Parcells previous drafts and upcoming year | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Parcells previous drafts and upcoming year

normaniii

Active Roster
Reaction score
I found interesting article on the impact Parcells left in Dallas due to draft and FA acquisitions:-

Terence Newman, Jason Witten,Bradie James,Pat Crayton.DeMarcus Ware, Marcus Spears, Marion Barber, Jay Ratliff.Bobby Carpenter, Jason Hatcher, Pat Watkins, Pat McQuistan, Kevin Burnet, Tony Romo, Miles Austin, Stephen Bowen, Romo, Sam Hurd, Cory Procter, Marc Columbo and Kyle Kosier.

When looking at this and the amount of control he had over the draft while in Dallas, I though I would look at his previous draft while GM of Jets in 2000:-

Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Chad Pennington and L.Coles.

I was interested to see that most of these players bar the exception of Newman and Ware did next to nothing in their first year or two in NFL.

Made me think then of our current roster and how Parcells put in place the pieces of the current Cowboys D & O Lines (Parcells is also noted as having turned around Gurode's career).

Parcells first port of call in Miami was both lines. Our current O Line, Long, Smiley, Grove/Berger, Thomas/Garner, Carey is in 1st yr of playing together and should kick on from next yr on, especially considering our HC. Our D Line, Starks, Langford, Merling, McDaniel not including Ferguson are all athletic, young with size. When considering Parcells previous Defenses, he has never had a massive NT, i.e Burt, Howard and even J Ferguson and consequently Jay Ratliff. I believe one of the before mentioned Langford, Starks or Mcdaniel will become our NT in 2010.

When looking at previous drafts i was also condidering.......what is the most successful position for 1st year production in NFL?

IMO its MLB & OLB, consequently,IMO barring FS our weakest position.

When looking at our roster I am full of optimism. Heres why:-

Henne in really what was his rookie year will no doubt continue to improve 2010

I worry about R.Brown. When healthy I believe he is a TOP 5 RB.......When healthy. Ricky will want to finish on a high:chuckle: and I was impressed with Hilliard. I also believe we will draft RB in 4th or 5th and Cobbs is underated.

Fasano is not great at any one thing but good at most and I believe we draft athletic TE.

With Polite and healthy O Line, another year in, I honestly do not believe there is a better Run blocking unit in NFL.

When considering D Line I believe bewteen Starks, Langford, Merling and Mcdaniel we will have a very productive unit.

This is where i see big overhaul with the only one remaining from last year being Crowder. I see Cameron Wake playing a lot more under Nolan and I would not be surprised to see 2 rookie's starting at MLB and OLB. As stated this and RB is probably the easiest transition from college and I belive we draft in both areas.

Secondary........Rookies Smith & Davis perfomed admirably this year and no doubt will improve and be better for the steep learning curve they had this yr. I also love Will Allen. I believe he is very underated, very much like Ike Taylor in Pittsburgh, very good cover corner......but catch like they have no thumbs.

I like Chris Clemons. He has fantastic range which we lacked this year and is more suited to FS than Wilson. I do believe Wilson may push Bell for SS position next yr but I would not be surprised if we draft another safety this year.

Special Teams. Ted Ginn should be limited on offence and stick to what he does best........kick return, just look at Devin Hester and how he has been ruined.

Dan Carpenter superb and Brandon Fields underated are solid players.

With consistancy at OC which I believe is paramount in production of Henne and the addition of Nolan, I see big things ahead in what is the crucial 3rd year in the Parcells regime!

I found interesting article on the impact Parcells left in Dallas due to draft and FA acquisitions:-

Terence Newman, Jason Witten,Bradie James,Pat Crayton.DeMarcus Ware, Marcus Spears, Marion Barber, Jay Ratliff.Bobby Carpenter, Jason Hatcher, Pat Watkins, Pat McQuistan, Kevin Burnet, Tony Romo, Miles Austin, Stephen Bowen, Romo, Sam Hurd, Cory Procter, Marc Columbo and Kyle Kosier.

When looking at this and the amount of control he had over the draft while in Dallas, I though I would look at his previous draft while GM of Jets in 2000:-

Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Chad Pennington and L.Coles.

I was interested to see that most of these players bar the exception of Newman and Ware did next to nothing in their first year or two in NFL.

Made me think then of our current roster and how Parcells put in place the pieces of the current Cowboys D & O Lines (Parcells is also noted as having turned around Gurode's career).

Parcells first port of call in Miami was both lines. Our current O Line, Long, Smiley, Grove/Berger, Thomas/Garner, Carey is in 1st yr of playing together and should kick on from next yr on, especially considering our HC. Our D Line, Starks, Langford, Merling, McDaniel not including Ferguson are all athletic, young with size. When considering Parcells previous Defenses, he has never had a massive NT, i.e Burt, Howard and even J Ferguson and consequently Jay Ratliff. I believe one of the before mentioned Langford, Starks or Mcdaniel will become our NT in 2010.

When looking at previous drafts i was also condidering.......what is the most successful position for 1st year production in NFL?

IMO its MLB & OLB, consequently,IMO barring FS our weakest position.

When looking at our roster I am full of optimism. Heres why:-

Henne in really what was his rookie year will no doubt continue to improve 2010

I worry about R.Brown. When healthy I believe he is a TOP 5 RB.......When healthy. Ricky will want to finish on a high:chuckle: and I was impressed with Hilliard. I also believe we will draft RB in 4th or 5th and Cobbs is underated.

Fasano is not great at any one thing but good at most and I believe we draft athletic TE.

With Polite and healthy O Line, another year in, I honestly do not believe there is a better Run blocking unit in NFL.

When considering D Line I believe bewteen Starks, Langford, Merling and Mcdaniel we will have a very productive unit.

This is where i see big overhaul with the only one remaining from last year being Crowder. I see Cameron Wake playing a lot more under Nolan and I would not be surprised to see 2 rookie's starting at MLB and OLB. As stated this and RB is probably the easiest transition from college and I belive we draft in both areas.

Secondary........Rookies Smith & Davis perfomed admirably this year and no doubt will improve and be better for the steep learning curve they had this yr. I also love Will Allen. I believe he is very underated, very much like Ike Taylor in Pittsburgh, very good cover corner......but catch like they have no thumbs.

I like Chris Clemons. He has fantastic range which we lacked this year and is more suited to FS than Wilson. I do believe Wilson may push Bell for SS position next yr but I would not be surprised if we draft another safety this year.

Special Teams. Ted Ginn should be limited on offence and stick to what he does best........kick return, just look at Devin Hester and how he has been ruined.

Dan Carpenter superb and Brandon Fields underated are solid players.

With consistancy at OC which I believe is paramount in production of Henne and the addition of Nolan, I see big things ahead in what is the crucial 3rd year in the Parcells regime!

That talent he left in dallas he couldn't win a playoff game w/ and in the 3 years since he has been gone they have won a total of ONE playoff game.

He was NOT in charge of the 2000 draft, Al groh was. Check the atrocious 1997-1999 Jets drafts to see what he did for us drafting wise.

That talent he left in dallas he couldn't win a playoff game w/ and in the 3 years since he has been gone they have won a total of ONE playoff game.

He was NOT in charge of the 2000 draft, Al groh was. Check the atrocious 1997-1999 Jets drafts to see what he did for us drafting wise.

Parcells..

Was he not the head football ops guy in 2000?

Parcells..

Was he not the head football ops guy in 2000?

He was BUT he gave the power to Al Groh.

Groh already has the final word on personnel matters: the draft, free agency, the hiring of coaches and the support people who make up a football operation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/01/30/s...html?scp=16&sq=al groh jets draft 2000&st=cse

Groh had enjoyed a moderately successful first season as the head coach after serving as the Jets' linebackers coach under Parcells for three years. He endured scathing criticism for orchestrating the off-season trade of receiver Keyshawn Johnson to Tampa Bay for two first-round draft picks, and players grumbled about his rigorous practice schedule early in the season. But Groh also presided over the Jets' draft, in which they had an unprecedented four first-round picks, and he led the team to a 4-0 start, which stretched to 6-1. They gained a reputation for mental toughness and became the darlings of the viewing audience with four fourth-quarter comebacks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/31/s....html?scp=2&sq=al groh jets draft 2000&st=cse

Ultimately, though, the Jets' new head coach, Al Groh, has the final say on personnel matters, a power that Parcells himself ceded to Groh when he named Groh as his successor

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/03/10/s...html?scp=19&sq=al groh jets draft 2000&st=cse

he brought alot of talent to the cowboys as I pointed out and all you talk about is the Jets

isn't there a jetswhiner.com you can go to?

he brought alot of talent to the cowboys as I pointed out and all you talk about is the Jets

isn't there a jetswhiner.com you can go to?

so much talent that has only ONE playoff win.

Parcells is an all-time great Head Coach, he is a mediocre evaluator of talent.

I apologize if the truth hurts a bit. The bets thing he did in Miami was set you up w/ Ireland. You shoulod be rooting for him to sail into the sunset at this point.

They still have a butt load of talent on that team. And how are you blaming Parcells for their lack of winning in the playoffs AFTER he leaves? For all you know, he could have taken the cowboys to the super bowl these last two years had parcells stayed.

PS, Jerry Jones is a douche.

Got ya..

But I am sure Bill had alot to do with what was going on...

Its not like he just turned the other way..

Right?

Absolutely, I'm sure he was invovled but groh made those picks. BP got us a 1st rd pick for Belichick as he was the one who negotiated w/ Kraft. I think it's safe to say that didn't work out so well.

I love that BP turned us from laughing stock into one of the better AFC franchises but he did that more w/ coaching than personnel moves.

-He cost us peyton manning by not telling them he'd take him if were to come out in 1997.

-he turned the #1 poick in the '97 draft(Orlando Pace) into james farrior and a bunch of other guys who were off the Jets w/in a few years.

-He cost us belichick

-He walked out w/o completing the job.

I apologize if the truth hurts a bit. The bets thing he did in Miami was set you up w/ Ireland. You shoulod be rooting for him to sail into the sunset at this point.

I dont know about that...

They have alot of great Talent in Dallas and again I am sure he had alot to say about every player that was picked..

May not have had the final say all the time but I bet he had alot of say..

Phins were 1 and 15...then we Go 11 and 5 with Parcell's

If I ever met Parcells I would Thank him up and down for what he and his staff has done for Miami...Playoff win or no Playoff win...

We went from a laughing stock of a league to a divsion winner

They still have a butt load of talent on that team. And how are you blaming Parcells for their lack of winning in the playoffs AFTER he leaves? For all you know, he could have taken the cowboys to the super bowl these last two years had parcells stayed.

PS, Jerry Jones is a douche.

Maybe that talent is overrated? Parcells won ZERO playoff games w/ that talent so he had a chance and HE walked away in 2007- he wasn't fired. If he thought he was winning a SB w/ that talent there is no way he leaves.

In fairness to Parcells, they didn't have first round picks in two of those seasons. One of those was given to NE for Parcellls compensation and the other was traded for Curtis Martin, which I think most Jet fans would agree was a good move.

He still managed to bring in James Farrior, Jason Ferguson, Randy Thomas, Leon Johnson and Jason Fabini during those years and they all turned out to be productive players for many years and some of them are still playing today.

I know you also like to point out those Dallas teams have only won one playoff game, but a better coach then Wade Phillips would be doing more with a talented bunch.

So is A.J. Smith in San Diego overrated as well because the Chargers have all that talent, yet continue to lose playoff games?

Maybe that talent is overrated? Parcells won ZERO playoff games w/ that talent so he had a chance and HE walked away in 2007- he wasn't fired. If he thought he was winning a SB w/ that talent there is no way he leaves.

He did not wanna coach anymore..

Guy is getting old..He wanted a desk job...not to mention Jones brought in TO and Parcells did not like that.

get a life already

Back
Top Bottom