Paterno Wins Coach Of The Year Award | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Paterno Wins Coach Of The Year Award

cnc66 said:
the Orangre Metemusal Bowl...loser has to retire...

I think paterno should retire anyway even if he wins

he's in his upper 70's he could like die on the field or something...id hate to see that

actually you guys are all wrong charlie weis deserved it despite there two losses that team almost beat usc. But im glad joe pa got it ;)

Way to go Joe Pa....i can see there are a lot of haters out there, but whatever. Penn State is finally back as a big time program and to THIS Lions fan there's no doubt the 78 year old coach deserves it more than O'Leary.

i've got to got with TT and Kast on this one, O'leary took a team that historically has been crap and didn't even win a game last season and guided them to eight wins, that's big, i think paterno won it because of the sympathy vote. People said to themselves the man's almost 80 he dosent have much time left to coach lets give it tohim.

jnewmant said:
i've got to got with TT and Kast on this one, O'leary took a team that historically has been crap and didn't even win a game last season and guided them to eight wins, that's big, i think paterno won it because of the sympathy vote. People said to themselves the man's almost 80 he dosent have much time left to coach lets give it tohim.

Where did he take that team? I forget the final score of the Tulsa game, what happened there? ;)

Philter25 said:
Where did he take that team? I forget the final score of the Tulsa game, what happened there? ;)
:rolleyes:

psu had a great recruiting class and everyone knew their defense would be good. UCF had nothing. drop the homerism

kastofsna120 said:
:rolleyes:

psu had a great recruiting class and everyone knew their defense would be good. UCF had nothing. drop the homerism

Everyone? In ALL the preseason Big10 scouting reports I read, PSU was ranked 5th in the highest ones I read. Michigan, OSU, Purdue, and Iowa were all picked in every article I read to finish over PSU. PSU was picked to have 5 wins this season.

Great recruiting class? We have 4 freshman WRs that moved into starting roles this year. Thats it. Other than the WRs, this is the same exact team from the 2004 season.

Homerism aside, if O'Leary won his conference, it would have been a much closer race for coach of the year. Since he didnt, it was no contest because JoePa did it with a bigger school....

(the funny thing is JoePa IMO doesnt do squat for PSU. His coordinators deserve the award more than he does. He doesnt call the offense or defense and basically the only thing he does during the games is yell at refs for bad calls...... thats all I ever see)

Philter25 said:
Everyone? In ALL the preseason Big10 scouting reports I read, PSU was ranked 5th in the highest ones I read. Michigan, OSU, Purdue, and Iowa were all picked in every article I read to finish over PSU. PSU was picked to have 5 wins this season.

Great recruiting class? We have 4 freshman WRs that moved into starting roles this year. Thats it. Other than the WRs, this is the same exact team from the 2004 season.

Homerism aside, if O'Leary won his conference, it would have been a much closer race for coach of the year. Since he didnt, it was no contest because JoePa did it with a bigger school....

(the funny thing is JoePa IMO doesnt do squat for PSU. His coordinators deserve the award more than he does. He doesnt call the offense or defense and basically the only thing he does during the games is yell at refs for bad calls...... thats all I ever see)
i didn't say PSU was predicted to be great, i said their defense was predicted to be very good. i remember seeing a big article on posluzny and those guys in espn the magazine or something, and all the talk was about how joepa got the #1 player in the country in high school

Philter25 said:

It's all relative....UCF was predicted in a range to have 1-3 wins this year. They are also the 5th youngest team out of 119 D-1 college football teams. There are only 5 seniors (1 WR, 1 TE, 2 DE, 1 LB) that played an integral role in this team this year. To win this much with THAT young of a team certainly says something.

Joe's legendary status is the reason he won this award. Like I said before, O'leary couldnt help much with what he was dealt with. The man had 1 full year of recruiting (he got on board waaay late the year before and then had a heart attack)....Hell, he went 8-2 to wrap up the season following 17 straight losses dating back to the past coaching staff too. 8-4 with NOTHING to work with...period.

I also forgot to mention that if I recall correctly, when JoePat was asked about him winning coaching honors, he cast off most of the credit to his staff rather than himself. How hands on do you really think JoePa is at this stage in his career?

PSU and Paterno deserve the award. Big tunraround, and some say, PSU is possibly the best team in the country. I as well hope Poz returns next year, best LB in the country period.

TerryTate said:
I also forgot to mention that if I recall correctly, when JoePat was asked about him winning coaching honors, he cast off most of the credit to his staff rather than himself. How hands on do you really think JoePa is at this stage in his career?

FYI:
Philter25 said:

Thats the reason he gave credit to his staff. The PSU coaching staff makes JoePa and IMO its the staff that won the award....

Back
Top Bottom