Outside Opinions | History of Randy Mueller | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Outside Opinions | History of Randy Mueller

MDFINFAN said:
Good read MucK, I'm still not sold on Muller, but he's here now, and I'll support him.

That's pretty much how I feel. Saban gets a free pass with what he has done so far, time will tell if this was the right move.

Wasn't Mueller offered this same job last year? I couldn't believe my eyes this morning. This is big.

Dolfan73 said:
Wasn't Mueller offered this same job last year? I couldn't believe my eyes this morning. This is big.

He interviewed for it but wasn't offered it.

I'll give you an example which may help explain why Mueller was fired.

Before the 2002 draft, when he decided to pursue Charles Grant with the first round pick we got from you all in the Ricky trade, he convinced Benson he needed one more trip up to Georgia to meet with Charles. Benson approved the trip, no questions asked, and of course everything was paid for with team money. Turns out Mueller attended Masters events in Augusta---on Benson's dime---without informing Benson.

That's one example...he did that sort of thing often. Another was his purchase---again with team money and without permission---of security monitors, which he placed in the coaches' meeting rooms, and which he used to "spy" on them. (I'm being entirely serious.)

Yet another incident was his insistence upon interviewing with our most hated rival, the Atlanta Falcons, multiple times. Benson gave permission, but Mueller continued to work with the Falcons beyond what Benson understood as their agreement.

When you add events like this to the simple fact that, after 2000, Randy Mueller's major free agency aquisitions were simply horrendous---then his firing is no mystery.

Want to know what those signings were?

WR Albert Connell - Given a big contract to complement Joe Horn, he was beat out by journeyman Willie Jackson at receiver and was a major locker room problem, just as Mueller's NFL contacts had warned (warnings he brushed aside). He stole money from Deuce McAllister, and was a major factor in the team's utter collapse at the end of the season.

Other moves included trading 2000 fifth round pick Chad Morton, who led all rookie return men that year and caught 30 passes, for a sixth round pick who did not make the team, and a cornerback named Earthwind Moreland who also was cut after camp and dind't even merit a practice squad spot. Mueller replaced Morton with an undrafted free agent named James Fenderson, who is now out of the NFL.

Before his firing, Mueller signed the following...

CB Dale Carter - Between injuries and suspensions, he hardly touched the field. Was nailed for gambling in the locker room with younger players.

TE David Sloan - Built up by Mueller to be the answers to all our tight end woes, Sloan dropped as many passes as he caught during his Saints tenure, got hurt, and was gone a year later.

RT Victor Riley - He spent the entire 2002 season on the bench, fat and lazy. He played a bit in 2003, and started throughout 2004, where he was a horrible liability on our offensive line, unable to pass block. It was not unusual to see Aaron Brooks roll immediately to his left after the snap to buy some more time, as he knew Riley's man would usually be coming very, very quickly. Beyond his pass blocking woes, Riley led the team in pre-snap penalties, and remained out of shape. We drafted right tackle Jammal Brown in the first round this year to replace him.

DT Grady Jackson - He started for much of 2002, played well through the first half of the season, and then was invisible. He was cut halfway through the 2003 season after missing many meetings and remaining so out of shape he couldn't play more than a couple dozen snaps a game.

Other assorted moves included trading all-pro, future Hall of Fame tackle Willie Roaf to the Chiefs for a second-day pick. In KC, Roaf has continued his HOF ways.

Mueller made some good moves---mainly in 2000, with the signing of Joe Horn and the trade for Aaron Brooks---and had a few decent draft picks, such as Darren Howard, LeCharles Bentley and Charles Grant. But his negatives FAR outweigh his positives, and unless he has undergone some sort of brain transplant, his domineering, micromanaging personality will conflict with Saban, who is a Type A micromanager himself.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=81611&page=2

Gotta take the bad with the good.

I hate this guy mueller all I have ever heard come out of his mouth is anti dolphins stuff and he has made me sick for it now that he on th epayroll he will talk everything up to be great when he is a halfwit that has been out of football for a long time as far as gm's go! If you like him thats fine but anyone who ever read one of his espn chats knows that he has always trash talked the fins!

Honestly I was hoping they would get Licht, But Muller is good too, he has done a good job, and I hope he will do so for this team.

Dolfan73 said:

He wanted the job and interviewed for it, but reports were that his personality created some conflicts. He was passed over for the position.

I didnt realize that Mueller was the GM in Seattle that traded Mirer to Wanny in Chicago. That makes twice that Mueller spanked the Dave and Rick show. Somebody needs to make sure Mueller understands that he isnt allowed to orchestrate trades with the University of Pittsburgh. :lol:

1997 was an even bigger year for Mueller and the Seahawks as Mueller engineered the trade that sent washout former #1 pick QB Rick Mirer to Chicago. Mueller was able to hoodwink the Bears into parting with the 11th overall pick in the draft for the erratic Mirer, whom he and Erickson had inherited from the disastrous Tom Flores regime and who they knew would never be anything but a back-up.

Wow...this guy is guilty of selling Dave Wannstedt a bag of crap for a bag of gold not once, but TWICE.

No wonder they didn't hire him to be the GM and work with Dave Wannstedt last offseason. Dave probably hates this guy lol.

Obidan said:
As a Saints fan, I guess I am an outside source. I think you guys will like Mueller a lot. If he is given free rein from Saban to talk in public, you will find Randy to be very outspoken and personable. He is very knowledgeable and I think a very good evaluator of talent. He made a few mistakes in N.O. (Albert Connell & Dale Carter), but on the whole was a very good GM. His drafting of Deuce McAllister and trading of Ricky Williams turned out to be a very smart move. I know that Saban has fianl say on personnel, but I think Mueller can work with him and get him the type of players he's looking for.
Good post, thank you for sharing.

Anyone who prioritizes attending Masters functions is a phenomenal handicapper. Plus you've got to have connections because those are the toughest tickets in sports. Big stuff in Mueller's favor.

I have no idea why everyone is shocked we got him. Saban's media blockade has already been responsible for the non-leaked Will Poole injury news almost a week later, Spielman's ousting without any rumor it was immediately imminent, and now this. In Dolphinland we now know far less than we think we do, every aspect and every day.

Mueller is a guy who will take some risks in the free agent market...and he will miss on some of them...But for every Dale Carter there's a Fred Thomas...For every Albert Connell there's a Joe Horn. He will miss on some big signings but he will sign some players out of nowhere as well. He will also make good trades..like trading mirer for a first, ricky for two firsts, and trading a 3rd for brooks. He has a very good eye for talent at the quarterback position. When he took over the saints, quarterback was easily their weakest position. A few months later the saints 2000 quarterback depth chart in training camp looked like this: Jeff Blake, Aaron Brooks, Jake Delhomme, Marc Bulger....not bad.

I would also like to add that in the post from another thread about his bad moves...Willie Roaf was traded for a 3rd round pick...not a 2nd day pick and there were a bunch of factors that went into that. First they had Turley who wanted to play LT...and wanted LT money. Roaf also had an injury at the time that was potentially career threatening....obviously he recovered from that..but KC was taking a risk trading for him. I saw him that summer and he was hunched over pretty bad. Not to mention there were some problems between Roaf and Horn and one of the two was going to have to go.

Mueller is a quality GM. I don't think he ever should've been fired and I wish he were still with the saints. I think most saints fans feel that way.

I was in slight error---the pick was a conditional fourth rounder that escalated to a third when Roaf played most of the season.

Mueller is a guy who will take some risks in the free agent market...and he will miss on some of them...But for every Dale Carter there's a Fred Thomas...For every Albert Connell there's a Joe Horn. He will miss on some big signings but he will sign some players out of nowhere as well.

Haven't you noticed something about Mueller's signings? Almost all of the very good ones were made during the span of a few months in the year 2000. Afterwards, pickings were very, very slim, with only the 2002 draft a shining light in the darkness.

Mueller is a quality GM. I don't think he ever should've been fired and I wish he were still with the saints. I think most saints fans feel that way.

I agree that most Saints fans feel this way---Mueller was a master PR man, and developed excellent contacts to spread his version of events through the media. He was also involved with our only playoff victory, and was gone before the failures of 2001 stretched into the failures of 2002, 2003 and 2004 as well.

Back
Top Bottom