Our Season Hinges On.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Season Hinges On....

miamirw

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The OLine. That's a fact. Everyone knows it. If they come through this season, we will be Superbowl bound. If they fail, we will fail miserably. RB is secondary. With another free agent RB and Leonard Henry entering the mix at RB in the next couple of weeks, I believe we'll find someone who can step up in that role - be the every down back.

The Defense - let's face it - is going to be even better than last year. We're deeper at LB and in our secondary and that's going to pay huge dividends. The only chink in the armor here really is Tim Bowens' health. If healthy and in the middle for us, we're going to be tough to move the ball on. Antwan Edwards has proven he's an upgrade over Marion and Poole and Howard will make our Nickel package air tight.

It's all on the Oline. Taking a closer look at the group, we can really pin the question mark on two spots - LT and RG. Jeno James, Seth McKinney and John St. Clair are playing up to their starting positions. It's the other two spots that are having a little difficulty - Wade Smith and Taylor Whitley/Greg Jerman.

Wade Smith did a great job last year, but (through the first two preseason games) he's not getting the push he needs on that side and still shows a tendency to get beat by the speed rusher. His ability to improve from last year is perhaps the most important element on this line. If Smith can master the spot then the left side will become a comfort to us. Right now, it's tough to tell if he can and will improve.

Over at the right guard spot, we're in tough shape. Taylor Whitley has shown flashes (in practice apparently), but he needs to really step up big time for the offense to work. Opposing teams are going to send the MLB/OLB through his gap (outside shoulder) and he's got to chip him. Whitley (or whoever wins that job) has got to help out on the blitzes. That ability is going to be crucial in the coming weeks.

You have to believe that if a solid guard comes available in the first round of cuts next week, we'll bring him in. I wouldn't mind plugging a veteran in that spot to start the season while Whitley and Jerman figure it out.

The good news is, the guys have the talent. It's the mental toughness that we're looking for now. Either you have it or you don't. It's time for Smith and Whitley to step up. Shed the "rookie" mindset and go knock some people out.

Jeno James needs to share a little of his nastiness with those two guys in particular. Seth McKnney's got it already.

Wildcards:

1. Damien McIntosh. This guy is going to crack the starting lineup in a few weeks. Guaranteed. He's too good - played LT on the line that opened holes for Ladanian Tomlinson last year. He's an excellent run blocker and obviously a polished pass blocker. Maybe we move Smith back to the right side and stick DMac at LT.

2. Vernon Carey. Looks like his road is through St. Clair at RT. The fact that St. Clair is starting is not necessarily indicative of poor play by Carey but rather surprisingly good play from St. Clair. With McIntosh and Carey we have good depth at the tackles.

We need one more veteran guard. I'd like someone with a chip on their shoulder. A Jamie-Nails-two-years-ago type. And we need them signed by next week.

To me that's far more important than the RB signing.

miamirw said:
The OLine. That's a fact. Everyone knows it. If they come through this season, we will be Superbowl bound. If they fail, we will fail miserably. RB is secondary. With another free agent RB and Leonard Henry entering the mix at RB in the next couple of weeks, I believe we'll find someone who can step up in that role - be the every down back.

The Defense - let's face it - is going to be even better than last year. We're deeper at LB and in our secondary and that's going to pay huge dividends. The only chink in the armor here really is Tim Bowens' health. If healthy and in the middle for us, we're going to be tough to move the ball on. Antwan Edwards has proven he's an upgrade over Marion and Poole and Howard will make our Nickel package air tight.

It's all on the Oline. Taking a closer look at the group, we can really pin the question mark on two spots - LT and RG. Jeno James, Seth McKinney and John St. Clair are playing up to their starting positions. It's the other two spots that are having a little difficulty - Wade Smith and Taylor Whitley/Greg Jerman.

Wade Smith did a great job last year, but (through the first two preseason games) he's not getting the push he needs on that side and still shows a tendency to get beat by the speed rusher. His ability to improve from last year is perhaps the most important element on this line. If Smith can master the spot then the left side will become a comfort to us. Right now, it's tough to tell if he can and will improve.

Over at the right guard spot, we're in tough shape. Taylor Whitley has shown flashes (in practice apparently), but he needs to really step up big time for the offense to work. Opposing teams are going to send the MLB/OLB through his gap (outside shoulder) and he's got to chip him. Whitley (or whoever wins that job) has got to help out on the blitzes. That ability is going to be crucial in the coming weeks.

You have to believe that if a solid guard comes available in the first round of cuts next week, we'll bring him in. I wouldn't mind plugging a veteran in that spot to start the season while Whitley and Jerman figure it out.

The good news is, the guys have the talent. It's the mental toughness that we're looking for now. Either you have it or you don't. It's time for Smith and Whitley to step up. Shed the "rookie" mindset and go knock some people out.

Jeno James needs to share a little of his nastiness with those two guys in particular. Seth McKnney's got it already.

Wildcards:

1. Damien McIntosh. This guy is going to crack the starting lineup in a few weeks. Guaranteed. He's too good - played LT on the line that opened holes for Ladanian Tomlinson last year. He's an excellent run blocker and obviously a polished pass blocker. Maybe we move Smith back to the right side and stick DMac at LT.

2. Vernon Carey. Looks like his road is through St. Clair at RT. The fact that St. Clair is starting is not necessarily indicative of poor play by Carey but rather surprisingly good play from St. Clair. With McIntosh and Carey we have good depth at the tackles.

We need one more veteran guard. I'd like someone with a chip on their shoulder. A Jamie-Nails-two-years-ago type. And we need them signed by next week.

To me that's far more important than the RB signing.

Good post and apparently Miami agrees, this week St. Clair will get reps at the LT with Carey manning the RT with the 1st unit. McIntosh will start practicing next week and thinks he will be ready for the first game. I posted the source for this on the wade is the reason thread.

Back
Top Bottom