Paul | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Paul

He was a former scout for the JETS. That tells me all I need to know about his expertise in regards to offensive linemen. The Jets haven’t had a decent offensive line in years.
He was a scout for them in the Parcells era and they had good OLs then.

I'm not overly impressed with his film. Has work to do with his technique and in the run game. But even I will admit he has high end potential.

My bigger issue is I don't think he can play guard, so this is 100 percent a 2025 pick
So, Armstead stays healthy for the entire season, or Lamm or Smith will sub for him instead of Paul?

He was only rated the 4th best edge rusher in the draft. So why you believe he is going to be better than Chubb and Phillips is beyond me. The only reason he was even drafted by the Dolphins is the injuries to their two starting OLB’s.

He was just a slightly above average player in college and I still believe he will be no more than a backup player for the Dolphins once Chubb and Phillips are healthy.

How a master pass rusher only had 4 sacks and 10 solo tackles in 10 games last year tells me all I need to know about his ability. He is nothing but overrated and YOU ARE WRONG.
That wasn't consensus. Some had him 2nd and some had him 3rd. But even if everyone had him 4th you say it like that is a negative. The 5th edge rusher was Kneeland who went 56th overall, so there was a huge drop off after the top 4, and pass rushing is a premium trait teams look for.
PFF graded him the 2nd best pass rusher in 2023. and his teammates voted him MVP.
You don't evaluate pass rushers based strictly on sacks. Others have told you that already but you keep beating your head against the wall with the 4 sacks. To say that tells you all you need to know indicates you prefer to wallow in willful ignorance and cognitive dissonance.

He likely won't play a ton in 2024 as I imagine Lamm will start at LT when atmstead misses time. The question i have is this - if he takes on to coaching from Barry, mcdaniel and armstead himself and becomes a 1st round caliber LT for us next year that starts every game, would you consider this pick a success even if he doesn't play a snap this season?

The potential with this kid is massive and it seems like he has a great work ethic. This is armsteads replacement for next year. If he improves his technique this year and you combine that with his athletic ability, he might be the best tackle in this draft behind Joe Alt by the end of next season.

I wanted an immediate contributor that would help the team this year so I was pretty sour on this pick at the beginning. Two years from now this could be my favorite pick in the draft of he develops into the player he can

That wasn't consensus. Some had him 2nd and some had him 3rd. But even if everyone had him 4th you say it like that is a negative. The 5th edge rusher was Kneeland who went 56th overall, so there was a huge drop off after the top 4, and pass rushing is a premium trait teams look for.
PFF graded him the 2nd best pass rusher in 2023. and his teammates voted him MVP.
You don't evaluate pass rushers based strictly on sacks. Others have told you that already but you keep beating your head against the wall with the 4 sacks. To say that tells you all you need to know indicates you prefer to wallow in willful ignorance and cognitive dissonance.
Making definitive statements about how good a player is based on nothing but stats without watching film is the height of ignorance.

I didn’t want any developmental players with the first two picks but that seems to be what we got. Neither Robinson or Paul are ready to come in and start immediately and that’s sad considering where they were taken in the draft.
i look at it this way: with late 1st and 2nd round picks you arent going to get pkug and play elite players at the most scarce/expensive positions. At least it is highly unlikely. You can have serviceable plug and play pass rushers and LTs that are close to their peak, or you can have developmental players who have elite--Pro Bowl quality-- measurables abd traits but need tme and coaching to put those traits and talents together (or have significant injury risks). Dolphins have chosen the latter path and since my desired end state is more pro bowl caliber contributors on rookie deals i agree with the approach.

Put another way--In 2 years Barton will (75% sure) be a very decent IOL--the kind you can get in free agency for $10 mil per, but Chop could (lets say 50/50 odds) be a 10-15 sack difference making menace to opposing OCs that would cost the team $25+ mil a year in free agency. I'm ok with the team chancing those odds. It is how a team upgrades sustainably.

Last edited:
He will need to play immediately simply because Phillips and Chubb are coming back after major injuries and neither of them will likely be available when the season starts.

Yet once Chubb and Phillips return to the lineup, Robinson will just be a backup and that will likely be what he will be as long as Phillips and Chubb are with the Dolphins.
I think it is very likely Robinson will be a backup until at least 2026.
If so, he will still be on a rookie contract and the team might have a comp pick coming when another team gives Phillips an irresponsible deal the Dolphins cant match (unless he is willing to extend before then on a deal the team can afford). Either way we will still have plenty of snaps for a high level pass rusher.

The problem is Grier seems to be looking for diamonds in the rough instead of guys that can produce right away. I think that is the wrong approach. The Dolphins need guys that can make an impact in 2024. The only guy he has drafted the last two years that has made an impact is Achane and that’s just not good enough.
RB is one of the easier positions to jump from college to NFL--it is 75% learning pass protection and technically they can still have specialty plays that dont require it. Too soon to dismiss the other recent picks especially Cam Smith. Deferred gratification may not be your thing but it is a viable approach to life and NFL tram building. The day 1 starters that were available to the fins have lower ceilings (and or play less important positions) than the players actually taken who need some more investment to become complete starters.

i look at it this way: with late 1st and end round picks you arent going to get pkug and play elite players at the most scarce/expensive positions. At least it is highly unlikely. You can have serviceable plug and play pass rushers and LTs that are close to their peak, or you can have developmental players who have elite--Pro Bowl quality-- measurables abd traits but need tme and coaching to put those traits and talents together (or have significant injury risks). Dolphins have chosen the latter path and since my desired end state is more pro bowl caliber contributors on rookie deals i agree with the approach.

Put another way--In 2 years Barton will (75% sure) be a very decent IOL--the kind you can get in free agency for $10 mil per, but Chop could (lets say 50/50 odds) be a 10-15 sack difference making menace to opposing OCs that would cost the team $25+ mil a year in free agency. I'm ok with the team chancing those odds. It is how a team upgrades sustainably.
This is the blueprint, draft premium positions early and spend FA money on cheaper OG's ILB's and S's!

Big athlete with high upside. Gets to learn from an ideal mentor for a year. I believe he had one of the highest pass blocking grades.

Both of our draft picks provide immediate insurance for a few of our question names going into the season.

“Paul finished the 2023 season as the best pass-blocking tackle in the FBS, leading the position in pass-block grading (91.5) and true pass-set grading (89.8). He surrendered only one sack and one quarterback hit across 470 pass-blocking snaps”

Agree. Plus, like Chop, it seems like he really wants to be a Dolphin.

i look at it this way: with late 1st and 2nd round picks you arent going to get pkug and play elite players at the most scarce/expensive positions. At least it is highly unlikely. You can have serviceable plug and play pass rushers and LTs that are close to their peak, or you can have developmental players who have elite--Pro Bowl quality-- measurables abd traits but need tme and coaching to put those traits and talents together (or have significant injury risks). Dolphins have chosen the latter path and since my desired end state is more pro bowl caliber contributors on rookie deals i agree with the approach.

Did you see Hunt's contract?

I think that's what you should do at the top of the draft-- swing for the fences. I've never been a huge fan of 'safe' picks. Those guys usually have less upside and the reason they are 'safe' is because they are so-well coached, that they have little room for improvement.

Give me the super-athletic projects.

Interesting take and it ties in w/ what McD said last night about player development.

Did you see Hunt's contract?
Yeah a foolish overpay by a desperate team. Hunt is good but "good enough" can be had fot half the price, and probably with a much shorter term commitment that leaves open the possibility of replacing them with a higher ceiling, lower cost draftee a year or two hence. There are drafts every year to address needs and projected future needs.

Really LIKE this pick...

Yesterday, I said that I hoped we'd get one of Amegadjie, Sumataia, or Paul.

I might have gone with Sumataia, but I'll defer to the pros. Taking a pass blocking OT with oorangatan arms?

Yeah... that's the way to go. Hope he works out, but it was the right position to draft there.
Sumataia is only functional as guard, I wouldn’t use a #2 for a guard.

Paul is a much more interesting pick . The kid from Yale Aregadije is really really raw.

Back
Top Bottom