Ozzy's camp report for tuesday | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ozzy's camp report for tuesday

Ozzy

Premium Member
Reaction score
What's up DolFans,

I got a chance to head up and catch practice today, and I'm kinda glad I did! It was a much better practice than yesterdays. Even though it rained for a minute, it ended up being a nice hot day.

I just have to put in my disclaimer, because even yesterday, someone had to comment on it being ONLY a mini camp! Yes, folks it's only a mini camp, no pads no hard hits, no no no! Don't take too much into thinking player A is dropping to many balls and should get cut. But get excited if you want too, that's OK. Just don't get too excited please.

Anyway on to the Qb's:

Both Qb's had much much better days today, each with a little more time, and some open Wr's to throw at.

Jay started off right away hitting Chambers on that dreaded quick out. The he comes back and throws a long floater. Thompson had Madison literally all over him, with Sam grabbing his shirt sleeve to try and keep him from the ball. Thompson dragged Madison a few feet then he finally let go. Thompson made an adjustment on the ball, and the ball hit him right on the money. Jay's passes were much better than yesterday, with more zip, and better accuracy. He did throw a 55 yard hail Mary, fluttering, wounded duck pass that fell harmlessly to the ground, in which IMO, he should have never thrown. He was off and on with the shorter passes but like I said, throwing with a lot better zip.

Griese, well, I was one that just did not want the controversy thing, but he seems to be handling it pretty well, being the backup. He, IMO, does not have as strong an arm as Jay, but this could be because he has not thrown in a while. What he does is throw a nice pass. He hit Thompson on a perfect, and I mean perfect pass 20-25 yards down field. Right between three defenders, One of which never saw the ball. That ball was on the money, in stride! Then he got baited by Hendrix, who played off the receiver a couple of feet, and just stepped into the route, and had the ball hit him right in the chest. And dropped it. He then again, had Jamar Fletcher pick him off on a deeper pass. A real nice play by Fletcher, who seems to know he is walking a tight rope.

Sage got some work yesterday but today he did not get a chance.

Fodder tossed the balls to the Center. ;)

Next Up the Wr's:

Good to see Chris Chambers back today, it makes Jay look better. Jay hit him four or five times on out patterns, all timed nicely.

Darrius Thompson had a very nice practice. He must have caught 8 balls, one being the play I mentioned above, and another being a nice grab on a Jay Fiedler fade to the corner of the EndZone, OG's old bread and butter play. Darrius fought for position, and tiptoed the line with a nice grab.

Tolver caught a few passes but nothing acrobatic, he still runs nice crisp routes.

Hooks got some balls thrown his way, and dropped one easy one.

Simmons also missed an easy pass from Griese

Battaglia also dropped one, for once. A play that had the defender right on his backside.

I'm wondering if McKnight even lined up today, because after practice I had to think back, and did not remember seeing him catch one ball! He was there I know that, and dressed...

Bellamy was being used a lot in the slot, having him run that dreaded out pattern a lot.

McMike was being used a lot on the over the middle patterns, nothing spectacular, but did catch a few.

Donald Lee caught one ball that I saw.

Now the Rb's:

They did not run much today, a few too RW's, but a lot more too Charlie Rogers, who on one run made a nice shifty cutback, in which only one player touched him. A possible TD, but I'm not 100% sure they gave it too him>? He also was used by Griese a lot, He caught on coming out of the backfield and went untouched for a score, right after the first possible TD. He was being used as the outlet receiver from the halfback position. Griese must have went to Rogers 5 times in a row, all capitalized on by him for decent gains, and two TD's. But IMO he is still way too small for a Rb. I did mean to comment on him yesterday when he was returning punts. He looks so natural, making good gains......again with no hitting, but looked comfortable.

Ricky Williams is very noticeably faster than last year, and looks more built! Is that possible? He outran Madison with his speed, by slightly coming back toward the LOS after that catch that had Sam reaching out and touching nothing, all the way towards the sidelines. he was called down though because Freeman came in and saved a TD. RW's also made a kick azz diving catch from Jay, he totally laid out for the ball and showed some soft hands, while hitting the ground pretty hard. I wish he would not do that though. It's a good way to separate a shoulder with no pads on. They used Ricky the last two days a heck of a lot on passes, and he is not dropping any!

Travis minor was used as the backup to Ricky and did nothing today. Sorry....

It was again real nice to see Jammie Nails working with the starters on the line. He looks to be right on schedule for training camp. As a matter of fact he is moving pretty darn good.

Now Todd Perry made a perfect block to free Ricky on one of his first runs, which went for nearly 20 yards. He rolled out from the line perfectly and just stepped in front of the defender, instead of killing him. that play is one that you have to see to appreciate. The timing of the block was right on.

The offense did some two minute drills with both Jay and Brian moving the ball OK, but coming up short.

The Redzone offense was much better, with I believe, Griese coming up with 3 passing Td's, and Jay getting 2, don't hold me to it but I think this is right.

OK that's some offense for now, I have to feed some animals and take me a badly needed nap. I'll do some defense and answer any questions in a little while.

Thanks Ozzy, really appreciate the first hand reports from mini camps, not being able to be there myself. Lucky dog.

Good report Ozzy you F***face. lol Couldn't resist it from American Pie one.

Thanks Ozzy.

I agree Rogers is small, but I could definately see him as a 3rd down scat back like in the Dave Meggett style on obvious passing downs.
Certainly not an every down back or b/u to RW, but for screens, draws and maybe some slot work on 3rd down... I hope he makes the team and he gets a few special plays in the book, besides the p/r & k/r stuff!

Charles Rogers looks good now.... but.... :( I know from experience he underachieves on the field.

Originally posted by Dude
Thanks Ozzy.

I agree Rogers is small, but I could definately see him as a 3rd down scat back like in the Dave Meggett style on obvious passing downs.
Certainly not an every down back or b/u to RW, but for screens, draws and maybe some slot work on 3rd down... I hope he makes the team and he gets a few special plays in the book, besides the p/r & k/r stuff!

There is no doubt we will see this in the preseason, lets see how he takes a hit. He is a small, very small guy to be running thru the D-lines. Muck stated on another thread that Rogers expects to play around 183, which is better than 178-9 pounds.

It is going to be hard to get rid of Minor, Edwards, and Henry, for him IMO, but he sure is a lightning bolt, with good moves, probably a little better version of John Avery.

One thing is I hope he does great or gets beat out, but only clearly, by one of the other return men. If he wins a spot (which most likely will happen) then we have a player that upgrades the return game. If he gets beat out then we have further upgraded a position we thought was an upgrade by signing him......

Man can I babble or what?

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by MOULDSROCKS
Charles Rogers looks good now.... but.... :( I know from experience he underachieves on the field.

Come on man, we know from experience that you have yet to achieve at anything, except the blah blah blah.....

:sleep:

Mouldsy, players that end up here from other teams are so happy to be here that they excel.

Back
Top Bottom