"Patrick wants to start" (why the Brunell/Ramsey saga isn't over) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Patrick wants to start" (why the Brunell/Ramsey saga isn't over)

DrAstroZoom

Bon vivant
Reaction score
... despite what Joe Gibbs, Armando Salguero and the Jacksonville papers think.

from the Washington Post:

"We'll just wait and see what the Redskins do," said Ramsey's agent, Jimmy Sexton, who represented Steve Spurrier in his resignation. "Patrick wants to start for Joe Gibbs and the Redskins. But if not, Patrick wants to start in the NFL. My overriding concern is Patrick Ramsey and his career."

This, in the same article where Ramsey says he and Gibbs have come to "an understanding."

Ramsey's putting on a game face, but this thing isn't over folks. Not by a longshot.

Of course it isn't. You don't replace a 24 year old QB who has started for the last two seasons with a 34 year old who was more than likely on his way to being cut in the post-season anyhow and expect the kid to take it lying down.

Problem is that Ramsey has no leverage, he is under contract for 3 more years, I dont see what he could do to force a trade?

Originally posted by pats4life
Problem is that Ramsey has no leverage, he is under contract for 3 more years, I dont see what he could do to force a trade?

That is where the first round draft pick comes in...

He can be a nuissance to the Redskins and if he starts to bother enough the Skins will let him go. If i were in his shoes thats what i would do. If the Skins trade him they can get a 1st rounder in return and draft another QB to groom and by the time Brunell is out he can take over.

If I am Gibbs and I plan on making Brunnel my starter I jump all over the first round pick but from everthing I have read he has no intenion on trading him I think he has taken to much medication again! :lol:

The only thing Patrick could do is threaten and execute a holdout. Unfortunately what Gibbs has promised Ramsey is a chance to compete with Brunell for the start at QB.

If Ramsey goes into camp with them, we lose. Time is the enemy. Even if he becomes convinced that the Skins signed Brunell to start, if its late enough its too late to be our starter for the year and expect anything good.

Hold out.

Ramsey did it all to get the confidence of any coach in the NFL this past season.. He produced under the circumstance he was in, he took hits after hits on a weekly basis, and he never complained about the offensive play-calling or the lack of blocking support..

He does all that and he gets demoted to 2nd string?? Ramsey is an NFL starter..

Originally posted by ckparrothead
The only thing Patrick could do is threaten and execute a holdout. Unfortunately what Gibbs has promised Ramsey is a chance to compete with Brunell for the start at QB.

Which goes against Brunell's wishes to be THE starter and avoid a QB controversy.

Although I don't believe that RAMSEY is going anywhere...It is in the Dolphins interest to at least create a Buzz for Ramsey.

I don't think that Gibbs is quite up to speed on how things work in todays Modern Free Agency system.

He is trying to create an atmosphere of COMPETITION at every position. This will make Ramsey a better player in the long run. However, it will hurt his value in the short term. Some players might not be willing to take that risk.

In the interview that I watched with Ramsey yesterday (in the Redskin parking lot), Ramsey was back on the same page with Gibbs. He admitted that he was surprised at the extent the Redskins were pursuing Brunell and that he made the mistake of believing some of the FALSE media reports.

I hope we do keep showing interest in Ramsey. But, I don't see him going anywhere. The Skins only incintive is to keep him on and take his game to the next level. They don't want draft picks. They want proven veteran players.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

If Ramsey goes into camp with them, we lose. Time is the enemy. Even if he becomes convinced that the Skins signed Brunell to start, if its late enough its too late to be our starter for the year and expect anything good.

Yep you are so right if this situation makes it to training camp Ramsey is screwed, not many teams will have the cap space to trade for him, and without the time to learn the new system he wont start for another team with any success IMO, if I am ramsey I come out in the public now and ask for a trade while he still has the leverage of a hold out but it dosent seem like that is they way he is going to approach the situation, I think Gibbs sold him some snke oil yesterday.

Originally posted by PhinstiGator

In the interview that I watched with Ramsey yesterday (in the Redskin parking lot), Ramsey was back on the same page with Gibbs. He admitted that he was surprised at the extent the Redskins were pursuing Brunell and that he made the mistake of believing some of the FALSE media reports.

Really? Because in the same interview ...

When asked if he would request a trade, Ramsey responded. "The only way I would ever want . . . " Ramsey didn't complete the sentence, and quickly added: "I want to play. [Gibbs] said it's an open competition. I welcome that."

I think this is one situation where you have to listen to what the agent says more than what the player says.

Ramsey does not take up much cap space at all. Less than a million I'm positive. Teams would trade for him late I dont doubt that at all. They just wouldn't start him because likely they've already settled their starting QB situation...us included. The only way he can be assured a starting position I think is if he threw a tantrum right now.

If the 'Skins have offerd Bruneel 20 Million, he WILL NOT be a backup! You don't pay a guy 20 Million to ride the pine!

Back
Top Bottom