Pats put 12 on PUP list | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pats put 12 on PUP list

VAMinnow

Scout Team
Reaction score
Just saw this scroll on the bottom of ESPN. Some of the players are Wes Welker, Rodney Harrison, and Nick Kazcur.

My question is:
Are they allowed more than 80 players in camp if these players are on the list. Or are they down to 68 players practicing in camp right now?

68 the total is allowed now , this is training camp PUP which is not the inseason PUP they come back any time and do count against 80.

To the best of my knowledge, there are two kinds of PUP, active and reserved.

With the active-PUP, a player can come off that list at any time. The roster spot does count against the 80-man roster as well as the salary cap.

With the reserved-PUP, a player cannot come off that list till after the sixth week of the season. It does not count against the 80-man roster (or 53-man in-season roster.) After the sixth week the player either needs to be activated or go on Injured Reserve.

A player can only be placed on PUP at the start of training camp. In theory, it is a designation for players who failed their physical. They still get paid and can attend team meetings but are not allowed to go on the field and practice.

I think it's more of an insurance for a team that would like to prevent a potential injury settlement if a player that is not 100% gets injured in training camp. I don't think it's a sneaky way to get around the 80-man roster limit, and I doubt any team would let one of these guys practice since these practices are open to the media and public.

One more point on the reserved list. A player can come off the list and pratice for 21 days before a team has to make a decision if he counts towards the active list.so their is no real rule against praticing Active PUP players after the 6th to 9th week of a season .

Last year their is a big piece how its illegal to pratice a active pup players but in reality it is only illegal to pratice them after 21 days removed from the list and not added to the active list.

Back
Top Bottom