Pasquarelli says:New QB either way next year | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pasquarelli says:New QB either way next year

FrankTheTank

Scout Team
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1645736

Miami coach Dave Wannstedt is playing coy about his choice of starting quarterback for Monday night's game at San Diego and won't announce whether Jay Fiedler or backup Brian Griese will get the nod. Neither player is completely healthy, with Fiedler trying to gut his way through a sprained knee ligament, and Griese still not fully recovered from the toe injury he sustained in preseason. But while the Dolphins remain cryptic over the identity of this week's starter, there is no camouflaging the fact the franchise intends to upgrade the position in the offseason. Fiedler has regularly missed wide-open receivers, most notably in the last two games, and hasn't had a 40-yard completion in four weeks. Griese, in his limited practice time, hasn't convinced coaches or personnel people that he is a long-term solution. So book this one: No matter how the rest of the season plays out, the Dolphins will make upgrading the quarterback spot their top offseason priority. Even though the coaching staff goes to great lengths to defend Fiedler, it knows that he isn't going to be a guy who ever gets the franchise to a Super Bowl. There has been plenty of rhetoric about Mark Brunell wanting to play in Miami, but don't count on it, for any number of reasons. The preference is to get a veteran for a year or so, maybe even Griese if he reduces his financial demands. But the push will be to get a quarterback in the draft, perhaps even the first round, or to trade for a young guy, like Drew Henson. There are financial ramifications with both quarterbacks. Fiedler is due a $2 million option bonus by next March 14, is scheduled to earn a base salary of $5.775 million, and has a cap charge of $7.57 million. Griese is due a roster bonus of over $5 million.

So basically this season is a wash...we do need a young guy badly and I'm not talking about Sage.

Yes, I heard once Griese came in that he would only be here one season because of salary cap issues and his bonus. Are there any young quarterbacks out there that we can get by the time we draft next April? I know some very good ones who will already be gone. Who won't be gone by our turn to pick? Opinions/commentaries?

Houston spent a sixth on Drew Henson (could he really be worse that Aaron Boone ?), but believe they will expect a 1 or best case 2 for him if he gives up w/the Yanks

what could a young QB do for us ? we need a proven guy like maybe brunell or a gamble with couch, heck i would even try to get kurt warner in here..

Well, like I said in an earlier post, unfortunately, I've been told he'll be gone by the time we pick next year, but Eli Manning looked phenomenal when I watched him play last weekend. I know college is different from the NFL, but following his brother's footsteps, he should be great in the NFL as well. Proven, possibly. But we need someone who can throw the deep completion.

Originally posted by dolphan39
Houston spent a sixth on Drew Henson (could he really be worse that Aaron Boone ?), but believe they will expect a 1 or best case 2 for him if he gives up w/the Yanks

I don't know much about Henson but if we are going for a young quarterback, I would prefer we pick one who wants to play the game. Henson either doesn't want to play football or can't make up his mind.

Originally posted by njfinfan
Well, like I said in an earlier post, unfortunately, I've been told he'll be gone by the time we pick next year, but Eli Manning looked phenomenal when I watched him play last weekend. I know college is different from the NFL, but following his brother's footsteps, he should be great in the NFL as well. Proven, possibly. But we need someone who can throw the deep completion.
Rumor has it that when all is said and done, Eli will be the best QB in the family.

Originally posted by Al13
what could a young QB do for us ? we need a proven guy like maybe brunell or a gamble with couch, heck i would even try to get kurt warner in here..

Yea, he has proven he is not longer good enough to start.

How about sage i really want to see him get a chance....if we start to slide big time this season god forbid i would love to see what sage has i think he is what norvs offense needs if norv is even with us next year.

Rebar -

I heard that his arm is better than his brothers'. Is this true in your opinion?

I don't know. I was just relaying something I saw on some football show I was watching a couple weeks ago. It might even have been Inside the NFL. I don't really watch much college ball myself. I don't have the time. Saturdays are my days for getting stuff done around the house - so I can sit around on Sundays watching football. ;)

But that is pretty much what they were saying. They also talked about his command of the offense in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Ryguy1354
How about sage i really want to see him get a chance....if we start to slide big time this season god forbid i would love to see what sage has i think he is what norvs offense needs if norv is even with us next year.

Ya.. why not Sage? :confused:

Kinda old news. The contracts of Fielder and Griese assured that one or both will not be back. If things stay as they are they both are out of here.

I have no problem with bringing in a Couch or Brunell or Warner but the Dolphins should draft a QB this year if they go after an older guy. It could be Hansen or some other unknown currently in college. Hensen's baseball career is all but over, it's just a matter now of getting his baseball contract paid out.

Who knows what Sage is. I do think he deserves a shot next year if he's going to compete against a guy like Fiedler, Griese or Brunell.

It is amazing at just how much Fiedler has regressed this year.
Drafting someone will be hopefully good for the future, but the makeup of this team age wise says that time may be of the essence. Maybe make a play for one of these veterans in the offseason, like Brunell. I don't know about Warner though. And instead of using a #1 on a QB and waiting for him to develop into a starter, play the vet now. And pick up a guy like Bradlee Van Pelt from Colorado State in the 3rd round or so and groom him to be the starter. This guy is a winner.

Henson will NOT likely be traded. Why? Well, he was drafted in the 6th rd and falls under the rookie cap of the Texans. He would have to sign a contract as a 6th rd pick and wouldn't see any real money until 2005 at the earliest. He will most likely be eligible for the 2004 draft and be a 1st or 2nd rd pick and get much more upfront money.

Back
Top Bottom