Our defense can't be any closer to perfect... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our defense can't be any closer to perfect...

Gonk

Active Roster
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything missing on defense for us. There are no holes anywhere, and we are about as perfect as a defense can get.

DE: O-Gun (57 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 2 FF's last year), Jason Taylor (69 tackles, 19 sacks, 7 FF's, Probowl last year)
-- Depth: Jay Williams (6 sacks last year), Rob Burnett (4 sacks last year), David Bowens (2 sacks last year)

DT: Tim Bowens (36 tackles, Probowl last year), Larry Chester (37 tackles, 2 sacks last year)
-- Depth: Jeff Zgonia (Previous captain of the World Champion St. Louis Rams, 38 tackles, 4 sacks last year),

OLB: Junior Seau (84 tackles, 1 INT, 1 FF, 2 sacks **in only 13 games**, Probowl last year), Morlon Greenwood (51 tackles, 1 sack last year)
-- Depth: Eddie Moore (rookie, 2nd round pick), Justin Seaverns, Josh Symonette

ILB: Zach Thomas (156 tackles, 1 INT, Probowl last year)
-- Depth: Tommy Hendricks, Justin Seaverns, Josh Symonette

CB: Patrick Surtain (58 tackles, 2 sacks, 6 INT's, Probowl last year), Sam Madison (34 tackles, 3 INT's, 1 FF, Probowl last year), Terrell Buckley (21 tackles, 4 INT's last year)
-- Depth: Jamar Fletcher (37 tackles, 2 INT's last year), Omare Lowe, Bashir Levingston, Cedric Donaldson, Korey Banks

FS: Brock Marion (93 tackles, 5 INT's, Probowl last year)
-- Depth: Arturo Freeman (72 tackles, 2 sacks), Yeremiah Bell

SS: Sammy Knight (107 tackles, 2 FF's, 5 INT's)
-- Depth: Arturo Freeman (72 tackles, 2 sacks), Yeremiah Bell

We have amazing guys at every single position, and tons of amazing veteran depth at every position.

And plus it has been documented that we will be more aggressive in key situations.

I can't wait.

we added 4 mentally tough vets in Seau, TBuck, Knight and Zgnonina to the likes of Zach, JT, Pat, Brock and Sam. I gotta agree, but will let you know if your statement is true after we beat the Jets 12/28

sure it can. yes we are solid ,but in a dream land i can improve this d even more.
1 give vincent or taylor for buckley
2. lets have d . brooks for greenwood
3. you can see where im going with this. we are solid but we can always get better.

Va.fin fan - if this we baseball and Wayne was secretly funded by George, then you could wish for more.

BTW clump or other cap-maniacs - do the phins have the highest percentage of cap money used on their starting 11 players on D of any team ?

I agree that we should have a great defense. Let's just hope that the talk about being aggressive isn't just talk. I really don't see any weaknesses.

Originally posted by Tatonka
your defense is unbeatable.. you guys should shut everyone out all year. seriously.. there is no way you lose a single game..

thanks for pointing those stats out gonk!!

I haven't seen a D that can't be beat, have you? we beat the Baltimore D, in their super bowl run..Tampa D gave up points and lost last year..I haven't seen perfection..But I have seen undefeated..1972..and no other team has done it since...In all honestest, how do you feel about the bills this year?

Originally posted by Va.fin fan
sure it can. yes we are solid ,but in a dream land i can improve this d even more.
1 give vincent or taylor for buckley
2. lets have d . brooks for greenwood
3. you can see where im going with this. we are solid but we can always get better.

Hey, let's be realistic while we're at it ;)

Originally posted by Tatonka
there is no sarcasm here.. why would you assume that.. i am just trying to fit in with all the other posters man..

i am a believer!!

miami defense = perfection!

Bills message board slow?

Tho I know out DL is predicated on stuffing the run and that responsibility falling mostly on the shoulders of our DT's...I would STILL like a DT who could penetrate a lil more, someone a lil quicker. I think we could have so many more sacks and totally kill the passing game if we had DT who could push back a guard or center into the QB. my 2 cents

i think maybe chester who is finally healthy could do that this year

I do like our defense and the potential it has to be great, however with this optimistic fantasy, I'd like to inject some reality.

Seau is a question mark in our scheme. We don't know how good/bad he may be in it. He is a very aggresive player...which doesn't translate well to his position in our current scheme.

There will have to be some give and take here from both sides.
Seau will have to be disciplined at times and play the scheme the way it is written up.
The coaching staff will have to insert a few wrinkles to allow Seau to roam and blow plays up.

What will be exciting is watching the evolution of our defensive playbook...to go from being plain vanilla to adding a few chocolate sprinkles.

Will Madison show up for every game with his A game? I hope so. Last year probably was his worst year as a CB....lets not forget about the controversy he started with Surtain. He has to show what we saw in his early years...a hunger for greatness.

Will T-Buck fall down? Oh, come on....don't tell me you dolfans have forgotten his fall down routine when he use to get burnt here a few years back.

Can Sammy run? Of course he can....the guy is a playmaker. However, he may push Freeman to be a better player than even he thought he was. This will be a must watch competition.

To put a spotlight on a less glorious facet of the team, will our special teams be significantly better? I hope so. Neglect in this area could lose a couple of games.

rgds!

Originally posted by JJ777
Tho I know out DL is predicated on stuffing the run and that responsibility falling mostly on the shoulders of our DT's...I would STILL like a DT who could penetrate a lil more, someone a lil quicker. I think we could have so many more sacks and totally kill the passing game if we had DT who could push back a guard or center into the QB. my 2 cents

So do I.....the problem is, they call those kinds of players "Warren Sapp".....or "extremely expensive". We have a plethora of talent across the board now and we have the defensive tackles we need to get the job done, if we had a tackle like you and I wish for, then someone else would have to go.

Now the question is, whose high salary would you cut to make room for one of these guys.....I don't think that I could make that decision....

For the record, I don't think that Larry Chester has ever been anything more than a run stopper, even when fully healthy.

Back
Top Bottom