Paul | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Paul

The problem is Grier seems to be looking for diamonds in the rough instead of guys that can produce right away. I think that is the wrong approach. The Dolphins need guys that can make an impact in 2024. The only guy he has drafted the last two years that has made an impact is Achane and that’s just not good enough.

If Paul was a surefire day 1 starting HOF calibre LT he would have been selected top 5, not 55.

He's not a project, he needs refinement. Those are 2 entirely different things.

Edit: Do you know who was a surefire day 1 starting HOF calibre OT? Tony Mandarich....

Last edited:
Pure elite talent, smart/scruples and finally work ethic. I would always take a project player much higher than other teams because they had the god given talent, were intelligent and hard workers, they were so easy to coach up and eventually became leaders of the team. This is how is used to draft American Legion Baseball prospects. It's a formula that works, in 6 years of coaching I won 3 NJ state championships and one North East Regional championship. Great post! Also, Robinson is not a project, he is a immediate starter.

I think there is a pretty facinating study that we can do on what you’re talking about

Latu the ultimate technician to get to the Qb vrs the ultimate bull in a china shop relentless player in our boy Chop.

At the next level the technician who lacks some explosive qualities might get surpassed by the explosive player who’s willing to learn some better technique

The beauty of this is I dont see just an athlete masking as a pass rusher, I dont see a lack of instincts with Chop

My 2 cents on the Paul pick:

When I first saw his overall ranking relative to where he was drafted, I was a bit squeamish but the more I dig into this kid, I’m actually cautiously excited to see what he can become. I even saw him mocked to Miami in the 1st round a couple of times but that was pretty early on in the mock draft process.

What I like:

When a guy can grade out as the best pass blocking OT in college football and the 2nd best OT overall, I struggle to see why he’d be considered a reach in the 2nd round, unless he were a ticking timebomb on the injury front. I love, love, LOVE his size. It’s always a recipe for disaster when a team reaches on a
OT with short arms. Paul’s physical measurements are off the charts and that checks maybe the most important box for me. I also love seeing that this kid is always available to play. Hasn’t missed a start in his last 3 years at Houston.

Lastly, I like Grier’s track record here. My gripe with him has never been about the OL he’s ended up drafting, it’s been his reluctance to draft even more OL in the early rounds that has bothered me. It turns out he was right in selecting Austin Jackson and he’s also the GM that drafted Robert Hunt and helped him get $100 million on his 2nd contract. I like McDaniel’s and even Butch Berry’s track record with O-lineman during their time in Miami. Almost every write-up I’ve read on Paul mentions that with the right coaching, he could turn into a high level starting LT in this league. Well, I think he’s got the right coaching, so I’m excited to watch him grow and I hope it happens fast!

Love the optimism,LOL, and you are totally wrong, Robinson will be better than both right out of the gate. He is just an elite athlete and has been pass rusher his entire football career and is a master at it. So again, YOU ARE WRONG!
He was only rated the 4th best edge rusher in the draft. So why you believe he is going to be better than Chubb and Phillips is beyond me. The only reason he was even drafted by the Dolphins is the injuries to their two starting OLB’s.

He was just a slightly above average player in college and I still believe he will be no more than a backup player for the Dolphins once Chubb and Phillips are healthy.

How a master pass rusher only had 4 sacks and 10 solo tackles in 10 games last year tells me all I need to know about his ability. He is nothing but overrated and YOU ARE WRONG.

My 2 cents on the Paul pick:

When I first saw his overall ranking relative to where he was drafted, I was a bit squeamish but the more I dig into this kid, I’m actually cautiously excited to see what he can become. I even saw him mocked to Miami in the 1st round a couple of times but that was pretty early on in the mock draft process.

What I like:

When a guy can grade out as the best pass blocking OT in college football and the 2nd best OT overall, I struggle to see why he’d be considered a reach in the 2nd round, unless he were a ticking timebomb on the injury front. I love, love, LOVE his size. It’s always a recipe for disaster when a team reaches on a
OT with short arms. Paul’s physical measurements are off the charts and that checks maybe the most important box for me. I also love seeing that this kid is always available to play. Hasn’t missed a start in his last 3 years at Houston.

Lastly, I like Grier’s track record here. My gripe with him has never been about the OL he’s ended up drafting, it’s been his reluctance to draft even more OL in the early rounds that has bothered me. It turns out he was right in selecting Austin Jackson and he’s also the GM that drafted Robert Hunt and helped him get $100 million on his 2nd contract. I like McDaniel’s and even Butch Berry’s track record with O-lineman during their time in Miami. Almost every write-up I’ve read on Paul mentions that with the right coaching, he could turn into a high level starting LT in this league. Well, I think he’s got the right coaching, so I’m excited to watch him grow and I hope it happens fast!
I’m not crazy about the Paul pick and believe it is probably 50-50 he will ever become a solid starter in in the NFL.

Yet I still like the selection of Paul in the 2nd round more than I like the selection of Robinson in the first round. I hated that pick and I think selecting him was a total waste of a first round draft pick.

I see the Robinson pick being a similar pick to the Iggy pick in 2020.

There is a lot of factors that go into someone having a good NFL career. Coaching and scheme are just as important as physical attributes and intelligence. Paul has both those traits and I believe in the coaching staff as they’ve proven to do well in developing the OL. He’s not a project, he just needs to work on some stuff. It’s going to be huge to see him succeed when Armstead goes down.

Now we don’t have to worry about LT next year in the draft and hope a rookie can start out the gate. Paul gets a year to line and will obviously see action throughout the year.

He will need to play immediately simply because Phillips and Chubb are coming back after major injuries and neither of them will likely be available when the season starts.

Yet once Chubb and Phillips return to the lineup, Robinson will just be a backup and that will likely be what he will be as long as Phillips and Chubb are with the Dolphins.
I think it is very likely Robinson will be a backup until at least 2026.
There are no DE backups, they are rotational and situational.

They drafted him early than he should have been because he would have been gone on our next pick. Simple as that. He has the athletic ability and size for the position. Barry will make him overachieve. Without Barry, a risky pick.

I didn’t want any developmental players with the first two picks but that seems to be what we got. Neither Robinson or Paul are ready to come in and start immediately and that’s sad considering where they were taken in the draft.

That's what most analysts are saying is they're projects. It may be common to draft hit and miss guys but it seems I remember Grier's misses more because we never keep his hits long. Along the OL and at LB/DE his misses include but are not limited to:

Deiter - Guard 3rd
Kindley - Guard 4th
Eichenberg - OL 2nd
Prince - OT 6th
Goode - OLB 7th
Strowbridge - DE 5th
Asiata - G 5th
Weaver - DE 5th
Harris - OLB 1st
Iggy - 1st

Cam Smith, Raekwon McMillan, E Ezukanma etc, etc, etc. Grier is what he is in the draft, a GM that is not afraid to chances and sometimes they pan out, Tunsil, and sometimes they don't. I think at this point he needs more hits than misses to shed his image as an average to above average GM. The NFL has not done him any favors stripping the team of too many high draft picks because they hate Ross and Miami for some reason.

I didn't read through this thread, but I have a few thoughts on this pick.

He wasn't my favorite prospect, but there's no way he was a reach. Some mocks had Paul going to KC in round 1.

I liked seeing how much he improved from his 2022 tape to his 2023 tape. Per reports he started working with Duke Manyweather between those two years. By all accounts, Manyweather is the best independent OL coach on the planet. Paul taking to coaching like that bodes well for his continuing development.

Per reports this was a Butch Barry pick. He believes that he has the tools and readily fixable technique issues to become a starting T. People may want to b*tch about Grier, but Barry has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Chambers, I assume that your (for the most part) doesn’t include the Paul selection? Because it was obvious in previous posts you wrote that Paul was not a player you wanted the Dolphins to draft.

I knew absolutely nothing about Paul prior to the Dolphins drafting him. Yet I have appreciated your knowledge on draft picks over the years and the fact you were down on Paul before the Dolphins even drafted him caused me to question this pick once the Dolphins made the selection.

I'm not overly impressed with his film. Has work to do with his technique and in the run game. But even I will admit he has high end potential.

My bigger issue is I don't think he can play guard, so this is 100 percent a 2025 pick

Back
Top Bottom