Our team's direction for the future | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our team's direction for the future

FakeSpike13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I want to start off by saying that I admire the job Spielman is doing right now(giving him a 7.5 out of a possible 10). He's made a lot of sensible pick-ups that are of the low-risk, high-reward type(David Boston, Antuan Edwards, and Mcintosh) while avoiding mortgaging the team's future for guys like Tait and resigning Ogunleye. Feeley and James are the exceptions to this, although for James we badly needed O-line help, and for Feeley I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. They did their homework and they targeted this guy as soon as we couldn't get Ramsey. He's our biggest question going into the season, but you have to take some risks if you want to have the chance of enjoying great reward.

About the draft:
I think it's obvious now that we either overrate Ogunleye, or that teams are scared of the "JT factor". That being said I would love to get 2 2nd rder's for him. NE is the only team that can do this for us, and trading a young possible star within the division is a no-no. Based on a few articles I've read(especially the HErald's J.J. Plan), and that tedious draft special by Spielman yesterday, I'm convinced we're drafting defense this draft. This is absolutely the right move. The scales are slowly tilting towards the offense in terms of raw, young talent. In two years, we may be the complete opposite in terms of team-makeup, being offensively dominant and defensively challenged. That being said, we follow that "J.J. Plan", and draft defense for the most part, and not an OL or a stud Wr that you all desire. I personally love Sean Jones, safety from Georgia. He's the next Ed Reed. But the Fins also like Schweigert at the safety position. LB should be seriously considered, but IF and only IF we have it pre-determined that if we drafted D.J. Williams or Karlos Dansby, he would replace Greenwood this year. A Young CB is an option since Madison is overrated, we might not sign Buckley and Surtain is injury-prone, but not in Rd. 1 since we just signed howard. And don't forget about DT, since T-Bo is getting old. We go mainly defense this draft, except for maybe taking a shot on one o-lineman(the guy reccommended by Chan Gailey?). Get used to this idea, so you won't B*tch next saturday! We need a youth infusion on the D!

Solid post, i agree we should draft young d.

But not with our first pick, i feel the first pick should be used to make our o-line more complete for the season opener. This will also help us in the future.

The better the o-line the longer ricky can last.

Look forward to a beast with the first, imo.

I like both points of view and you'll see on my mock that I have us taking some defence, a DT and 2 LB's but I have us going WR and o-line with our first 2 picks.I agree that our offence is younegr now and we need to start getting younger on defence next. I start with a little this year and we can do the rest next year but this year we can use o-line help and a great Wr and that's why I have us taking Evans.

Ozzy rules!!

From what RS said in his pre-draft preview, he seems to think that we have the core of players to have a solid OL, so it is my opinion that we will not go OL in the first, with the exception of Andrews falling to us at 20. I don't know if Lee Evans is what he's thinking either, my guess at 20 we see who's left, if these any of these players are there then he will use that pick on them (Reggie Williams, Jonathan Vilma, Randy Starks, or Vince Wilfork). This is just my opinion from what RS said, so don't go bashing me. I really think Rick will look to see which top 10 talent would fall to 20 because of the depth of this draft and select the BPA.

Please,let's start drafting offense.If we go defense again or do something stupid like RB(Bills & Chiefs last year)I'll be pissed.

Originally posted by caneproud117
From what RS said in his pre-draft preview, he seems to think that we have the core of players to have a solid OL, so it is my opinion that we will not go OL in the first, with the exception of Andrews falling to us at 20. I don't know if Lee Evans is what he's thinking either, my guess at 20 we see who's left, if these any of these players are there then he will use that pick on them (Reggie Williams, Jonathan Vilma, Randy Starks, or Vince Wilfork). This is just my opinion from what RS said, so don't go bashing me. I really think Rick will look to see which top 10 talent would fall to 20 because of the depth of this draft and select the BPA.
Other than Vilma I love to have those other 3 guys but I think they'll be gone. I think that Evans would be a better fit for us that Reggie tho as we can realy use that speed on the slot but that's just my opinion. I trust Rick.

Ozzy rules!!

Junior, its obvious you need to look at the big picture, and every1 seems to agree we need to start drafting young thumpers like a DJ williams or a Sean Jones, or Igor Olshansky. In addition, you can't compare us drafting defense to the Bills drafting Mcgahee, because Mcgahee was guaranteed not to play at least 10 games...

Anyway you look at it, someone good is going to fall to us, be it Andrews, Reggie, Vilma, Wilfork, Starks, Rivers, Hall (Returning Purposes). There's just so much talent in the first round, not everyone can be taken by 20.

But you have to prioritize this talent based on your draft board and your needs...

"every1 seems to agree we need to start drafting young thumpers like a DJ williams or a Sean Jones, or Igor Olshansky."

Except Rick, who specifically stated that they have broken down O-Line/WR/DB. He went through pains to praise the DT's and DE's that were picked up last year and the 2nd and 3rd year O-Line guys. He didn't come out and say it, but he took the horse to water- WR at #20- now he's just waiting for it to drink.

and how many of you out there think he's going to come out in public and actually hint to what we're doing in the draft. Spielman pulled a CYA with the Whitley comment because DW blew that with a 3rd rd waste. And its easy to praise our DT's, they did well last year. But that still has nothing to do with that fact that T-bo is old, and that our DT's are weak at getting significant push up the middle in the pocket...

i would take what spielman said with a grain of salt. " were not intreseted in Boston." or something to that affect is what he said before we made the deal.

Originally posted by FakeSpike13
and how many of you out there think he's going to come out in public and actually hint to what we're doing in the draft. Spielman pulled a CYA with the Whitley comment because DW blew that with a 3rd rd waste. And its easy to praise our DT's, they did well last year. But that still has nothing to do with that fact that T-bo is old, and that our DT's are weak at getting significant push up the middle in the pocket...

Is it really that big of a secret? Is the poorest receiving corp in the league list hidden in a box, stuffed in a file cabinet and buried in the dirt at Lambeau field? Miami got Boston (which the team *hopes* regains his earlier form because he will be reunited with his old coach). Come on. When did Chambers go to the pro bowl? Or anyone else on Miami's OFFENSE? You are making jokes about Whitley and Jerman but Spielman has never said anything against the young talent we have on O-Line, it's only wannabe GM's like yourself that love the team but don't know much else about talent.

Miami's DT's are O-Line gobblers, they don't get "push", they swallow the O-Line and let the LB's get the praise (well, Zach anyway)- that is well known, and has been their responsibility since Jimmy was coach.

I applaud your enthusiasm for the team, and desire to fix their wrongs. Differing opinions lead to heated discussions, which are probably best left to lie.

Back
Top Bottom