Perkins: Tannehill Seems Poised To Return To 2016 Levels | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Perkins: Tannehill Seems Poised To Return To 2016 Levels

Vaark

The Intra-Dimensional Felinians R Coming 2 Save Us
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Optimism based on the passing and mobility, albeit limited under OTA conditions. However, if Tannehill can pick up where he left off his last 8 games where aside from YPG which needs to go up (and maybe will without Landry's limitations), there's no question over that stretch he otherwise put up Elite 8 to Top 10 QB numbers, the team should be fine..... And then of course regardless of those numbers during that stretch there's that 7-1 equalizer known as "scoreboard"
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-20180616-story.html
excerpts:
While Cleveland wide receiver Jarvis Landry was using the offseason to sharpen his tongue, Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill was using the offseason to sharpen his game. It was against this backdrop Thursday, the last day of offseason workouts, during which Tannehill connected with DeVante Parker for a beautifully-executed 60-yard touchdown pass.

That’s the QB,” left tackle Laremy Tunsil said. “I love having him back. He came off an ACL injury and we missed his leadership last year. Having him back is big for the offense.”

Anecdotal evidence from offseason workouts says Tannehill appears poised to return to his 2016 level, which included a career-best 93.5 passer rating.

“I think when he got hurt a couple of years ago, he was playing the best football that he’s ever played,” wide receiver Kenny Stills said.

During the four-day OTA that concluded Thursday, the final one before the team reconvenes for training camp in late July, Tannehill even used his legs to scurry upfield on a run-pass option.
That play and others seem to indicate Tannehill’s left knee, which gave way last August early in training camp, is solid.

Tannehill has also been sharp mentally. He spent all of last season observing and now feels he knows the system even better.

Tannehill spent part of the offseason trying to strike a balance between scolding and uplifting his teammates.

Last edited:
I hope it doesn't take 6 games to get back to where he was....

I hope it doesn't take 6 games to get back to where he was....

I think it would be ignorant to think it won’t take at least a couple games to shake off the rust. 20 games is a lot of football to miss. Hopefully Gase brings him along at slower pace the first few games.

This article is quite bold for off season work outs. The 60 yard tds are cute but they don’t mean anything with no pads. The positive is no set back with the knee. He didn’t miss any days due to soreness or swelling. The only other real takeaway from OTA is he started building chemistry with the new WRs and TEs.

I think it would be ignorant to think it won’t take at least a couple games to shake off the rust. 20 games is a lot of football to miss. Hopefully Gase brings him along at slower pace the first few games.

This article is quite bold for off season work outs. The 60 yard tds are cute but they don’t mean anything with no pads. The positive is no set back with the knee. He didn’t miss any days due to soreness or swelling. The only other real takeaway from OTA is he started building chemistry with the new WRs and TEs.

I projected 4-5 games for Tannehill, AND the receivers, AND the OL to get in sync. 6 games seems long

I projected 4-5 games for Tannehill, AND the receivers, AND the OL to get in sync. 6 games seems long
Im more concerned about them. The starters are pretty set at this point which should help. Hopefully, they won't be doing the constant-swapping-positions-in-camp thing, never was a fan of that

It's coming. You won't recognize the Miami Dolphins this year. We are going to be a force. There won't be anymore dumbed down playbook bc players can't grasp it.
Save it. Rt 4650 yards, 36TDs to 11ints.

Please be right. How awesome would that be??

I am hopeful but not as confident as many are on here.

A lot of speedsters on this team . . . Guys designed to shine in a minicamp and OTAs setting.

Let’s get through camp, preseason and into September and see what we have.

Want to see Ryan get hit some, both in the pocket and on the move.

I am hopeful but not as confident as many are on here.

A lot of speedsters on this team . . . Guys designed to shine in a minicamp and OTAs setting.

Let’s get through camp, preseason and into September and see what we have.

Want to see Ryan get hit some, both in the pocket and on the move.

I trust you mean he does not get hurt or gun shy from the hits that come his way and avoids many hits by moving around in the pocket and escaping out of the pocket and occasionally even running the ball.

If there is one thing I am not ever going to worry about with Ryan Tannehill, it is him being able to take hits.

I actually share concerns that he may have a slow start (has hasn't played meaningful football in nearly 2 years) and that the injury / brace might adversely affect his throwing or mvoement. But that he's going to get hit and it's going to impact him? Nah.

I'm thinking the first four or five games he will look like 2016 or maybe 2015 Tannehill. After that, if the o-line stays healthy, I think we see qb play at a level we haven't seen in decades. If the line is playing at a top 10 level I have no doubt Tannehill plays at a equal or higher level.

Do we play him and the offense a little extra in the preseason games to give them more time to gel? Our first 4 games are a must win (for our season to have meaning) given our December schedule.

My gut reaction is to play him a little extra to kick off the rust. I'm thinking the team is of the mindset of if we're going to say he's healthy and ready to let's treat him no differently than we would if he played in all 16 games in 2017. If they baby him along or handle him differently that gives an impression than they think he's not ready to go.

Tannehill will need a little bit of time. This is why having a good running game will be huge. If we can get the running game going then it'll make it that much easier for Tannehill to get going without having to carry the team early on.

Back
Top Bottom