Pete Caroll is the guy | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pete Caroll is the guy

K-Rob said:
Actually, that was Parcells. I remember the network gurus ragging on him because that was the last time Miami beat the Jets in NY (or something like that).

Anyway, I remember Pete Carroll most because of the choking gesture he gave Pete Stoyanovich (sp?). I think that was 92' wasn't it?
The fake spike was in 1994. Carroll was the coach at the time, and if it wasn't him it was Coslett.

Definetly not Parcells

Carrol had no class. When he became coach of NE, it solidified that the pats were my most hated team in the division. Yes, more than the bills and jets. Other than the choke thing to show he's truely graceless, do you remember the game against the Bills when the bills were called for a PI on the games last hail marry play? Alright I hate the bills, but come on, a PI on a hail marry when in fact the NE WR were doing as much pushing as anyone? Okay, I'm not condoing what the bills did next -- they walked off the field for the extra point. But what does carrol do? Does he quietly thank the Pat-loving lord that the refs gave them a free W and modestly kick the 1 point and call it a night? No, that wasn't good enough, for he just had to go for the 2 point convert against an imaginary defence, and then jump up and down grinning like a drunken jack-azz. What a punk. belive me, I grew up hating the bills first and foremost, but for the first and only time in my life I felt sorry for them. As for Carrol, his face that night, along with the choke motion are etched as my only NFL memories of him. F-- No, I don't want him in Miami.
And by the way, 26-21 is nothing to wet your pants about.

First, we need Scott Pioli, then with him, we get Charlie Weis. For all you Feeley Fans, he is the man for AJ to stand a chance. Look at what he did with a 6th round pick name Tom Brady. He also knows how to win, and show much more passion and emotion on the sidelines then Wanny does. He also has learned from the best in the league, and his players love and respect him.

Icer said:
The fake spike was in 1994. Carroll was the coach at the time, and if it wasn't him it was Coslett.

Definetly not Parcells
It was Carroll.

I don't think Caroll is gonna leave USC, I think he'd turn out to be an average head coach in the league which he was before, going after college coaches is not as bad as people make it out to be, JJ was a college coach and turned around the Cowboys with that said Nick Saban or Tedford have to be at the top of Phins list of College coaches, which they are, I hope Spurrier goes to the Gators and not here, I'll be a "homer" but if the Phins draft Rodgers or Leinhart, bring in a decent d-tackle, and a veteran "leader" on the Oline this team can contend for atleast a playoff spot. I hope they bring in a 1st time NFL head coach which will lead to some badly called game-see John Fox, Jack Del Rio, but with as bad as they are this year they can still turn it around by getting the DLine healthy-how much does Taylor miss any one of the guys from last season? Alot of people are in love with AJ, but I'm sick of guys who can be average Qb's AT BEST, this team has needed to bring in a Qb for 5-6 years but hasn't, if they do not draft Aaron Rodgers or Matt Leinhart whoever the GM is should be fired.

PhinzPhanatic said:
Are you kidding me? He was pathetic in NE. He is a great college coach but cannot handle the NFL.

Not saying I think he's the guy but you have to give a benefit of doubt to him and his NFL past.

Bellichek was considered a pathetic coach after his Browns days but it's pretty obvious that those days were just growing pains and that he's a good coach now. Maybe Carroll is similar.

Cannonboy said:
He will never leave USC, he's God there.

I'm not so sure about that, there have been rumors he wants to get back in the NFL. My only guess for that is he wants to prove he can coach in the NFL.

He wasn't a bad coach, we definitely fired him too quickly but his style is mroe suited to the College game and he's done an amazing job at SC. I think he'd be better this time around from all of his experience but i'd still look in another direction before focusing on Pete.

Icer said:

Definetly not Parcells

I'm remembering what it was about Parcels that jarred my memory. It was at the tail end of the Jets 8 win streak over Miami and they mentioned that Parcells was the last coach of the Jets to loose to Miami before the streak. And they also replayed the fake spike for some other reason. I guess they were going over the storied past of their rivalry. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

BTW, I still don't want Carroll here either. I'm likening the idea of Charlie Wies though.

K-Rob said:
I'm remembering what it was about Parcels that jarred my memory. It was at the tail end of the Jets 8 win streak over Miami and they mentioned that Parcells was the last coach of the Jets to loose to Miami before the streak. And they also replayed the fake spike for some other reason. I guess they were going over the storied past of their rivalry. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

BTW, I still don't want Carroll here either. I'm likening the idea of Charlie Wies though.

Pete Carroll was the coach for the Fake Spike game. Parcells got swept in his first year of '97 then the Jets didn't lose to Miami again until '02.

Anyway, I remember Pete Carroll most because of the choking gesture he gave Pete Stoyanovich (sp?). I think that was 92' wasn't it?

That was 1992 but h was DC not HC at the time. he was the DC for Bruce Coslet from '90-'93(he's a very good DC) then was elevated to HC when they fired Coslet for the '94 season then spent 2 years w/ SF before returning to the AFC east to become HC of NE in '97.

Bonedoc7777 said:
He has made USC great again and has past experience, this is the guy
caroll has a vast ocean of good players to work with. USC has the best team money can buy, the alumni make sure of it! ;)

K-Rob said:
Actually, that was Parcells. I remember the network gurus ragging on him because that was the last time Miami beat the Jets in NY (or something like that).

It couldn't possibly have come against Parcells-led Jets. If you don't believe me, take a look at the roster. Parcells never had Boomer for his QB. At that time, Boomer Esiason was the QB for the Jets, with Rob Moore for Jets WR. Neither was around when Parcells arrived. That means either that fake spike came during Kotite era, or Carroll era. (Of course that play came during Carroll era, and Jets went from 7-4 to 8-8 all the way, slipping out of playoffs. They didn't fare any better next year, going 6-10. It of course spelled PINK SLIP for Carroll, and Official Kotite Era started from the next season, starting the darkest time for Jet fans.)

dolfan06 said:
caroll has a vast ocean of good players to work with. USC has the best team money can buy, the alumni make sure of it! ;)

How did they do before he got there? USC had been irrelevant in CFB since John Robinson left in the early 80s until Pete got there and now they are a premiere program again.

It couldn't possibly have come against Parcells-led Jets. If you don't believe me, take a look at the roster. Parcells never had Boomer for his QB. At that time, Boomer Esiason was the QB for the Jets, with Rob Moore for Jets WR. Neither was around when Parcells arrived. That means either that fake spike came during Kotite era, or Carroll era. (Of course that play came during Carroll era, and Jets went from 7-4 to 8-8 all the way, slipping out of playoffs. They didn't fare any better next year, going 6-10. It of course spelled PINK SLIP for Carroll, and Official Kotite Era started from the next season, starting the darkest time for Jet fans.)

I already explained it a couple of posts before this one. By the way, we were 6-4 heading into that game and you guys were 7-4 so if we held on we would have been tied for the division lead. Contrary to popular belief that is not the game that sunk our season. We were still in the playoffs as a WC had the season ended after that Miami game but a week later we lost a heartbreaker at NE which crushed their hopes and they gave up and finished 6-10 which led the the brilliant move made by then owner Leon hess to fire Carroll and replace him w/ Rich Kotite.

Back
Top Bottom