Overtime Rules | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overtime Rules

The NFL should adopt NCAA style overtime rules. Or maybe just have a full 15 minute quarter; if the game is still tied after the 15 minute quarter ends, you get another 15 minutes.

The argument "you can play defense in overtime to stop the team that gets the ball first" no longer holds any merit whatsoever in my eyes. The NFL has made it nearly impossible to play defense with the rulebook in 2019. If you want a game that's heavily biased in favor of the offense because it results in more money for the league, then fine. But stop pretending that sudden death overtime with ball possession decided by a coin flip is a fair way to handle things now.

I agree wi
The NFL should adopt NCAA style overtime rules. Or maybe just have a full 15 minute quarter; if the game is still tied after the 15 minute quarter ends, you get another 15 minutes.

The argument "you can play defense in overtime to stop the team that gets the ball first" no longer holds any merit whatsoever in my eyes. The NFL has made it nearly impossible to play defense with the rulebook in 2019. If you want a game that's heavily biased in favor of the offense because it results in more money for the league, then fine. But stop pretending that sudden death overtime with ball possession decided by a coin flip is a fair way to handle things now.
I agree with the 15 minutes, but unless it's a playoff game you shouldn't have to do more than one 15 minute quarter.

Yeah i pretty much agree with everything you say. Digital brought up some good points about that extra playing time and the abuse on the players bodies which is really something selfishly i didn't consider.

With that being said im not exactly sure what the correct solution to this would be but it certainly does need to be addressed. Just like when they changed the rules to make it so a FG didn't end the game either something has to change imo

I think you could do a full 15 minute quarter in the playoffs only. I would remove the coin toss. just continue the 4th quarter into the OT like its not a new half. no more timeouts. possessions stays the same. so you couldn't take a knee to get to OT because it would waste a down. you would just keep playing.

This takes the chaos out of OT.

Yeah i pretty much agree with everything you say. Digital brought up some good points about that extra playing time and the abuse on the players bodies which is really something selfishly i didn't consider.

With that being said im not exactly sure what the correct solution to this would be but it certainly does need to be addressed. Just like when they changed the rules to make it so a FG didn't end the game either something has to change imo

You could help the defense by making it 3 downs like Canadian football.

Back
Top Bottom