Pete Carroll on Pat Turner | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pete Carroll on Pat Turner

does this mean the FO can stop picking morons who have have very slow learning curves, are too slow, or are developmental players in the early rounds? That is what I want to know.

Interesting point dude... now, correct me if I am wrong.. doesnt Bill Parcells draft trends show he likes 3 year starters/captains?

Now considering the recently documented news on the draft being very much Jeff Ireland's baby... is the Pat Turner pick evidence of a varying philosophy?

Sticking with 3 year starters/Captains would/should eliminate the "morons with slow learning curves" as mentioned in the quote?

Exactly was I was think we should trade him back for a 3rd .... How did Brian Hartline make the field. Either this guy was hurt or is dumb thats why he was not playing... He didnt look hurt....

Hartline got on the field b/c he played better and produced. The bashing of this FO draft picks needs to slow down a bit guys. Not ever pick can be a hit. Every FO has their misses. They missed on Pat White and Turner, but hit on:

Long
Henne
Merling (somewhat)
Langford
Hartline
Davis
Smith

That doesn't include the FA acquisitions like Bess, Starks, etc.

To put together the team this FO has put together after the talent (or lack there of) we had after our 1-15 season is a very impressive feat.

Hartline got on the field b/c he played better and produced. The bashing of this FO draft picks needs to slow down a bit guys. Not ever pick can be a hit. Every FO has their misses. They missed on Pat White and Turner, but hit on:

Long
Henne
Merling (somewhat)
Langford
Hartline
Davis
Smith

To put together the team this FO has put together after the talent (or lack there of) we had after our 1-15 season is a very impressive feat.

NOOOOO you must not be positive on finheaven!! :ohno::ohno:

Long
Henne
Merling (somewhat)
Langford
Hartline
Davis
Smith

Oh please cut it out -- we missed HUGE on Ryan vs Long, and EVERY other pick on your list is yet to be proven an ALL Pro.

These guys deserve no better grade than "C" right now IMO.

well i mean... people call him a bust and everything...

we didn't even see him start an nfl game...

give him some time, larry fitzgerald, anquan boldin, andre johnson, they didn't become superstars in one year (not saying he's superstar-bound, but you get the point)

we're dying for a big target, so what are we gonna do, give up on every young WR we bring in after their first season wasn't a success ? :rolleyes:

where did the "three year rule" went ?

Oh please cut it out -- we missed HUGE on Ryan vs Long, and EVERY other pick on your list is yet to be proven an ALL Pro.

:bobdole:. Every pick has to be all pro? Long vs Ryan really?

Its hard to tell sarcasm on a message board, and if you are being sarcastic then forgive me, but WTF are you talking about?

Actually he has a point. Long aside what do we really have? Henne was descent for a first year starter, but could fall of the planet in year 2 like many QBS do. Davis and Smith were no where near as good there rookie year as a guy like Revis. Langford looks like he will be a servicable starter, Merling hasn't shown anything special. Hartline was a pleasant surprise, but without a true number 1 could be taken out of games.

There is a honest reason to question are these players good or was our roster just that bad they got a shot? I try to look at it is as could they start and make a impact on the leagues better teams. This year will be a telling year for many of them. I expect Langford has a solid year.

we have one of youngest rosters in league, finished 11-5 last year and 7-9 this year against toughest schedule in NFL........& still people question FO. Look at the Rams, Lions & Bucs............that was us!

Actually he has a point. Long aside what do we really have? Henne was descent for a first year starter, but could fall of the planet in year 2 like many QBS do. Davis and Smith were no where near as good there rookie year as a guy like Revis. Langford looks like he will be a servicable starter, Merling hasn't shown anything special. Hartline was a pleasant surprise, but without a true number 1 could be taken out of games.

There is a honest reason to question are these players good or was our roster just that bad they got a shot? I try to look at it is as could they start and make a impact on the leagues better teams. This year will be a telling year for many of them. I expect Langford has a solid year.

Ryan, their first draft has played all of 2 NFL seasons. Long has been a Pro Bowler in both of those seasons (for whatever its worth), Henne has shown he can start in this league, Merling has had his moments, and Langford has shown he can play in the league as well. Murphy was a bust, but are we expecting all of the players in the top 4 rounds to be the best in the league at their positions (we got Fasano and Ayodele in a trade for a 4th rounder as well)? 2008 was a great draft, but its really too early to give it a fair grade.

I'm not even getting into last years draft, as again it is way too early to give these guys a grade but I will say that I liked what I saw of Davis, Smith, and Hartline.

And to say we busted on taking Long instead of Ryan is completely absurd. Ryan played relatively well as a rookie, but fell back to earth last year (Henne had a higher completion %, their yards/completion were almost identical (even though Atl has a far superior receiving corps) and their passer ratings were pretty close Ryan - 80.9, Henne - 75.2). All of this while being thrust into a starting situation when Penny went down while Ryan was in his 2nd season as an established starter more familiar with the offense and his team mates.

WTF...ONLY TWO years ago our team was 1-15 with our core of young players being Beck, Brown, Ginn, Satele, Hadnot, Carey, Roth, Crowder, J. Allen, R. Hill...

TWO YEARS later we have gone 18-14, WON a DIVISION TITLE over a team we finished 15 games behind the previous year, contended for the playoff spot until the last week of the season last year while battling key injuries and have a core of Henne, Brown, Bess, Hartline, Long, Grove, Carey, Starks, Langford, Merling, Dansby, Smith, Davis...AND This year's draft is a month away.

Carroll also was the guy who said it was a huge mistake when Sanchez declared for the draft. A playoff game, tons of media exposure, an entire city in love with him, and a few crappy car commercials later, I'm sure Sanchez regrets that decision.
Carroll was right. Sanchez didn't carry the Jets. The Jets carried Sanchez with the #1 rushing attack and #1 defense.

53.8% completion, 12 TD passes, 20 interceptions, 63 QB rating when teams focused on stopping the Jets running game hardly qualifies as Sanchez proving Carroll was wrong.

Carroll was right. Sanchez didn't carry the Jets. The Jets carried Sanchez with the #1 rushing attack and #1 defense.

53.8% completion, 12 TD passes, 20 interceptions, 63 QB rating when teams focused on stopping the Jets running game hardly qualifies as Sanchez proving Carroll was wrong.

He did have a terrible season but he did surprisingly well in the playoffs. If anything he's got a lot more exposure and expirience than an extra year of college would have given him.

He did have a terrible season but he did surprisingly well in the playoffs. If anything he's got a lot more exposure and expirience than an extra year of college would have given him.

He did get lucky going to the Jets. If he were to have gone to say KC or Buffalo he would probably be compared with Ryan Leaf right now.

He did get lucky going to the Jets. If he were to have gone to say KC or Buffalo he would probably be compared with Ryan Leaf right now.

That's for sure, plus he woulda gotten killed behind their olines.

Back
Top Bottom