Our WR Position | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our WR Position

Chubby

SUPERFAN
Reaction score
Everyone including myself always make a big deal about our 4th and 5th wr in the Rotation. But it seams every year only the starting two wr's get any true playing time and the 3rd wr might see about 5% of the catches thrown from our QB. SO I can honestly say I am pretty happy with Chambers and DT starting and JM backing up. Its seems we might actually have some speed this year with OG Out of the way for now.

Yes but OG will make this team. McKnight is a good slot WR, he has speed and has an advantage on most NBs in the NFL.

OG will make the Team But he wont see much action. Maybe as a decoy in Short Yardage situation to free up the TE or another WR

I prefer he doesnt make the team. But they wont cut him. The FO is not going to leave our BACKUPS WR To Rookies and Unproven talent they will keep him on the team just cause of his past experience. ANd McKnight Will definately be the #3

The ball can only go to so many players during a game. Ricky will definitely be getting 25+ carries a game, and (hopefully) our passing game won't be used to win games for us. Chambers, Thompson, and McKnight are all capable of making big plays for us, and don't forget Konrad and McMichael either. Our 4th wide receiver will hardly be used at all, so I don't think it's worth making an issue out of something so insignifigant.

My point exact. I mean Its fun to watch these young Fast wr fighting out in camp but Its time to come to realization. We wont see any of them make a big impact in a game this year or next unless its on ST'S.

We always stick to our Format regardless of who we have playing,besided Ricky will be seing alot of balls thrown his way also this year.

Personally, I just hope Oronde says enough is enough and walks away. He is a limb that is rapidly being consumed by infection. As hard as it may be, sooner or later, that limb needs to be severed for the long term health of the Dolphin body. Fortunately, in this analogy, the Phins have replacement limbs at their disposable.

As for the recievers, if Simmons keeps up his recent form, he could well see the most time of any reciever not named Cris Chambers or Derrius Thompson. Although Simmons may be behind McKinght on the depth chart, the offense IMHO, would be better served with a 3 reciever set of Chambers, Thompson and Simmons. Should one of the starting two get hurt, then McKnight would, and indeed should be the starter.

It all comes down to a players' strengths. At this stage, the best third WR (mainly in slot) is Sam Simmons. Meanwhile, Mcknight still holds the credentials over Simmons, should a starting replacement become necessary.

I'm not worried about the 4 WR set...I'm worried about depth in case of injury. No need to go through the litany of recent Dolphin WR injuries, but suffice it to say that just this Training Camp alone we've seen Chambers pull his hammy and Gadsden dislocate his ankle. I agree we should be fine with Chambers & Thompson as our starters and McKnight as the 3rd WR. However, we need quality depth should any of those 3 go down with an injury. The emergence of Simmons as a viable replacement for McKnight is hopeful. And I think that the 5th WR position will come down to Tolver vs. Gadsden, with the Tolver making the squad if he can convince the coaches that he will be ready to step right in should he be needed. If the CS has any doubts, look for Tolver to go to the PS and Gadsden be the 5th WR.

Originally posted by Kamikaze

Formerly known as chicagodophan

So, shall I fill this space with non offensive quotes?

kamikaze!!

Welcome back, fellow Fin fan. Damned good to see you, and I must say, you're looking dapper.;)

Check out clump's siggy. You'll be glad to see that he's been filling in for you admirably (even though in this case he's making an assertion he's been unable to defend). But let's not go there.:)

Seriously... good to see you back.

Originally posted by Prime Time
Yes but OG will make this team.

Yeah right. Simmons looks like a lock, & would you cut Tolver for Gadsden? No way in hell. Look for Gadsden to sign an injury-settlement, or be axed! He's just gonna come back & get hurt again.. complete waste of time.

Nail on the head chubby. You wanna know what the 3rd WR does in Norv's offense, take a look at Dedric Ward's statistics. He functioned as our 3rd WR while Oronde was healthy, and he functioned as our 3rd WR when James McKnight was forced into the starting position. It would be folly to just rank the production of the top 3 receivers, and look at the third leading producer.

Third WR was Dedric Ward, pretty much the whole year long. Take a look at his numbers.

Now keep in mind that Norv Turner said he went to 3 and 4 WR formations more than he probably ever has since he's been in the NFL.

Yowch. James McKnight, once again, is there for injury insurance. And IMO, Sam Simmons will be one WR used when we do go to a 3 or 4 WR formation...he'll line up in the slot, and he'll be used like Dedric Ward or OJ McDuffie. And when that is not happening I suppose Derrius and J-Mac will man the outside spots and Chambers will move into the slot to try and get mismatches and maybe have Chambers run some more fly routes.

CK Lining up Chambers in the slot in a 3 or 4 wr formation would be a very interesting Formation Who Would get the double coverage Chambers inside or Mcknight in the outside, or the TE coming off the block! Hmmm(Let me think of this for awhile)

Originally posted by Phan4Ever

kamikaze!!

Welcome back, fellow Fin fan. Damned good to see you, and I must say, you're looking dapper.;)

Check out clump's siggy. You'll be glad to see that he's been filling in for you admirably (even though in this case he's making an assertion he's been unable to defend). But let's not go there.:)

Seriously... good to see you back.

I'm alright! I didn't want to make a big fuss with some "I'm back, fear my liberalness." post, so I just went right back to talking Dolphins football. Let's hope the season goes well.

Back
Top Bottom