Per NFL Total Acesss, The 49'ers are going with... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Per NFL Total Acesss, The 49'ers are going with...

I will tell you why the Niners will pick Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers went to the local big college in Berkeley. A lot of Niner fans are either alums or at least follow the Bears on a regular basis. The Niners fans might not know who Smith is exactly. Rodgers is a bigger "name" and will put more people in the seats. Ultimately, that is what it comes down to. Rodgers will put more people in the seats, meaning more money for the owner.

Plus, Rodgers is a little more polished to come in and start right away, whereas Smith needs work on dropping back and more. Plus, rumors out here in the Bay Area are that Gruden is interested in Tim Rattay as a backup to Griese. That would leave the door open for a rookie to come in and start right away. Rodgers is a perfect fit. Plus, more rumors have them close to signing Rodgers already. They just jumped on this Smith bandwagon because they saw how Miami had the position of power in the draft and they wanted it. I would bet my house that the Niners won't pick Smith.

i disagree. smith has more upside... forget that crap about alumni's and such... they'll take the better player

I don't even know why Smith has more upside. Rodgers has the better arm and accuracy.

Samphin said:
This is BS. San Fran saw that Miami is getting all kinds of attention for the possibility of a trade and now they want some. Since the trade is centered around Alex Smith, they are now jumping on late trying to get a good deal. It may work, but I see right through it. The Niners want Rodgers and it is the safest pick. This is BS.

Just saw it the first time myself and have to agree that Nolan is upset b/c the Niners are not getting any attention. I dont think he understands that this isnt going to give them any attention either. This is not the draft to be #1.

Niners narrow No. 1 list to three candidates

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
April 18, 2005
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) -- Just how secretive are the San Francisco 49ers in the final days before the NFL draft? Their top personnel man claims he doesn't know who the head coach wants with the top pick.

``No, honestly,'' said Scot McCloughan, the Niners' vice president of player personnel. ``We have not spoken about it.''

With five days left to make the biggest decision of his first season in charge of the franchise, coach Mike Nolan narrowed the Niners' choices to three players on Monday: quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith and receiver Braylon Edwards.

But with no clear No. 1 prospect in this spring's crop, the 49ers are determined to keep all their options open. They are in contract talks with the agents for all three and Nolan doesn't expect to reveal his choice until it's announced by commissioner Paul Tagliabue on draft day.

And that's only if the 49ers keep the pick. They have discussed trading down with many teams, including every club in the draft's top 10. Though San Francisco could use talent upgrades at nearly every position, the Niners also would love to allow another team to risk that enormous signing bonus and long-term commitment in exchange for more picks or players.

DOLFANMIKE said:
I think we assume the trade was based on Alex Smith because thats who we think we'd like to take. Tampa may have wanted a WR or other position there too.

You EVIL genius you! :D

Back
Top Bottom