Owens breaks right ring finger | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Owens breaks right ring finger

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Terrell Owens will miss from two to four weeks after breaking a finger Sunday night in the Dallas Cowboys' 27-10 victory over Washington.

The controversial wide receiver broke his right ring finger and will need surgery; he said it'd be Monday, but the team said it also could be Tuesday.

The Cowboys have a bye next week.

Owens said he was hurt on the first or second play of the game, but didn't tell anybody until the fourth quarter. He said it was a "fluke thing" and occurred when he was blocking.

"I think my hand got caught on a guy's jersey or something. I kind of felt something weird with it," Owens said. "I just kind of felt like I jammed it. I kept playing."

Owens, who missed much of training camp and the preseason because of a hamstring injury after signing a three-year, $25 million deal that includes a $5 million bonus and a $5 million salary in 2006, struggled against the Redskins.

Owens flubbed a pass in the end zone on the opening drive -- the first of three drops. By game's end, he was getting his hand X-rayed, his stats sealed at three catches for 19 yards.

While Owens wasn't sure when he got hurt, he drew a personal foul penalty on the Cowboys' first offensive snap of the game for an illegal block.
On the dropped touchdown, Owens said he was trying to gather in the ball when cornerback Mike Rumph knocked the ball away.

"I didn't really have my full strength in my hand, so I think that probably may have contributed with him punching it out," Owens said.

The X-rays revealed the break. His right hand was partially wrapped after the game.

"I feel like I'm a quick healer," Owens said. "Once we have the surgery, the healing process will start. ... I'm going to try to get back as soon as I can."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/18/owens.injury.ap/index.html

2-4 weeks! SON OF A *****. I knew it was a mistake drafting him!

Parcells says T.O. may not miss any games

Thanks to the timing of the bye week, Terrell Owens might not miss any games because of his broken hand.

Owens broke the bone leading to his right ring finger Sunday night and had a plate surgically attached to it Monday. Although Owens’ hand was swollen and aching Wednesday, Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said he’s optimistic the receiver will be back at work next week and catching passes a week from Sunday against Tennessee.

“I certainly wouldn’t rule it out now,†Parcells said. “Maybe five days from now I might, but I wouldn’t rule it out now. ... I know we’re looking to try to get him moving around pretty good in the next day or so. So we’ll see where we are.â€Â

Owens did not speak with reporters Wednesday, but said Sunday he’d be out two to four weeks. A return against the Titans would be 13 days after the surgery.

Emmitt Smith had the same procedure done to the same bone on the same hand in 1999. He played 12 days later, missing one game because the Cowboys’ bye didn’t happen to fall in between. Of course, Smith had it easier because he carried the ball instead of having to catch it, and he favored his left hand anyway.

Another potential factor could be how much the Cowboys (1-1) feel they need Owens to beat the Titans (0-2). Having Owens would certainly help, but not if it might compromise his chances of playing the following weeks.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14927779/from/RS.1/

Back
Top Bottom