Our Front Line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Front Line

Good Q. Dave will go with best 5. Based on play so far this year it could be:

1) Wade, Perry, Ruddy, Nails, Smith
2) Wade, Perry, Ruddy, McKinney, Smith
3) Wade, Perry, Ruddy, Nails, Dixon
4) Wade, Perry, Ruddy, McKinney, Dixon

Ideally, I would love to see Smith continue to improve and see Nails and Dixon totally healthy. In such a case you could have:

Wade, Nails, Ruddy, Dixon, Smith. But, this is very far-fetched.

I thought Perry was the weakest link the last two years, though he improved last year. Dixon is still the better OG and so is Nails, if they are healthy. But, those are big ifs!

You've got to add Konrad in there into consideration with it, too. Our O-line will most likely look better with a fullback who can block with a damn.

Originally posted by Hurricane495
Providing on the Play of Wade Smith when Mark Dixon comes back to the Lineup where would that leave Smith or Nails?

I'm not convinced Dixon will return to the starting lineup as LT when he's ready to return. He may return to the starting lineup as the starting LG. What I saw of Nails this last 2 week I know has me concerned. He is not the same OL as he was last year. He has lost a step as of right now.

I think Wade Smith may keep his LT starting spot, mainly because he is twice the LT Dixon ever was. If he starts to faulter then you can always return Dixon to the LT spot and insert Nails or McKinney at LG.

Oliver...

Originally posted by Disgustipate
You've got to add Konrad in there into consideration with it, too. Our O-line will most likely look better with a fullback who can block with a damn.

I'm worried about Rob. Will he be the same blocker, the same pass catching FB as he was with the small cast on his hand to protect his broken small finger?

Konrad is key to our rushing attack and until he can show he can be as good or near as good as before the inury everyone should be concerned.

Oliver...

Twice the left tackle???? Come on that's a huge reach, he's played LT in two preseason games and that means he's better than the O-lineman that helped ricky get 1,800 yds last year? He's just a rookie who looks like he might be a LT of the future.

Let's not send him to Canton yet.

Wasn't it Konrad's pinky that he injured? Was it a break or a fracture. By the start of the season, it'll have been 4 weeks he's had to heal. At least our first two games are against Houston and the Penningtonless Jests. Should give him time to heal.

Originally posted by JAGFISH
Twice the left tackle???? Come on that's a huge reach, he's played LT in two preseason games and that means he's better than the O-lineman that helped ricky get 1,800 yds last year? He's just a rookie who looks like he might be a LT of the future.

Let's not send him to Canton yet.

Twice the LT = HOF?

Interesting.

I think it's 100% accurate, Dixon is not a LT and never will be. All you have to do is watch him play at LT to know he's not comfortable out at LT. So yes even at this point Wade Smith IMO has played twice as good as Dixon ever did while he was at LT. Wade Smith actually looks comfortable, like he belongs there.

Oliver...

Originally posted by Oliver

I'm worried about Rob. Will he be the same blocker, the same pass catching FB as he was with the small cast on his hand to protect his broken small finger?

Konrad is key to our rushing attack and until he can show he can be as good or near as good as before the inury everyone should be concerned.

Oliver...

Just a pinky.

I disagree w/ that. Dixon played well regardless of where he felt more comfortable. I agree he's a great guard (when healthy) and only a good tackle. He is a better LT right now than W. Smith that's for sure. You only have to look at sacks allowed and our rushing totals to prove it. I think Smith will do fine but calling him twice as good as our best O-lineman is a little over zeolous , especially since he has never played a down in a real NFL game.
Ask Jay who he'd rather have watching his back. When healthy. gotta have the healthy Dixon.

Konrad should resume practicing within the week. I think he'll be fine. And I think he really matters alot to our offense. I think his pass catching ability is pretty much dismissable. It's not a big deal.

However, I think his blocking is very much so. I've never played football at any sort of meaningful level, but I would assume that the fullback would be a really key block. I mean, he sets it up after the play. Linemen usually pick up runblocks within the first few seconds if they're not pulling. Fullbacks get that extra second to make that key block on a linebacker in a hole.

Obafemi flat out cant block for crap.

Okay, so this idea may be a little far fetched. But considering the recent form of Tod Wade, perhaps it may be worth either:-

Playing Dixon at LT and Smith at RT or....

Smith at LT and Dixon at RT.

The former would provide a veteran starter at LT and still give the 'form man' Smith plenty of reps this year. He is playing so well that it would be a shame if he didn't get some playing time. After all, many, LTs play on the right side in their rookie year. It would also send a message to Wade, and reduce his stock for next year ( presuming that he could raise his game and he is still a FA.....we didn't resign him did we?).

Right now with the way Nails is playing I think I'd rather see Dixon or McKinney at RG and keep Wade Smith at LT. Dixon's pass blocking technique at LT is poor he doesn't extend his arms he tries to muscle the pass rusher. Wade Smiths pass blocking looks alot like Richmond Webbs. But Dixon is much better on running plays. Dixon had a very hard time pass blocking good DE's last year.I just wish Nails was playing like he was last year he was a machine. Physically he doesn't even look like the same person. He doesn't have the feet he had last year.

Originally posted by Hurricane495
Providing on the Play of Wade Smith when Mark Dixon comes back to the Lineup where would that leave Smith or Nails?

I don't think there is any question here as to what will happen.
Wade Smith is a rookie and shows promise but he's not going to plant Dixon on the bench or play well enough for the coaches to move Dixon back to guard. Watching Smith on running plays was absolutely scary. He needs to spend time in the weight room and to work on his run blocking technique. Improvement in that will not happen overnight. Dixon is a proven veteran and an animal in run blocking.

Dixon Starts at LT if healthy no question.

Originally posted by JAGFISH
I think Smith will do fine but calling him twice as good as our best O-lineman is a little over zeolous , especially since he has never played a down in a real NFL game.
Ask Jay who he'd rather have watching his back. When healthy. gotta have the healthy Dixon.

:jawdrop: Who said Wade Smith is twice as good as our best O-Lineman?

Back
Top Bottom