Patriots release LB Katzenmoyer | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Patriots release LB Katzenmoyer

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Officially a bust!! #28 overall pick in 1999. What did that guy do?? Nothing. He's done.

N.E. Patriots Release Katzenmoyer

FOXBORO, Mass. (AP) - The New England Patriots released injury-plagued linebacker Andy Katzenmoyer on Friday.

The Patriots drafted Katzenmoyer out of Ohio State with their second pick in the first round of the 1999 draft. He started 11 of 16 games as a rookie and recorded 107 tackles, including 3 sacks, but he damaged a disc in his neck against Buffalo.

He had surgery in November 2000 and missed the second half of the season.

During training camp last July 26, he left camp for two days without permission, citing concern about a feeling in his neck he experienced the first time he was hit.

He later said he had "panicked" and that he never contemplated retirement. He was placed on injured reserve on Aug. 28 and did not play during the season that ended with the Patriots winning the Super Bowl.

Katzenmoyer played in 24 games, starting 14, for New England and had 129 tackles.

A call to Katzenmoyer's agent was not immediately returned Friday evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Officially a bust!! #2 overall pick in 1999. What did that guy do?? Nothing. He's done."

Yeah, he may have been a bust, but it seems to be more injury, than talent related. It seems like he did make a pretty nice impact in his rookie season. Just a shame that he was not allowed to fulfill his potential. So many guys end up just like him. Lots of potential, but robbed of a long career by injury problems.

Must have missed that 8 key.

Hey Scot. I don't care if it was injury or not. Nobody gives us that benefit when they talk about Yatil Green. They say "bust" by Jimmy. So it's all fair in my book. hehehe

Katzenmoyer has proven to be the reincarnation of Brian Bosworth. Overhyped middle linebackers from college powerhouses who broke down early and never played to their talent level in the NFL.

Now I bet he wishes he'd have stayed in school and gotten that degree. Remember all that talk about "majoring in football"??

Originally posted by Muck
Now I bet he wishes he'd have stayed in school and gotten that degree. Remember all that talk about "majoring in football"??

I'm sure he made a lot of $$$.

Are his injuries really that bad? I got the feeling they were getting rid of him because he was kinda flaky.

He was injury prone. But he got scared of hitting because the neck injury. Andy recently refused to be measured for a Super Bowl ring. So at least he has some pride.

He isn't the shapest knife in the drawer, though. He had his share of academic problems at OU. Remember him sliding with classes like AIDS awareness, Golf, and Music?? What does it take to fail those classes?? Jeez. Sounds like classes that prepare you for the NFL offseason. So maybe he was thinking about his future. lol.

What's sad is that he had to take those just to get his GPA to a 2.0 and stay eligible.

I had a music course last year and it was one of the hardest courses I've ever taken at Georgetown.

But AIDS awareness and Golf?? C'mon. OU has/had a history of being an "athletes school". Georgetown was probably tougher.

A music course can be pretty simple or very complex. Music covers a lot of territory, and much depends on the professor> I have some authority in this area. I was a music major at a state college in New York State. Katzenmoyer was probably in a typical music appreciation course: listen to various types of music from different periods of music history and write how it makes you feel.

It may be the injury that KOed Katzemoyer's career, but middle linebacker in the pro's is a position that makes some real mental demands. As Muck said, he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. I think on the Wonderlich test at the combine, he got most of his points for spelling his name, which come to think of it might be pretty challenging for someone of his intellect.

I made a pretty good chunk of money in he pro contract, but I'll wager dollars to donuts most of it's gone. I'd be surprised if he had enough sense to invest.

Back
Top Bottom