Paul | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Paul

Ya but Barton was on the board and he probably would have been an instant starter at one of the guard spots.
Thats true but after Chop Robinson the DE talent dropped off significantly.

I think what might have made more sense is to trade down from 55 pick up a 4th so we could have kept our 3rd next year and not have had to trade it away to the Eagles. Then with our second round pick we would have had the choice of Beebe Haynes or Zinter who all went 73 81 and 85 respectively.

jim-carrey-i-like-it-a-lot.gif

Thats true but after Chop Robinson the DE talent dropped off significantly.

I think what might have made more sense is to trade down from 55 pick up a 4th so we could have kept our 3rd next year and not have had to trade it away to the Eagles. Then with our second round pick we would have had the choice of Beebe Haynes or Zinter who all went 73 81 and 85 respectively.
I would have been happy with that. But we believe in our coach/teachers, and wanted an OT to develop. Paul was the biggest ball of clay. I can see the reason in that, too.

Ya but Barton was on the board and he probably would have been an instant starter at one of the guard spots.
Sure but then they are back looking for a LT next year (with another pick that will be too late for a ready starter) without the luxury of redshirting him for a year. The need at LT next year is more definite and critical than potentially upgrading a guard spot this year.

Sure but then they are back looking for a LT next year (with another pick that will be too late for a ready starter) without the luxury of redshirting him for a year. The need at LT next year is more definite and critical than potentially upgrading a guard spot this year.
But the guard spot is still a problem for this year. Eich is not the answer and shouldn't be starting at all.

But the guard spot is still a problem for this year. Eich is not the answer and shouldn't be starting at all.
It is an article of faith among many that Eich will single handedly sink the ship if gets so much as a single snap. I am more hopeful that he can get better and find a place to contribute to winning either as a starter or a super backup. Only time will tell for us fans.

I like the pick, and the first pick. Both picks really were positional needs. I didnt think Miami would have chosen Robinson in the 1st, but happy they did. And Paul, without seeing any full games, just the media highlights, I hoped he would be available and he was. I am pretty happy.

Taking Barton would not gave stopped them from taking Paul at 55. Or Morgan at 21 and Beebe at 55.

If Miami had taken Barton at 21 and Paul at 55, then Miami, in theory would have their LT/C/RG and RT spots locked up for 3-5 years. There would be no need to urgently address the O line next offseason.

Although Guards are easy to replace. Our interior line will still need to be addressed next year.

Barton would have also given you the flexibility at any position on the line to fill in for an injury. He would be an immediate starter with rotational flexibility.

Chop. Amazing talent. Sure he'll make many plays. But once Phillips and Chubb come back he would turn to be a rotational option.

It's almost a foregone conclusion Armstead will retire or be done after this season, maybe next.

There is no guarantee Chubb is expected to be moved after this season.
Phillips- unless they don't sign him to an extension, he is the future in Miami.

So no doubt Chop is a phenomenal player. His impact to Miamis overall success will be less then had Miami gone Barton or Morgan or any top rated linemen in round 1 and 2.

I am curios if they knew they would get Kamara, would they still have drafted Chop?

Taking Barton would not gave stopped them from taking Paul at 55. Or Morgan at 21 and Beebe at 55.

If Miami had taken Barton at 21 and Paul at 55, then Miami, in theory would have their LT/C/RG and RT spots locked up for 3-5 years. There would be no need to urgently address the O line next offseason.

Although Guards are easy to replace. Our interior line will still need to be addressed next year.

Barton would have also given you the flexibility at any position on the line to fill in for an injury. He would be an immediate starter with rotational flexibility.

Chop. Amazing talent. Sure he'll make many plays. But once Phillips and Chubb come back he would turn to be a rotational option.

It's almost a foregone conclusion Armstead will retire or be done after this season, maybe next.

Phillips- unless they don't sign him to an extension, he is the future in Miami.

So no doubt Chop is a phenomenal player. His impact to Miamis overall success will be less then had Miami gone Barton or Morgan or any top rated linemen in round 1 and 2.

I am curios if they knew they would get Kamara, would they still have drafted Chop?
I took am skeptical of the Chop pick, he is kind of hard to project and I do not think Chubb is imminently departing (though who knows if we can afford to keep Phillips). I would have gone DB at 21 seeing the options available, Mitchell or DeJean. Then at 55 I liked the three developmental LTs Paul being one though I preferred Sumataia. Neither of those picks struck me as suitable for an interior lineman, given our other needs this season and next and the relative cost of filling IOL via FA or later round picks. We aren't going to have pro bowl players at every position and Guard seems like one where league average will get the job done.

You can’t just go into 2024 season expecting Phillips and Chubb will be back to 2023 level particularly Phillips with that injury.

It may take a whole season to start to get back where they were and unfortunately they may never.

At least that’s the way I would see it if I was a GM.

You can’t just go into 2024 season expecting Phillips and Chubb will be back to 2023 level particularly Phillips with that injury.

It may take a whole season to start to get back where they were and unfortunately they may never.

At least that’s the way I would see it if I was a GM.

That's fine and dandy.

But you can't go into the season expecting Armstead/Wynn and Jackson to stay healthy either. Or their plethora of depth guys who are also hurt almost every year.

That's how I would see it as well.

That's fine and dandy.

But you can't go into the season expecting Armstead/Wynn and Jackson to stay healthy either. Or their plethora of depth guys who are also hurt almost every year.

That's how I would see it as well.
Have concerns about the OL situation as well, I was just pointing that we really can’t count on Chubb or Phillips being back to form at edge either so you can see the edge argument.

Me personally I was on the Barton pick especially after Verse went.

Have concerns about the OL situation as well, I was just pointing that we really can’t count on Chubb or Phillips being back to form at edge either so you can see the edge argument.

Me personally I was on the Barton pick especially after Verse went.

Oh, I have no issues with the Player (chop).

For me, looking at what was on the board and " the big picture", I don't get the argument really at all. Of course, it's just my personal opinion.

As I have said, we'll see if this staff made the right call soon enough

The last few years it's been the same pattern though.

Preseason we are told to not worry about the line. Give it time. We can coach these guys up. This will be the year our injured players stay healthy.

Season rolls a long. We are on fire.

Get about 8 games in and we start noticing the O line issues. But it's ok, because we are winning.

Then we start losing and more people agree the O line is an issue.

At the end of the season the vast majority are calling for an upgrade of the O line.

Pre draft. Let's do it. Let's fix the o line.

Then after the draft it recycles back to Let's see if we can coach these guys up. It's ok, we got great value in out draft pick. We don't need to worry about the o line. It will be ok, don't worry.

It's amazing how quickly so many people, who just a couple months ago were in agreement that we needed to upgrade or fix this o line, are suddenly OK. Again, with the patchwork job and not addressing the Line for the future.

Like i said, we shall see if the same pattern happens, again, this season.

Oh, I have no issues with the Player (chop).

For me, looking at what was on the board and " the big picture", I don't get the argument really at all. Of course, it's just my personal opinion.

As I have said, we'll see if this staff made the right call soon enough

The last few years it's been the same pattern though.

Preseason we are told to not worry about the line. Give it time. We can coach these guys up. This will be the year our injured players stay healthy.

Season rolls a long. We are on fire.

Get about 8 games in and we start noticing the O line issues. But it's ok, because we are winning.

Then we start losing and more people agree the O line is an issue.

At the end of the season the vast majority are calling for an upgrade of the O line.

Pre draft. Let's do it. Let's fix the o line.

Then after the draft it recycles back to Let's see if we can coach these guys up. It's ok, we got great value in out draft pick. We don't need to worry about the o line. It will be ok, don't worry.

It's amazing how quickly so many people, who just a couple months ago were in agreement that we needed to upgrade or fix this o line, are suddenly OK. Again, with the patchwork job and not addressing the Line for the future.

Like i said, we shall see if the same pattern happens, again, this season.
I think this is fair criticism, we’ll see if we can stay healthy and if the interior can hold it down

Back
Top Bottom