Pat Summerall | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pat Summerall

djfresh47

R.I.P. djfresh47
Reaction score
Pat Summerall is terrible, he used to be alright, but this guy just can't call a football game anymore. Does anyone know what happened to Mike Patrick who called sunday nite games last season. Listening to Pat next week is going to be horrible.

I believe Mike is recovering from surgery and should be back later in the year.

Pat really is brutal. Madden is getting that way as well if you ask me. I loved how he conveniently forgot his stand against hyper-technical replay use when the officials were reviewing the James fumble when he felt that the Patsies got a bad spot. I don't know if it was hypocricy, senility, or a combination of the two.

Jimmy James said:

Pat really is brutal. Madden is getting that way as well if you ask me. I loved how he conveniently forgot his stand against hyper-technical replay use when the officials were reviewing the James fumble when he felt that the Patsies got a bad spot. I don't know if it was hypocricy, senility, or a combination of the two.
- I agree on Madden and will give Summerall a pass with his new liver. Who are the best now?:confused:

I like the ESPN team (with Mike there) a lot. They're probably my favorites. I pretty much hate the 1 teams for both CBS and Fox. I think I'd take Enberg and Dierdorf second, which is an indictment of just how bad the announcers are these days.

Enberg and Dierdorf are still together, aren't they? I'll admit that I haven't kept up with announcer news this offseason, and I also didn't get to see much of the games today. With the Dolphins not playing, my wife took advantage of my lowered interest level...

Jimmy James said:
I like the ESPN team (with Mike there) a lot. They're probably my favorites. I pretty much hate the 1 teams for both CBS and Fox. I think I'd take Enberg and Dierdorf second, which is an indictment of just how bad the announcers are these days.

Enberg and Dierdorf are still together, aren't they? I'll admit that I haven't kept up with announcer news this offseason, and I also didn't get to see much of the games today. With the Dolphins not playing, my wife took advantage of my lowered interest level...

Enberg and Dierdorf were easily the some of the worst commentators for the NFL, right up there with Theisman, Patrick, & Mcguire. Pat Summeral is head and shoulders above anyone espn could put out there, the MNF crew is good too. Other than that most commmentators suck.

Madden and Summerall are clueless. Madden is a front-runner, when the Cowboys were winning Super Bowl's this guy couldn't get enough of them, I thought he was on there pay roll. Greg Gumbel and Phil Simms are the best 2.

I don't mind Gumbel at all, but Phil is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I cannot believe that he is the same man who actually played football for several years because he comes off as totally clueless several times any time I watch one of his games.

midwest_phinfan said:
Enberg and Dierdorf were easily the some of the worst commentators for the NFL, right up there with Theisman, Patrick, & Mcguire. Pat Summeral is head and shoulders above anyone espn could put out there, the MNF crew is good too. Other than that most commmentators suck.
-Enberg was living in Jim Kelley's basement for 7 years. :roflmao: Don't you rmemeber when he refered to the Biffalo TE (Riemsermer?) and how his Grandfather was the Giant and the Grandmother was the Dwarf in a traveling circus?

-He was nuts over her.:roflmao:

-That was a true story.

midwest_phinfan said:
Are you kidding me Pat Summeral is a horrible commentator he and Madden are the reason that still to this day i dont like watching NFC football on FOX they are so bad it isnt funny Pat shows no emotion what so ever.

Gumbel and Summeral put me to sleep.

Madden has gone senial.

Al Michaels is the best play-by-play guy.

Best color? Maybe Aiken.

Collinsworth is a jacka$$.

As far as a specific announce team, I'm partial to Dick Stockton and Moose Johnston. Stockton is smooth and professional. Johnston is articulate and knows his stuff.

Patrick's flair for overdramatization is often annoying but I think it fits for the really great games, such as the Miami/Denver war a couple of years ago.

Guys who sucks: Randy Cross, Guss Johnson, Madden, Summerall, Gumble, Simms, Joe Buck (football ain't his sport), Don Criqui, Brent Jones, Don Beebe, and the worst of them all...TIM GREEN!

Guys who I like: Al Michaels, Jim Nantz (much better OUT of the stuido), Moose, Stockton, Bill Mass, Theisman and McGuire (aren't affraid to give an opinion and are refresshing), Kevin Harlen.

Guys who suck:

1. Randy Cross- If he is calling a game you are going to watch, hit mute.
2. Joe Theismann- A real jackass.
3. Phil Simms- At first I thought the dumb guy thing was an act--its not.
4. Brent Jones- Dumber than Phil Simms. I did not think this possible until I heard it.
5. Gus Johnson- Doesn't know when to be excited. It's hilarious.
6. John Madden- Has been a parody of himself the past 10 years
7. Tim Green- Who gave this man a job?
8. Dick Enberg- I used to like him. Now, I really don't think he does any work before stepping in the booth. Screws up names, doesn't understand rules, etc..
9. Dan Dierdorf- Was tolerable on Monday Night many years ago. Just a doof now.
10. Todd Christensen- Does he still announce?? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
11. Solomon Wilcots- He'll be doing Bengal/Cardinal games until they **** can him.

Doesn't qualify for the **** list but still needs to be mentioned for one reason or another:

1. Brent Musburger- any list of worst announcers needs to have his name mentioned.
2. Frank Gifford- worst of all time? Who did he have pictures of that he didn't get fired?

Guys who I like:

1. Al Michaels
2. Jim Nantz
3. Dick Stockton
4. Mike Patrick
5. Don Criqui
6. Kevin Harlen
7. Moose Johnston
8. Bill Mass
9. Troy Aikman
10. Cris Collinsworth--not a bad announcer, I just can't stand the prick.

Doesn't currently do NFL games but worthy of mention:

1. Tom Hammond
2. Kirk Herbstreit
3. Bob Greise
4. Brad Nessler

Summerall has lost it. He is just too old now. In the late 80's and early 90's I really enjoyed him and Madden though. His even demeanor was a perfect compliment to Madden's boysterousness.

I don't know what some of you are thinking though saying Theismann is good. I think he is terrible. He talks too much and everything he says begins with " I used to"...

Best commentators (I.M.O.): Al Michaels: He's always on top of the play. Very critical when he needs to be. Always states down and distance, substitutions and is the best in the business at stating situations and clock management.

Joe Buck: I think he'll be the best soon. He has an even demeanor like Summerall used to have and adds a bit of humour to the game. Once he learns to state down and distance and gets better at saying substitutions he'll be at the top.

Best color men: Aikman and Collinsworth: I like Collinsworth's outspokensness. He does'nt kiss any *** and Aikman offers good insights.

Matt Millen: Yes, I know he is not doing it anymore but, when he was he was the best in the game. He offered great insights, was critical, funny and super observent. I wish he would get himself fired in Detroit so he could return to the booth.

I won't get into who is worst because....it would break the record for longest post. there are a lot of bad one's. Greg Gumbel was AWFUL. Dick Enberg is just old. Mike Patrick is too happy and melodramatic (everything is "outstanding"), Dick Stockton is o.k. but, also getting old....the list goes on....

Jimmy James said:

I hate MADDEN!

I also hate Dan Deradorph (sp) That man is just cant call a game.

Back
Top Bottom