Paul | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Paul

The problem is Grier seems to be looking for diamonds in the rough instead of guys that can produce right away. I think that is the wrong approach. The Dolphins need guys that can make an impact in 2024. The only guy he has drafted the last two years that has made an impact is Achane and that’s just not good enough.
Who says Patrick Paul is just a diamond in the rough? He is physically huge and has allowed just 2 sacks in over 1000 snaps in the past 2 seasons. He was broadly projected in the top 4 Offensive Tackle mock drafts. He has very solid credentials.
Terron Armstead is probably nearing the end of his great career. Patrick Paul is likely seen as his left tackle successor and will get the opportunity to learn from him, first hand. Rather than looking at this draft pick as a diamond in the rough, it is more likely intended as a significant long term Dolphin investment.

He was just a slightly above average player in college and I still believe he will be no more than a backup player for the Dolphins once Chubb and Phillips are healthy.
Agree to disagree. Chop Robinson was drafted to be in the pass rusher rotation. He needs further development but he's not just a backup. Chris Koufman even sees him as a prospective future Cam Wake.

Last edited:
So, Armstead stays healthy for the entire season, or Lamm or Smith will sub for him instead of Paul?
There's really no way to say at the moment. That will be sorted out and evaluated in camp and preseason.

If one looks beyond this season when it's almost assured that both TA and Lamm will be done, is it such a bad thing to have an incumbent waiting in the wings, learning from very experienced players?

After much thought and "what if" type thinking, this is what I believe Grier/McD are doing with this kid...bearing in mind we're not in rebuild/build-up mode like we're all used to for the past 20+ years.

Give him a year to develop, teach him some things that he needs to know for the NFL, be a back-up guard / emergency tackle, and just groom the hell out of him in 2024.

2025 rolls around, and voila, he's your starting RT, and Austin Jackson moves to LT, especially if AJ keeps improving (which we can almost expect).

May be giving Grier a lot of credit when and if this works out...because he brought in a raw, immature for NFL play guy in Jackson, developed him over a few years, made him RT and paid him RT money (around the same time he would have to pay a franchise QB), all for him to be your LT of the future. And if Paul improves at a crazy rate, he's your LT for even cheaper, position-wise. I don't know if Grier had the future vision for all that, but if that was his plan, he's working on a level most of us don't give him credit for.

I like his signing at Center, and expect Risner to be a Dolphin for 2024. The OL, if this stuff comes together, may actually be a plus unit under this coaching staff, at least improved over 2023.

i look at it this way: with late 1st and 2nd round picks you arent going to get pkug and play elite players at the most scarce/expensive positions. At least it is highly unlikely. You can have serviceable plug and play pass rushers and LTs that are close to their peak, or you can have developmental players who have elite--Pro Bowl quality-- measurables abd traits but need tme and coaching to put those traits and talents together (or have significant injury risks). Dolphins have chosen the latter path and since my desired end state is more pro bowl caliber contributors on rookie deals i agree with the approach.

Put another way--In 2 years Barton will (75% sure) be a very decent IOL--the kind you can get in free agency for $10 mil per, but Chop could (lets say 50/50 odds) be a 10-15 sack difference making menace to opposing OCs that would cost the team $25+ mil a year in free agency. I'm ok with the team chancing those odds. It is how a team upgrades sustainably.

That is exactly what this draft shows the Dolphins are doing.
We just aren't as desperate as we were before. - LOL

I really REALLY hate the ideas that 1) We are in a temporary Super Bowl window when we have such a young QB and 2) That you should take a player from a lesser position if they'll start right away.

Earlier today, I saw one poster who said they would have taken Barton and then Frazier... and I just wanted to scream.

This, in my mind, is the absolute worst rate to draft. Take two low priority, low cost positions just because we have an immediate need.

Who says Patrick Paul is just a diamond in the rough? He is physically huge and has allowed just 2 sacks in over 1000 snaps in the past 2 seasons. He was broadly projected in the top 4 Offensive Tackle mock drafts. He has very solid credentials.
Terron Armstead is probably nearing the end of his great career. Patrick Paul is likely seen as his left tackle successor and will get the opportunity to learn from him, first hand. Rather than looking at this draft pick as a diamond in the rough, it is more likely intended as a significant long term Dolphin investment.

I'll say he's a diamond in the rough..and that's not an insult. His hand placement is awful, and he lets rushers get into his chest WAY too easy. That's not gonna work in the NFL.

That being said, he crushed it in college even with those bad habits. He cleans up those habits, and the sky is the limit. Love the pick, love the kid, and yeah, he's a diamond that will shine if he's polished and refined.

So when ..and I say WHEN our LT Armstead gets injured he's going in? Our 2nd round LT that nobody has heard of that's as polished as sandpaper can plug in? Not happening really is it. 2nd round picks when you dont have many picks and your OL needs depth does not want words like 'project' banded about especially at Tackle.
Wish Paul well of course. Got my backing 100% but that pick was so unexpected its asking to be questioned imo.

Patrick Paul was brought up and discussed on April 15 in the All Purpose Draft Thread.

I really REALLY hate the ideas that 1) We are in a temporary Super Bowl window when we have such a young QB and 2) That you should take a player from a lesser position if they'll start right away.

Earlier today, I saw one poster who said they would have taken Barton and then Frazier... and I just wanted to scream.

This, in my mind, is the absolute worst rate to draft. Take two low priority, low cost positions just because we have an immediate need.
Long-term prospects at value, needed or not, I'm game with (especially at premium positions).

Back
Top Bottom