Other than the Dolphins, which teams had great drafts? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Other than the Dolphins, which teams had great drafts?

GreenDolphinSt

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I think 3 teams starting with "C" had really good drafts - Carolina, Chicago, and Cleveland. Chicago, mainly for the trade up, and the other 2 for good value picks top to bottom.

I definitely agree that Chicago had a good draft. Of course, a lot of that pends how Fields turns out. But Fields was a guy that many thought could be the #2 in the draft. Fields is a guy I can see not having the highest upside in the draft, but just from his natural ability I think he's got a chance to be able to come out and generate consistent if unspectacular offense right away. With the defensive talent they have in Chicago, that could be a huge boost, and it holds open that championship window that was held back because they couldn't get Trubisky developed.

Jets also seemed to have a good draft, though I could see Wilson being a mediocre QB there.

Honestly, from what I could tell, it seemed like a lot of teams were doing what they needed to do for themselves. There were only a couple that just made head-scratching moves, and those I can't remember.

Personally I liked Denver Detroit and Jacksonville.

Denver getting the most NFL ready CB in the draft in Surtain. Adding JaVonte Williams Quinn Meinerz and Baron Browning in the 2nd and 3rd rounds is amazing value. Adding Caden Sterns and Jamar Johnson both Safety’s in the 5th round also great value. 7th rounder Jonathan Cooper the EDGE out of Ohio St will make there roster. I thought Denver crushed it and you can tell they wanted to add power and strength. They did just that.

Detroit is starting a new regime and how do you build a football team from scratch? Build from the inside out. That’s exactly what they did using there first 3 selections on each side of the line of scrimmage. Sewell in the 1st then Levi Onwuzurike and Alim McNeil both DTs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Detroit is building up the lines of scrimmage and that’s how you win football games. It’s not sexy picks for the fans but true football guys understand that’s where it starts is up front. Then they add Ifeatu Melifonwu and get him in the 3rd round that’s great value. Theyll pair him opposite Jeff Okudah who I really loved in last years class and now they have quite the young tandem. Amon-Ra St Brown in the 4th once again great value. Same thing with Derrick Barnes the LB from Purdue. That dude is a thumper. He fits the theme Detroit was aiming for. Power and strength. Also getting Jermar Jefferson in the 7th round the tailback out of Oregon St was great. I’ve watched him quite a few times and I had a late 4th-early 5th round grade on him. He will make Detroit’s final roster and be a very solid 3rd down back. Very unspectacular but extremely solid foundation building for the Lions in this draft. Well done Detroit.

Last is Jacksonville for me. Obviously getting my guy TLaw is a win by itself. Then they add another one of my Clemson Tigers in Travis Etienne late in the 1st. I know a lot of people don’t like tailbacks in the 1st and I agree but I thought that was more than reasonable getting him at 25 while at the same time pleasing TLaw very much. They were 34-2 at Clemson together. Will always have a place in my heart for them. They’re also great people. Spent a ton of time around both of them and they are great great guys. Love the pairing. Getting the upside of Tyson Campbell early in round 2 was nice. Then Walker Little in the mid 2nd. If they can get him back in the same form he was at Stanford 2 years ago look out. He has top 15ish talent. Great pick to protect TLaw. Andre Cisco in the 3rd and Jay Tufele in the 4th were absolute steals both of them. 6th rounder Jalen Camp a WR out of Georgia Tech is an Urban Meyer guy. Quicker than he is fast with multiple position versatility. Not many coaches around that use those type of gadget guys better than Urban Meyer. This class sets up TLaw for immediate success. Great class for the Jags.

Personally I liked Denver Detroit and Jacksonville.

Denver getting the most NFL ready CB in the draft in Surtain. Adding JaVonte Williams Quinn Meinerz and Baron Browning in the 2nd and 3rd rounds is amazing value. Adding Caden Sterns and Jamar Johnson both Safety’s in the 5th round also great value. 7th rounder Jonathan Cooper the EDGE out of Ohio St will make there roster. I thought Denver crushed it and you can tell they wanted to add power and strength. They did just that.

Detroit is starting a new regime and how do you build a football team from scratch? Build from the inside out. That’s exactly what they did using there first 3 selections on each side of the line of scrimmage. Sewell in the 1st then Levi Onwuzurike and Alim McNeil both DTs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Detroit is building up the lines of scrimmage and that’s how you win football games. It’s not sexy picks for the fans but true football guys understand that’s where it starts is up front. Then they add Ifeatu Melifonwu and get him in the 3rd round that’s great value. Theyll pair him opposite Jeff Okudah who I really loved in last years class and now they have quite the young tandem. Amon-Ra St Brown in the 4th once again great value. Same thing with Derrick Barnes the LB from Purdue. That dude is a thumper. He fits the theme Detroit was aiming for. Power and strength. Also getting Jermar Jefferson in the 7th round the tailback out of Oregon St was great. I’ve watched him quite a few times and I had a late 4th-early 5th round grade on him. He will make Detroit’s final roster and be a very solid 3rd down back. Very unspectacular but extremely solid foundation building for the Lions in this draft. Well done Detroit.

Last is Jacksonville for me. Obviously getting my guy TLaw is a win by itself. Then they add another one of my Clemson Tigers in Travis Etienne late in the 1st. I know a lot of people don’t like tailbacks in the 1st and I agree but I thought that was more than reasonable getting him at 25 while at the same time pleasing TLaw very much. They were 34-2 at Clemson together. Will always have a place in my heart for them. They’re also great people. Spent a ton of time around both of them and they are great great guys. Love the pairing. Getting the upside of Tyson Campbell early in round 2 was nice. Then Walker Little in the mid 2nd. If they can get him back in the same form he was at Stanford 2 years ago look out. He has top 15ish talent. Great pick to protect TLaw. Andre Cisco in the 3rd and Jay Tufele in the 4th were absolute steals both of them. 6th rounder Jalen Camp a WR out of Georgia Tech is an Urban Meyer guy. Quicker than he is fast with multiple position versatility. Not many coaches around that use those type of gadget guys better than Urban Meyer. This class sets up TLaw for immediate success. Greta class for the Jags.
Hmmm. Can't argue with any of those. I was wondering how St Brown lasted so long. Jefferson too, although he's an RB. And Tufele in the 4th.

I think that Denver had a great draft, as well as the Jets- we can only hope Wilson is a bust...

plenty of other good drafts too, but some colts fans around me were talking up their draft and it seemed pretty..... meh

I definitely agree that Chicago had a good draft. Of course, a lot of that pends how Fields turns out. But Fields was a guy that many thought could be the #2 in the draft. Fields is a guy I can see not having the highest upside in the draft, but just from his natural ability I think he's got a chance to be able to come out and generate consistent if unspectacular offense right away. With the defensive talent they have in Chicago, that could be a huge boost, and it holds open that championship window that was held back because they couldn't get Trubisky developed.

Jets also seemed to have a good draft, though I could see Wilson being a mediocre QB there.

Honestly, from what I could tell, it seemed like a lot of teams were doing what they needed to do for themselves. There were only a couple that just made head-scratching moves, and those I can't remember.

Highest Ceiling belongs to Trey Lance IMO

Biggest bonehead move was Chuckie talking the Bama OL in round 1... I wonder if Mayock gets something similar to Hazardous duty pay?

Back
Top Bottom