 287 or 290 pounds, he was really quick. I remember when he came in at 327, he was fat and out of shape. He's not a bad kid. He's not a mean kid. Sometimes, his attitude is very, very immature. His success in the NFL will depend on his support system. If he has a good support system, he will do well, but he will need that."

"Even though Wright is 6-5, he plays low to the ground like Cortez," Orgeron said. "He's powerful and quick. Like Cortez, he has great upper body strength. He has that great first step like Cortez. He's quick off the ball. He has a tremendous club with his hands. He's very savvy."

AFTER:

"Manny will get into an offensive lineman before he gets out of his stance," said Orgeron, head coach at Mississippi. "If he had been eligible, I believe that he could've been one of the most dominating college linemen this year and a probable top-10 pick next year.

"Manny's a fine young man. School just wasn't his thing," Orgeron added. "He was a mystery because he showed flashes of greatness, but in my experience, in the right hands, and I do believe the Dolphins are the right team for him, [Miami] got a steal."

Does anyone else see a difference there? Almost like Orgeron wanted to see Wright go to Miami.

I don't see any difference.

The before and after say the same thing, IMO but, with a few more details in the before.

As a matter of fact, if you put the quotes together it reads like there is no contradiction at all....
"Manny is really a mystery," said Mississippi coach Ed Orgeron, Wright's former defensive coach at USC. "In the pros, you don't know if you are getting an All-Pro or not. He can be an All-Pro. He could also not make it. I think he needed two more years in school because he would have been one of the most dominating defensive linemen in football. Now, it's kinda scary. A team is really rolling the dice."

"[When] I saw at his workout he was 329," Orgeron said. "That's too big for him. When he was at 287 or 290 pounds, he was really quick. I remember when he came in at 327, he was fat and out of shape. He's not a bad kid. He's not a mean kid. Sometimes, his attitude is very, very immature. His success in the NFL will depend on his support system. If he has a good support system, he will do well, but he will need that."

"Even though Wright is 6-5, he plays low to the ground like Cortez," Orgeron said. "He's powerful and quick. Like Cortez, he has great upper body strength. He has that great first step like Cortez. He's quick off the ball. He has a tremendous club with his hands. He's very savvy." "Manny will get into an offensive lineman before he gets out of his stance," said Orgeron, head coach at Mississippi. "If he had been eligible, I believe that he could've been one of the most dominating college linemen this year and a probable top-10 pick next year.

"Manny's a fine young man. School just wasn't his thing," Orgeron added. "He was a mystery because he showed flashes of greatness, but in my experience, in the right hands, and I do believe the Dolphins are the right team for him, [Miami] got a steal."

I see a real difference between saying "Now, it's kinda scary. A team is really rolling the dice." and saying "Miami got a steal."

Out of context and only being able to read the words, they do appear to be contradictory statements but, the way I read it, I think it has everything to do with where he was thought to be taken in the draft and what would have been expected from such a high pick, as opposed to the expectations from a fifth round pick.

He said right before the "scary" comment that if he had spent two more years in school he would have been dominant and that he could be an All-Pro so, being a 5th round selection means he's more apt to get those two years of development. as opposed to being pressured to play right away.

Being that the Dolphins and Nick Saban are garnering a new rep as a coaching staff that puts an emphasis on teaching, maybe he sees that as the perfect situation for the young man, and he thinks they got a steal.

inFINSible said:
Out of context and only being able to read the words, they do appear to be contradictory statements but, the way I read it, I think it has everything to do with where he was thought to be taken in the draft and what would have been expected from such a high pick, as opposed to the expectations from a fifth round pick.

He said right before the "scary" comment that if he had spent two more years in school he would have been dominant and that he could be an All-Pro so, being a 5th round selection means he's more apt to get those two years of development. as opposed to being pressured to play right away.

Being that the Dolphins and Nick Saban are garnering a new rep as a coaching staff that puts an emphasis on teaching, maybe he sees that as the perfect situation for the young man, and he thinks they got a steal.

:yeahthat:

Back
Top Bottom