Our Defensive Tackles/ Defensive Ends. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Defensive Tackles/ Defensive Ends.

Mitchy71

Saskatchewan PhinFan
Reaction score
I have noticed when people were talking about our past roster, and maybe new season lineup, there is a complete disagreement on our D-Line. Everyone is listing people as DT's that typically play DE. I know that the Big Sab wants to change up our defensive lineup to keep people guessing, but what is our starting lineup?

JT RE
Matt Roth RE???
Kevin Carter LE?????
Holliday LE??????
DT Chester
DT Holliday?????
DT Carter???
DT Zgonina
DT Bowens

Now everyone is talking about adding Traylor to the mix? Am I the only one thinking the fact that we seem pretty deep in this area now? Especially compared to last year? Even with JT Maybe lining up on the outside in a 3-4 alignment, I think this is more then enough depth at these three positions. And, again I repeat, what is going to be the probable starting lineup?

With Chester and Bowens having question marks...we don't have a big run stuffer. That's exactly what Traylor is. He would be a good signing. I'm not sure what the starting lineup will be.

The line is setup to where we can put alot of different packages on the field. We will likely end up with pure run stuffing, two-gap DTs in some combination of Chester, Bowens, and Traylor.

We've got several DE/DT tweener types in Vonnie Holliday, Kevin Carter, and somethingsomething Vickerson.

We've got a handful of smaller, speed rusher types in Jason Taylor, David Bowens, Matt Roth.

Here is what I think the base D will look like:

LDE- Kevin Carter(Alot of people have him at DT, but I like Holliday there better. Carter has better pass rushing moves, and is a better defender in space and pursuit then Holliday, whose pass rushing skills are mostly power).

NT- Some combination of Bowens, Chester, and Traylor, playing the A-Gaps or directly over Center.

UT/RDE in the 3-4- Vonnie Holliday

RDE/OLB- Jason Taylor

Carter and Holliday will probabaly end up playing the interior on passing downs/nickel packages, while an extra speed rusher type like David Bowens or Matt Roth would come in.

Also bear in mind that some of those players may line up as Linebackers in some of Sabans schemes. Further, out of Zgonina, Bowens, and Chester, I would guess that out of the three, only the healthiest one will remain.

I would personally love to see this line-up.

RE- Jason Taylor
DT- Keith Traylor (hoping we get him), TimBo
DT- Larry Chester, Vonnie Holliday (or possibily back up DE) Jeff Zgonina (possibily released)
LE- Kevin CArter

4-3
RE- JT, ROTH
DT- TRAYLOR, ZOGINA
DT- CARTER, CHESTER
LE- HOLLIDAY, D. BOWENS

3-4
RE-CARTER
DT-TRAYLOR
LE-HOLLIDAY

OLB-JT

Thats an incredible d-line, the QB's will need a quick release.

we will most likely get Traylor to help our DL, and we might get someone after June 1st (after we probably cut D. Bowens and Zgonina)

Right now we should focus on Traylor and/or a S. Traylor definatly makes our line better (plus gives us another vet to groom Vickerson), and a FS would really make our secondary potent (Everybody wants McQuarters, because of his speed and size he can more to FS).

Mitchy71 said:
I have noticed when people were talking about our past roster, and maybe new season lineup, there is a complete disagreement on our D-Line. Everyone is listing people as DT's that typically play DE. I know that the Big Sab wants to change up our defensive lineup to keep people guessing, but what is our starting lineup?

JT RE
Matt Roth RE???
Kevin Carter LE?????
Holliday LE??????
DT Chester
DT Holliday?????
DT Carter???
DT Zgonina
DT Bowens

Now everyone is talking about adding Traylor to the mix? Am I the only one thinking the fact that we seem pretty deep in this area now? Especially compared to last year? Even with JT Maybe lining up on the outside in a 3-4 alignment, I think this is more then enough depth at these three positions. And, again I repeat, what is going to be the probable starting lineup?
At the end of last season, the depth and quality of our d-line was a major concern. Saban has addressed a few of the positions, but I would not say we are out of the woods yet. In a 4-3, JT and Carter are the only players guaranteed of starting. TimBo was a monster when healthy, but I have a bad feeling his career is done. Chester is solid, but again, his injuries make him an unknown quantity at this time. Holliday was really an insurance pick-up. I see him more as a backup, but if he ever reaches his potential his value would increase significantly. Zgonina was ok last year, but he doesn't seem to fit into Saban's system. Same applies to D. Bowens. Roth could be a nice pass rusher, but it will take some time to develop. As it stands now, I think a backup NT/Dt would be a nice addition- Traylor would be a great fit. However, I think that a DT will be a priority in next year's draft. We need some youth at the position.

If we do sign Traylor(i hope), he will likely be in a 4 man rotation at DT. Chester,Bowens,Traylor and maybe Carter,Holliday and/or maybe Vickerson could be the 4th man.

i think we are going to be very VERY shifty

working something like this

4-3
RE- Taylor
RDT- CARTER
LDT- CHESTER
LE- HOLLIDAY

LBs
Seau
Zack
Spragen
LE-HOLLIDAY

LBs
OLB-JT
seau
Zack
spragen

the point is you dont know by the personell or even how they line up untill the last second if its a 4-3 or a 3-4
if it works realy well... everyone cheats over a bit and taylor back a step and they dont move at all they just play diferent responsibilities depending on a 3-4 or a 4-3 call....
good luck Afc East quarterbacks!!!!:evil:

Back
Top Bottom